Newbie here. I just purchased one after a lifetime of Weber charcoal, I have been converted! Very nice quality and I only paid $819 at Al Grace Appliance in Rockford IL.

firehouse - glad you found us and congrats on the Keg. It's a fine kamado.

Please stop by the Introductions section and properly introduce yourself. Thanks. We look forward to your posts!

This would be on my shortlist if and when I'm ever in the market for a new kamado. Just not having to worry about cracked fire boxes and chips and Humpy-Dumptying it would sure be an added benefit.

Firehouse, is that rockford's everyday price, or was it a sale? I live in a no man's land where green eggs are my only option.

Firehouse, is that rockford's everyday price, or was it a sale? I live in a no man's land where green eggs are my only option.

MattM, I cannot be sure on the price. It was stickered in the store as $899. I did buy it along with a fridge, but you could always give them a call and just say you heard about that price.

firehouse - glad you found us and congrats on the Keg. It's a fine kamado.

Please stop by the Introductions section and properly introduce yourself. Thanks. We look forward to your posts!

Thank you Sir,

This looks like the perfect travel Kamado/Keg, I am really close to buying one, I have a KJ Jr. and Vision Classic M that I bring camping but this one has a hitch adapter for easy transport and that it is all metal so you don't have to worry about breaking the ceramics. 

post-4569-0-87293200-1438365807.jpg

How is temperature control with this new model? I have the old one and I remember there was a significant learning curve in controlling the temperature. I ended up hammering the lower plate to get a better seal.

anyone have any experience attaching a flameboss or smartfire type controller to the BKK5000? Sadly most of the temp controllers look like they're not compatible with the lower daisywheel. I see there's probably enough space to the top right of the wheel to install an adaptor (on the flat face of the ash drawer) but i'd rather not be drilling holes in things already!! 

Mine leaks air really bad around the ash drawer. I'll be talking to Broil King today, but I'm on the verge of giving them a 1 star review.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, PeterRegan said:

anyone have any experience attaching a flameboss or smartfire type controller to the BKK5000? Sadly most of the temp controllers look like they're not compatible with the lower daisywheel. I see there's probably enough space to the top right of the wheel to install an adaptor (on the flat face of the ash drawer) but i'd rather not be drilling holes in things already!! 

Hey Peter...

BBQ Guru offer an adapter for the Keg 5000.... I bought the adapter the other day to see how it fits, looks like you have to remove the daisy wheel centre screw to mount the adapter - So not sure if it will be easy to take on/off (switch between controller and manual operation)

Hadn’t bought the controller yet, not sure if I wanted the basic model or the cyberq... Lucky I held off as it looks like they are releasing a new controller - Not sure if I want to be a ‘tester’ of a new device - but they look pretty cool!

I assume only bbq guru fans work with this adapter - it is 35mm diameter for the fan connection.. Flame boss fan has a square connection, but smart fire might work if you know the diameter of the fan outlet..

Cheers

5BAE7E42-AB7F-43F9-A7F2-8E97882F2A77.jpeg