Sign in to follow this  
Nuprin

Butcher Paper or Foil?

Gonna try some foiling some ribs for the first time on the Big Joe.  Is there a difference between using aluminum foil vs butche paper?  Or as a general question for people who foil, what differences do you notice between the two materials?

Nuprin - I've never foiled.  I did use plain butcher paper back in the day when I used a stick burner.  Butcher paper lets the cook breathe and help with the bark.  I like bark.  Using butcher paper doesn't let the bark get so soft as does foiling.  In my kamado cooking days I've never wrapped any type of cook.  Never found it necessary.

Never used butcher paper but I know Franklin uses it on his briskets. I have a question, does the butcher paper do the same pupose of the "Texas Crutch" to speed through the stall?

Yeah, at least that's the theory.  It's also supposed to keep the cook more moist.  

Never used butcher paper but I know Franklin uses it on his briskets. I have a question, does the butcher paper do the same pupose of the "Texas Crutch" to speed through the stall?

AF's offset smoker wouldn't hold moisture as well as Kamados  I've never had to foil brisket during cook.  Foil and towel wrap during rest.

Reason I'm going to foil the ribs is because the last cook, for some reason, the temp was not even in the Big Joe and half my ribs were charred.  And like some other posts here, it allows me to work with some different sauces and liquids onto the ribs that I ahven't tried.  I don't plan on foiling for shoulders but may try the brisket like Aaron Franklin.

I've never used butcher paper.

When I foil.....I generally do so with St Louis trimmed pork spares on a 3-2-1 method @ 200-215 degrees.

Foil does really help to hold onto whatever color you've achieved and don't want to lose.

I"m not adverse to using it.   I view it as simply another tool that can be used to get a desired result.

How about doing 2-3 racks of ribs on your next cook and employ foil or paper on one and the others left bare.  Great way to compare results.  :good:

I've never used butcher paper.

When I foil.....I generally do so with St Louis trimmed pork spares on a 3-2-1 method @ 200-215 degrees.

Foil does really help to hold onto whatever color you've achieved and don't want to lose.

I"m not adverse to using it. I view it as simply another tool that can be used to get a desired result.

Yeah, good idea. Although I have a pretty good taste memory so I would be able to remember how they compare but I'll do one half rack unfoiled for a direct comparison.

How about doing 2-3 racks of ribs on your next cook and employ foil or paper on one and the others left bare. Great way to compare results. :good: