How's your Akorn holding up

My AKORN had its first cook 3 years ago today (my birthday present in 2012)

Holding up pretty well.

On my second cover , sits in the sun & the Mississippi UV earts grill covers.

The wooden handles on the ash pan burned up & on my second set of gaskets ( operator error)

Has survived 2 grease fires !

Interior still in good shape & nothing has rusted other than lip on ash pan .

Wooden shelves aging but good for a while.

Should be good for a few more years!

Mine is about 3 months newer than yours, and many many cooks. My shelves are steel, and handles are not wood, so no prob. Also on 2nd cover. While I don't have salt-air, I have lots of snow and rain, but looks like new except very dirty. May need new charcoal grate, but other than that it is fine.

AkornJoe, mine is almost than same as yours, early May of 2012. Sits outside under it's cover 24/7/365. Other than some dirt and a bit of rust on some of the leg mounting screws, it has served me well. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

While I would consider a KJ or similar, I tend to be like a bull in a china shop and am afraid it would last me two months...

BTW saw one in WMart yesterday and they are almost $200 more than I paid for mine... Must be getting popular!

I bought mine used for $80 bucks on CL. The guy said it was 1.5 year old but I have reason to believe it's much older than that. I seriously doubt he ever cleaned it and it sat completely uncovered the entire time. I took it home, burned it off, cleaned it up and it came back to almost brand new. The ONLY thing wrong with it (outside of the center grate ring being cracked due to being dropped), is the bolt heads being rusted and a few minor rust spots around the lower shelf and the bottom of the lower bowl. The side tables are metal so no issues there. 

I think the akorn is a 10 year + grill if you keep it covered, use it regularly, don't abuse it, and are willing to squirt any rust spots with high heat paint as soon as they develop. Parts are cheap if you need them.  My ceramics could use new gaskets, bolts tightened, and side tables sanded/stained almost annually so it's not like a squirt of spray paint is a huge burden. 

I got mine in April 2012 and its holding up extremely well. I've cooked on it a ton and it still does great. I keep wanting to get a ceramic model, but so far I've not been able to justify the cost because mine works so well. I did have some mold inside mine this spring when I opened it up, but I did a high temp burn, then re seasoned the grates and everything was good as new.

Mine was given to me 9/2011  and it's still going strong.  I keep it covered, is on the second set of gaskets and except for some rust on the sold metal bottom shelf, and the caster  mounts it's as nice as when I put her together.  It's covered but exposed to the coastal salt air 365 and is holding up better than most metal surfaces around the house.  One of these days I expect a burn through on the inside metal bowl from all the use, but so far no signs of weakness.  I too would love to go with a ceramic but how can I support that when the Kooker works so well and my toy list is so large??  If I could only figure out how to mount a mini on my kayak!!!  I did sand down the wood slats from the drop shelves and refinish with marine varnish, but left the deeper burn/scorch marks for character.  

It's really good to hear that they are lasting!  Mine is still parked where it is in my avatar and will break it lose this weekend!  (I was on vacation that why it hasn't lit up)  :)

Purchased my Acorn in May 2013 and it's holding up really well, no signs of rust.  Didn't do any mods whatsoever and it's the best grill I've ever owned. bar none!  I use  my Acorn at least 3x per month and keep it covered (most of the time) in sunny Southern California where it almost never rains.  :) 

JeffieBoy   .....  I think our dollar is less popular.  The Akon price went up $40 since last season. Fuel for it is up too.

I paid $329 on sale in March!  $40 off!  lol