Sign in to follow this  
Jrokk26

Just bought a used Akorn...

Jrokk, I once left mine covered and idle (shame on me, right?) for a while with the vents closed and got some mold growth on the interior. I read somewhere (probably here) to leave the vents open and the problem has never recurred.

Then again, looking at your picture I can't imagine that having an idle grill will be an issue for you :-P

Hey, another Tampa griller.  Welcome to the family.

You can pick up the official CK cover at Lowe's and it is a nice fit.  My wife jokes that I was too optimistic when I bought the cover because I'd hafta stop cooking to put it on.

I'd offer that, if the seals are in good shape, maybe the previous owner had a habit of sliding the hot grate to the right shelf when performing fire maintenance.  The center hole is nice when you don't have a diffuser in place, but getting to the fire with one in place presents challenges.

Scraping the CI grate along that edge, then letting hot fats and oils sit in the scrapes could generate that rusty patch, especially here in humid FL.  Put it out by the pool with chlorine and that damage could occur very quickly.

Glad to see you around.

Eric

^ Putting the grate on the side shelf will typically result in scorch marks on the shelves (especially if they're wood), but I can't see it affecting the lid (which would be open) like that...

^ Putting the grate on the side shelf will typically result in scorch marks on the shelves (especially if they're wood), but I can't see it affecting the lid (which would be open) like that...

I always put my grate on the side shelf on my Akorn, but they're metal with high heat paint so it's never been an issue =)

Well that and I don't think I've ever pulled it off at >400F.

Nice find, as for a paint I've used high temp black that's sold online/stores for wood stoves on other grills in the past.  There is a brand that says it safe to use in food cooking/prep  areas 

Thanks guys!

Yesterday I took the Akorn apart and hit it real good with steal wool knocking all the rust off. After I thoroughly inspected it I noticed the bottom ash pan area had a bit more rust then I would have liked to see  :unsure:. This afternoon I'm going to finish cleaning it up with some simple green and hot water. I bought some rust-oleum high heat spray paint for grills in black. It's supposed to give it a "tough protective enamel coat, protect against rust, and withstand heat of 1200 degrees." The only thing is, I'm not too sure I should spray the rim of the ash pan since that is likely to get real hot and don't think I want to chance a chemical smokey favor in my cooks...  :?:  :shock:  :oops:  Anyone know if Char-Griller will sell the ash pan separately? 

The CI grate was kept in really good condition and has no rust whatsoever. The guy I bought it from said he would always brush it down with olive oil after each cook and I know a lot of people who say just spray it down with Pam after each cook and you're good to go. However I was thinking about keeping a jar of bacon grease and brushing it down with that after each cook... what do you guys think?

I figure with this little restore project and the Weber Q grill cover I bought, which fits really well and was $15 cheaper then the Akorn cover, I'm into this grill for about $110 now. If I can get a year or maybe even two out of it before I need to upgrade, this bad boy will have been well worth the investment IMO. 

I'll post some pics of this restore later. 

Yeah, another member here contacted CG about getting a replacement ash pan. According to his post, it's $35: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/18785-replacement-parts-prices-you-might-find-interesting/

For keeping your cast iron seasoned, use an oil that's high in poly-unsaturated fat, which will polymerize (form a seasoning coating) more readily. If you want to get fancy, you could look in the refrigerator of a health foods store to see if they have any flaxseed oil without any preservatives (usually vitamin E/tocopherol). But I would probably suggest just grabbing either corn or soybean (vegetable) oil, which are the highest in unsaturated fat out of the oils that any grocery store will carry.

Grapeseed oil should be available at most grocery stores, it's highly polyunsaturated and has the advantage of a fairly high smoke point so you can use the leftover for high heat cast iron skillet work =)

Sorry, guys been busy the last week. I completed my restore and must say I'm please with the results. I want to post the pics, but I guess I'm having a newbie moment.... Can anyone tell me how to post them without having to start a new thread??  :unsure:

Sorry, guys been busy the last week. I completed my restore and must say I'm please with the results. I want to post the pics, but I guess I'm having a newbie moment.... Can anyone tell me how to post them without having to start a new thread??  :unsure:

Jrokk - posting pics is pretty easy.

See the button down in the lower right hand corner that says "Other Reply Options" ... click on that.

Now you should be a in a reply window.  Type what you want and when it comes time to post a pic in your reply, click on the "Choose File" button.  A new window opens and you just pick the pic you want to post from wherever you have filed it on your computer.  Then all you do is hit the "Attach This File" button.  It will take a couple of seconds.  Then on the new strip that shows up, hit "Add to Post" link and it inserts code to place your picture in your post.  When you're done, just hit the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page.  

That's all there is to it!

Thanks CC! Lol, I looked everywhere but there  :blink:

Ok so here are before and afters... 

post-8490-0-92200000-1429108284_thumb.jp post-8490-0-21985400-1429108234_thumb.jp

Cleaned it up with Simple Green and SoS pads...

post-8490-0-53030900-1429816972_thumb.jp post-8490-0-01703800-1429816959_thumb.jp

Hit it with some high heat Rust-Oleum.  It came out more of a matte black which I actually like better....

post-8490-0-81268600-1429817117_thumb.jp post-8490-0-21317600-1429817121_thumb.jp
post-8490-0-29164500-1429817435_thumb.jp post-8490-0-58741300-1429817443_thumb.jp

My experience is all grill covers are crap and don't last long in FL whether you spend $10 or $50 you may only get an extra 3-6 months. So I bought the Weber Q cover for only $20 and fits nicely...

post-8490-0-67743900-1429817453_thumb.jp

I cleaned up the inside real good too and re-seasoned the CI grate. Got a bit clumsy thou and dropped the center piece  :roll: ...

post-8490-0-14299700-1429817691_thumb.jp

All set for two zone cooks as well... 

post-8490-0-13392700-1429817735_thumb.jp