Joe Jr - How long will yours run?

The issue with the jr is filling lump high enough and the deflector stone getting in the way.  

I have learned to turn the triangle deflector holder piece upside down, this elevates the deflector as well as the grill by about an inch.  I have been doing it like this when I need a full load and the deflector when cooking with the jr.

Do you not use a drip pan in this configuration? I've only thought about trying this once quite a while back and if I recall it didn't seem to leave room for the pan.

• 4 weeks later...

I think so because if not enough air flow the fire will start to starve and choke off causing the temperature to drop.   That happened to me two weeks ago.  It was good I had wireless temp monitor on grate and when my temperature dropped to 150  I went to investigate because temperature should not have started dropping after 4 hours,  I saw there was still lots of charcoal and it looked like fire was almost out so I used my ash tool mixed it up to knock the ash down and distribute smoldering embers then as air circulation improved I had no problem maintaining 220-230 for the remainder of time it took to finish the pork shoulder. 

I have done multiple 10+ hour cooks on a small BGE, and I am pretty sure the dimensions are similar, I would think that perhaps the small kj might hold slightly more lump than the BGE. Temp didn't drop more than 20°, from 260 to 240°

So for my pulled pork cook, it ran fine at 250 for the first 9 hours, which is fine for the main attraction.  However, I also wanted to cook some chicken thighs, and I had to open up the vents to try to boost the temperature in the 10th hour.  When it was all done, I looked at the firebox and saw I had almost no lumps left and it was pretty clogged by the ashes.  In hindsight, I probably should have use all fresh lumps for a long cook like this, and I'll probably device some bent metal to let me unclog the fire grate from the bottom vent next time.