rubs that are a great value

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

$8 for a 12oz of Rudy's rub is pretty fair (not sure how much they charge to ship).  This stuff is fantastic.. it's made for brisket, but I LOVE it on pork.

http://www.rudysbbq.com/store/p-15-rudys-rub.aspx

It is the shipping & handling that kills a lot of the possible sources for great rubs by delivery. I do get it--not every one is so big that they get a huge volume discount like Amazon. As was suggested-- going in with a group to cut the shipping is a wonderful idea.

Rudy's is a great deal at $8 for 12 OZ.

I did not go into the full registering for Rudy's so I do not know the shipping cost. I just wish that one did not have to go go all the way to putting in  credit card info before finally get the shipping cost. It is a huge disappointment to have say $15 for 20 OZ container of a rub that people rave about only to find a $15 shipping charge as the last thing before hitting order. This is very often the case. When I have the time I will go in and do the full order thing.

I do find the http://www.texasbbqrub.com/ to be reasonable with shipping and if you want a rub that is predominately brown sugar --theirs is very good.

So I checked shipping - which was not cheap..  but still not BAD if you're ordering >1

I ordered one for myself and another for a friend.. it was about $25 total with shipping - still not bad at $12.50 shipped.

We need to find good rubs available from Amazon Prime.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was at Sam's today and they had a new rub on the shelf. Pork Barrel BBQ Spice Rub: http://porkbarrelbbq.com

$7 for 19oz.

I almost picked it up to try on my next butt but decided to hold off. Anybody try this yet?

I bought some and put in on a butt this weekend and was pleasantly surprised how good it was.  I would highly recommend it.  Bark was amazing!!!!

I am surprised to hear that - I grabbed it at Costco yesterday (<$6 IIRC) and used it on ahi tuna.  It was good, but it seemed more on the "herby" side than most butt rubs.  I wondered how well the herbs would hold up over a long pork butt smoke so it is good to hear it worked for you.  I will definitely give it a try on my next butt cook, but perhaps in combination with a spicier/hotter rub.  I bet it is great on chicken too.  Definitely a good value though.

So I was at Sam's today and they had a new rub on the shelf. Pork Barrel BBQ Spice Rub: http://porkbarrelbbq.com

$7 for 19oz.

I almost picked it up to try on my next butt but decided to hold off. Anybody try this yet?

I bought some and put in on a butt this weekend and was pleasantly surprised how good it was.  I would highly recommend it.  Bark was amazing!!!!

I am surprised to hear that - I grabbed it at Costco yesterday (<$6 IIRC) and used it on ahi tuna.  It was good, but it seemed more on the "herby" side than most butt rubs.  I wondered how well the herbs would hold up over a long pork butt smoke so it is good to hear it worked for you.  I will definitely give it a try on my next butt cook, but perhaps in combination with a spicier/hotter rub.  I bet it is great on chicken too.  Definitely a good value though.

I tried it on some ribs a couple weekends ago. I could really taste the celery seed. Not sure how it would be on a big butt but it was a little overwhelming on the ribs.