Sign in to follow this  
DerHusker

Enchiladas de Cochinita Pibil

Remember this cook?

16414216944_b6674aaf8b_z.jpg

16829145017_ee278e7eff_z.jpg

16414156094_2362030306_z.jpg

Well I had quite a few leftovers from it so I thawed a package out to make some enchiladas. I started out by making up a rojo sauce. Here are most of the ingredients:

17242430376_4576d539a5_z.jpg

Stemmed and seeded the Guajillo chili’s and then place in 3 cups of water to re-hydrate.

17266615642_4359b14163_z.jpg

While that was happening I sliced up half an onion and two tomatoes.

16648176833_f9e20bc57e_z.jpg

I placed the guajillo chili’s, onion and tomatoes in the blender and took them for a spin. I then added the rest of the ingredients and transferred to a sauce pan. Brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for 30 minutes.

17267872451_e9b0d0dbdb_z.jpg

After the sauce was done I took half a package of Cochinite Pibil and placed it in a bowl with some onion. I covered this and reheated.

16646121784_25c8383991_z.jpg

I then setup my work space to roll the enchiladas and dip a warmed tortilla in the sauce

17082361109_564e92a16d_z.jpg

on both sides

16646117534_f7f4496506_z.jpg

I placed it in the baking vessel and added cheese and Cochinita Pibil mixture.

17081020240_339405f91d_z.jpg

And roll

17061156577_cdd52c6bac_z.jpg

17081015830_4f2416b04a_z.jpg

16646108714_8f6db42946_z.jpg

Once the baking vessel is full I placed them in the pre-heated (to 300) kamado.

17082343159_ea30435546_z.jpg

16646103514_152c0e2993_z.jpg

After 10 minutes, add cheese on top and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.

17081004510_05b9eb392a_z.jpg

Here they are plated with rice, beans and a nice cerveza.

17266859282_2091178623_b.jpg

17266856772_411c5ff1ef_b.jpg

Here’s the Money Shot.

17266862102_1184d1c498_b.jpg

It was good! :)

Thanks for looking.

Husker - dadgummit Man, you've done it again! Beautiful cook! Simply beautiful. I do love the colors in your cooks. They are so vivid I'm almost tasting those wonderful enchiladas. Wow! Kudos all over the place, Husker. Kudos!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      Most of you who’ve been around a few years, know this is the time of year that I go full Griswold. Here’s a pic of my house from a few years ago.

It gets a little bigger every year. This year I rented a boom to put lights up in our 50’ tall Italian Cypress you can see to the left of our garage. (Sorry no photo of it this year)

Anyway, as is our family’s tradition, we host everyone on Christmas Eve for dinner and presents. In attendance were my two brothers that live here in California. They came down from the L.A. area along with my niece, my nephew and his fiancé. (in addition to my wife and I) We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Ham, then Turkey, then a nice Ribeye Roast. We hadn’t had Ham since 2016 so we settled on that.

We were quite busy making all the dinner and fixing’s, so I didn’t have a lot of time to take a whole lot of photos but here are the few that I did get. Here’s the ham on the kamado for the first few hours at 275.

Here’s a pic of the stove with the beans, carrots, potatoes and gravy on top. (Green Bean Casserole and biscuits in the oven)

Here’s the ham after the 2 hours in foil with the pineapple and cherries added for another 10 minutes at 425.

Here’s the ham on the table waiting for the rest of the fixings to join it. (It’s funny but I didn’t realize that this is almost the exact same photo from 2016)

Here’s everyone waiting to dig in.

Here the one photo I got of the food and table. (As you can see we broke out our finest plastic cups for this dinner )

Here’s what everyone looked like when I asked if they could wait for me to take more / better photos of the food.

Everything was delicious and we had a great time that evening.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      A certain knife dealer site had so good of prices on some nice knives in BD1N stainless that I couldn’t help myself. (It’s a sickness I tell ya!) Anyway, here’s some pics of my new tools.

9” hollow edge craving knife and fork set.

6” curved boning knife.

I had a Big Poppa gift certificate I’d won in a throwdown that was burning a hole in my pocket so, I placed a couple of items I didn’t already have in my cart.

Also added 2 rubs on sale that I thought I’d use a lot.

I already used the carving knife for Christmas Eve dinner with my family and hope to use the other items real soon.

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      We spent Thanksgiving with good friends and neighbors and their family. We were tasked with providing the dressing and a pecan pie. The pie we bought from Costco but for the dressing I made my favorite Cranberry, Apple and Walnut dressing.
      (Recipe can be found here:
      Here are most of the ingredients.

Melted the butter and sautéed the onions and celery.

Combined the cranberries, apple and walnuts.

After the butter, onions, celery, apple cider and chicken stock had simmered 10 minutes I stirred it into the dry dressing and spread it out into the baking/serving dish.

I covered this with AF and cooked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and then uncovered it. I cooked for another 25 minutes at 350 and this is the results.

Here are some pics of the rest of the dinner entrée’s that we enjoyed.
      Mashed potatoes.

Miscellaneous sides.

White meat plate.

Dark meat plate.

My plate.

We had a great time of food and fellowship. Hope you all had a great day as well.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      So my work had a Chili Cookoff contest and I decided to join in on the “fun”. I put fun in parenthesis because I had to make the chili on Tuesday after work and didn’t get done until it was 9:00. I then had to wait until it cooled off enough to put it in the fridge. So I’m in bed at 10:15 and the alarm is set for 4:30. This so I can shower and get everything ready and make the drive up to the L.A. area on Wednesday. I made a White Chicken Chili called Chili Blanco. I used a recipe from All Things BBQ. (Here's a link to his video:  https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/chili-blanco/)

I tweaked the recipe a little. Here are the ingredients I used with my tweaks in red.
      ·         2 lb chicken, boneless breasts or thighs (I used 4 boneless breasts)
      ·         Carne Asada Seasoning (I used Fajita seasoning)
      ·         2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
      ·         1 large yellow onion, diced
      ·         3 Anaheim chiles, seeded, diced (I used 2 Anaheim and 1 Poblano)
      ·         1 jalapeno, seeded, diced
      ·         1 tbsp All Purpose Rub
      ·         1 tbsp ground cumin
      ·         1 tsp Mexican oregano
      ·         4 cloves garlic, minced
      ·         3 tbsp unsalted butter
      ·         1/4 cup flour
      ·         2 (15 oz) cans of great northern beans, drained, rinsed
      ·         1 quart unsalted chicken stock
      ·         1 cup heavy cream (I used Caciqui Crema Salvadorena)
      ·         8 oz cream cheese, cubed
      ·         1 bunch cilantro, minced
      ·         4 oz (1 cup) pepper jack cheese, grated

Didn’t have time for a fully documented cook photo spread but here is what I did get. I had taken some chicken I had in the freezer and thawed it out. Assembled most of my spices (some I didn’t use) and the chicken.

Sliced al the breast in half to increase the surface area

and then sprinkled on the fajita seasoning.

I grilled the chicken on my preheated Grill Grates I got from BPS.

Brought then inside to cool

while I started prepping the veggies and other ingredients.

Onion and Poblano diced

and now the Anaheim’s added.  

I took all this out and placed it in my 9 Qt. Dutch oven to sauté. This is where I was pushing for time and quit taken all the pictures that slow down the cooking process. I did get one of the final results.

I really liked the flavor and heat profile of it. It had some heat, but the heat was flavorful and not just hot. My wife also liked it but indicated it was just a little to hot. (She still ate it 2 days in a row) I didn’t win the cookoff but came in 3rd. This is a little different that what everyone was used to. The traditional chili’s won but I did get a lot of complements on it.

Thanks for looking