Bad Byron's Butt Rub vs The BBQ Rub

Does Bad Byron Butt Rub have any kick, like from cayenne or jalapeño? Or is it more like a seasoned salt? Thanks.

More salty than other flavors.  There are better ones out there IMO that gives your more "pepper" flavor.  Again, my favorite is Bull City BBQ Pig Rub.

Does Bad Byron Butt Rub have any kick, like from cayenne or jalapeño? Or is it more like a seasoned salt? Thanks.

I don't get any heat taste from it whatsoever.

It's more like a seasoned salt to me.....with a range of other spices in there, too.

When applied to the surface area of a big thick cut like a butt.....the bark really mixes in well and doesn't equate to a high percentage of what you are eating.  I like this on butts, but then again I like a really dark & strong bark to blend in with the rest of the meat and then I hit it with a small amount of vinegar-brown sugar sauce that really sets it off.

On wings or ribs......it is just way to overpowering for me. I even tried it in burgers as per the BB website recipe.  Yuck.

Other's love it, though.    It's all in what you like.

I guess my rub preference on wings is more of a rib-rub that doesn't scorch....blended with a chicken rub.  

The cool thing is that Publix grocery stores usually carry the small bottles so it's easy to try.

ZkvFI9w.png

47Rm0IE.png

Dark and ugly.........I love that bark.  I blends in and the super strong flavor just embeds itself in with the moist pulled pork and supports it....not overwhelms it.

CMOVpsC.png

uUX5snt.png

qUdy2yO.png

All four food groups represented in this cook:  Pork, Chicken, Green stuff and beans.       Seems legit, right ?

1NBuHwZ.png

n0ZQnjG.png

Why the heck would anyone buy Bad Byron's Butt Rub? Seriously? Why?

I can't imagine a single Guru's kitchen that doesn't have every single ingredient in Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I have salt, black pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika, and chipolte pepper. Who needs the microcrystalline cellulose? That's just to keep the spices from coagulating. Who among us doesn't have those spices?

I'd like to hear why anyone would buy more than a single bottle of that stuff. Buy one, replicate the flavor and make your own!

Bad Byron is laughing all the way to the bank! I can hear my Father now ... "Son, a fool and his money are soon parted!"

Why the heck would anyone buy Bad Byron's Butt Rub? Seriously? Why?

I can't imagine a single Guru's kitchen that doesn't have every single ingredient in Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I have salt, black pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika, and chipolte pepper. Who needs the microcrystalline cellulose? That's just to keep the spices from coagulating. Who among us doesn't have those spices?

I'd like to hear why anyone would buy more than a single bottle of that stuff. Buy one, replicate the flavor and make your own!

Bad Byron is laughing all the way to the bank! I can hear my Father now ... "Son, a fool and his money are soon parted!"

Because I don't have all that stuff in there and don't want to spend the time fooling around to make it when I can just buy a bottle for it's intended purpose.

I currently have zero desire to make rubs.  Zero.  There's not much appeal in it for me.

Others enjoy it and I think that's great for them.

i enjoy playing around with different rubs from different manf.  

As far as fools parting with their money.........I'm not even going to touch that one.   :good:

I tend to agree with CC although maybe not put so ...emphatically...  :) On this side of the border we do not have near the selection and mail order is much more expensive.  I don't want 50 rubs in my cupboard and find that after one teaspoon I don't like it and it's waste.  I can't take it apart at that point and adding good ingredients to something I don't like usually doesn't work at least for me cause I've done just that.

Here BB is like 15.00 for a big bottle plus taxes.  Too me that's a lot of money for mostly salt and I see what CC is saying.  I don't think it's good value at all.

Cooking is all about blending ingredients so why not try to duplicate it as part of the experience of the cook.  If on the other hand and I know many do order rubs from all across the US then that is a personal choice.

We all do our own thing, some with more creativity than others.  It's what gives us pleasure.   :-D

Dub - I can understand your point of view. After all is said and done, in cooking for your teenaged T-Rex, time is of the essence! LOL!

Backs years ago when I started in this racket, there were precious few commercially available rubs, marinades, etc. We all mostly made our own. We passed recipes around amongst eachother. Buying a rub was essentially unheard of.

I still have a hard time buying a rub I know I can reproduce simply by looking at the ingredient list. If I want something different, I can find thousands of rub recipes just by pulling up Google.

For what it's worth, I have ordered the Oak Ridge sampler pack and there's some really good stuff in there. I am very intrigued by the dizzy pig rubs. I'd like to give them a try sometime

I agree with both of you, actually, K'man.

I've been burned on rubs before and wind up with a bunch of stuff that just.....well....it just sucks.

I'll give you a great example.  Some of the rubs that a buddy has me using for a completion cook we are in later this month.......not so good.   I can't imagine anyone liking these rubs.  They are so strong in flavor.  One or two bites is all I'd want....and then a big glass of water or beer afterwards.   I suppose that's what they are designed for...."one bite wow".  

That type stuff is far from what I want in a rub.  I want great flavor that someone will enjoy for a whole meal.

I truly understand how it can be fun to create your own.   I could see where doing your own rub and sauces would be a great way to do things.  I found that out during April's cooking challenge.  We were required to cook a meal using a sauce we made.  It took me out of my normal element......and I got really lucky and kept tinkering with a combination of stuff i had on hand and the result was a sauce that my family liked.   I'm confident that I could do so with a rub if I ever decide to do so.

It's just not a current interest of mine.  One day, that could very well be a direction that gravitate towards.  That's the cool thing about grilling-smoking-cooking.....so many directions a person can go.....so many levels to take it to.  I just like the convenience and novelty of using pre-made rubs.

The thread was specifically about Bad Byron's Butt Rub and our opinions on it......thus my above posts about the rub and my opinions.

As far as fools and their money........we could all......every Guru on here......get the exact same results we are getting now.......but not use our beloved kamado grills.......but do so on a basic Weber kettle grill.  It wouldn't be as convenient...but we could most assuredly grill or slow smoke ANY of the stuff we all normally kamado cook.  Sure would be a bunch cheaper, too, would it not ?

We go in the directions we go in because we enjoy it.    It's relaxing......it's fun.

For what it's worth, I have ordered the Oak Ridge sampler pack and there's some really good stuff in there. I am very intrigued by the dizzy pig rubs. I'd like to give them a try sometime

That is a great way to approach it.  They are wise for doing that, too.  It's a win-win situation.  

Their sample pack is $11.     I suggest getting two of them so you'll actually have enough of each to do something with besides stick your finger in the bag.  :good:

Just to throw in my opinion here, you may have seen in several of my cooks that I've been using the Killer Hogs bbq rub and their sauce for months. My wife and I really like it. The rub I think is really good all purpose rub from pork to chicken, to ABTs or whatever you want. I also have used Oakridge bbq rubs for quite a while now. I currently have their Santa Maria steak rub, Secret Weapon for pork or chicken, and recently I picked up their newest rub designed for ribs "Dominator Sweet Rib rub". I haven't used the rib rub yet but I going to tomorrow for my ribs I'm making when people come over for the fight.

Looking forward to how it tastes.

How is the taste of Bad Byron Butt Rub different from Lawry's Seasoned Salt, if you have tasted both?

I've used Lawry's a good bit.

I'd assume that the sodium % of BB is much, much lower than Lawry's.

That's just my guess.....based just on my opinion of it's flavor.

BB is a real rub...not a seasoning salt.  Like I said above, a lot of folks really truly like it as a rub on many cuts.  I've just found other stuff that I prefer for each type of meat.