Smoking a butt for the first time

bicho6

Smoking my first butt.  Started last night around 7pm Est and its now 12:30pm EST.  The Butt's temp is at 178 and it weighs 10 pounds.  I'm struggling to keep this temp under control.  It's been just a yo-yo game all night night with constant adjust from as high as 300 degree to as low at 160 with the fire being basically killed.  Any tip or better yet recommended practices on getting it right? 

I have learned not to try and hit an exact temp, I usually shoot for 250-275, if it settles in at 242 or 283 or any where in between I just let it be, don't think the meat knows the difference. 300 would be as hot as I would want to do a butt, but if the kamado settled at 300 I would go with it. Smoking should be relaxing. Enjoy.

I have learned not to try and hit an exact temp, I usually shoot for 250-275, if it settles in at 242 or 283 or any where in between I just let it be, don't think the meat knows the difference. 300 would be as hot as I would want to do a butt, but if the kamado settled at 300 I would go with it. Smoking should be relaxing. Enjoy.

How do you start your fire so that is settles in the range you want, or close to the range?

How do you start your fire so that is settles in the range you want, or close to the range?

I use cotton balls soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol, for a low and slow I use 2 cotton balls about 3 inches apart in the center. Let it get up to 225 and then begin to real it in, biggest thing is don't get too much charcoal lite at the start and don't over shoot the temp you want. Get it reasonable close and let it go.