Eaglescoutjb

Time to replace my grill grate

I need to replace my original KJ grill grate. Is CI a solid replacement for daily use? Or is stainless steel a better option for daily and CI for occasional use?

I have really enjoyed cooking on my CI skillet.

I've got Stainless Steel grates and wouldn't trade for them. CI is overrated in my opinion. It has a cache that to me, simply isn't warranted. CI is a PITA to maintain in a high temp environment like the kamado used for sears, pizzas, etc. Get some Grill Grates, some stainless steel grates, and simplify your life. Get a CI skillet or two or a griddle if you really like to cook in CI.

I had the CI grate in my Akorn

I have stainless in my KJ

For daily use with a grate.....the stainless a trouble free and meats my needs

If i wanted to use a ci piece....then one or two of the new KJ ci griddles sections would be the ticket

For simple grates, though......stainless is my solution

Eaglescout - I have a question for you.

How long have you had your cast iron grates? In almost 20 years of cooking on my BGEs and Primos and cooking an average of 4 times a week, I never had to replace a grate. Not one. But they weren't cast iron, either. Yes, I bought cast iron grates, but I soon rued that decision.

I know you've got a Kamado Joe. They haven't been around all that long. So ask yourself, why are you having to even think about replacing your CI grates?

Just some food for thought.

I wish you well. This ain't a cheap decision.

CC: I currently have the original SS grates. They are beginning to show some wear and was considering an upgrade to CI grates. After the comments that are all basically saying the same thing, I'll stick with SS.

I have a Bayou Classic CI reversible griddle that I love to use. It does take some effort to maintain though.

Grill Grates are definitely high on my shopping list.

Eaglescout - Grill grates are really a nice addition to any grilling arsenal. That griddle is also fine. If you flip the Grill Grates upside down they work just fine for about 90% of what a griddle can do. Don't try anything liquid on the Frill Grate when upside down! Scrambled eggs and pan cakes won't work out so well! LOL!

CC: I currently have the original SS grates. They are beginning to show some wear and was considering an upgrade to CI grates. After the comments that are all basically saying the same thing, I'll stick with SS.

I have a Bayou Classic CI reversible griddle that I love to use. It does take some effort to maintain though.

Grill Grates are definitely high on my shopping list.

How old are your grates??? And what are you doing to wear them out... Bead blasting???