Sign in to follow this  
Nick2cd

High-que or Kick Ash?

I'm looking for a fire grate that will increase my air flow and not allow ash buildup to affect my temps during low and slow cooks. I'm looking at a high que grate or a kick ash basket. Kick ash is double the price of high que after shipping. Thoughts?

I've had both, and while I never thought of comparing the two, I am now using the kick ash basket and believe it is a better tool if you want to both increase air flow and reduce ash buildup. With low and slow cooking, ash buildup can still occur when ash "plugs" up the air inlet holes in your firebox. The high que grate will not prevent this while the kick ash bucket, because the frame is actually somewhat away from the firebox allows more and better air flow to occur. I use the kick ash bucket, the newly redesigned one, without having the fire grate in place. You can't get better air flow from the bottom if you're not using a fire grate at all. Having said that, the high que fire grate is way better than the stock fire grate supplied with your kamado. Both are excellent products, and while YMMV with either one, my personal preference is the kick ash basket.

I do not own either and have no issues with temps. Not sure it is all that necessary to be honest.

Just my opinion

It's strange, my egg will hold temp for 5 hours without budging 3 degrees up or down, then out of nowhere, the temp drops. Doesn't happen every time, but often enough that I want to attempt to solve it. I believe it's an ash buildup/airflow issue. I only have access to royal oak. No KJ dealers around here. I'm looking to one of these products to be the solution.

I like the basket. Does it help with the air flow through the grate? Not sure. If you. Have a bunch of small bits at the bottom of the bracket, sitting on the holes in the grate, it's gonna give you trouble as well I would think. But perhaps if helps. I know for sure it helps with the cleanup which is why I really like it.

If you don't care about the cleanup aspect, then the grate is cheaper and probably the better solution. If you think you like the cleanup aspect of the basket, then try that first and worst case you may need to get both so you get good air flow AND easy cleanup. :)

I have the Kick Ash Basket for my Large BGE and I really like it. Makes cleanup of ash very easy (just lift, shake & dump) and I have removed the standard fire grate so airflow is really good now. I can get up to the high temps much faster than with the standard grate.

I have a High Que and it works great. Just a very light stir and your ready to go. In my XL BGE I used a Weber 7441 charcoal grate from the 22.5" kettle works the same as the High Que for only $13.

Both products increase air flow including the Weber grate its a matter of what your budget is.