Oly Smokes

Question for Joe Jr owners.

I did one last weekend. I placed the beer can stand directly in my drip / beer pan. It held the chicken up just enough to be out of the beer in the pan, but low enough to clear the thermometer and done.

It did not have enough clearance when I tried putting it on the grate.

35c580b3a84e65511d7cf5f46d7d3eb3.jpg

Oh ok. Yeah I normally do spatchcock too. But I've had the KJ chicken stand for a while now and haven't used it yet. Not a big deal if it won't fit standing upright on a jr I hope to get next week. Now I have my new classic that will work good for that.

Well I guess this would be my solution. I remember seeing this post a long time ago and just came across it again. Would need to buy a few extra parts, but with the ability to lower the entire cooking rack a little he said you can use the chicken stand on the jr.

Looks like a very nice concept for doing a two zone cook on a jr. Although it would still be tight on space for most cooks. But it's a possibility, having to use BGE pieces for their small grill

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/17368-2-level-cooking-on-the-kj-jr/

I plan on trying a beer butt chicken on the Joe Jr and it looks like there are a few ways to squeeze a chicken into the Jr.

Has anyone experimented with more than one of these methods and have a preference? (Cook directly on heat deflector without grid, lower the heat deflector with hooks, remove the fire ring etc)

Cheers,

Ben