Sign in to follow this  
KaBudokan

What's your preferred method for getting a cook started quickly?

I use 4 to 5 cotton balls soaked in 99% rubbing alcohol, one in the middle and 4 spread a few inches apart from the middle, light those suckas, wait 2-4 mins and then shut the lid and open wide both vents.  

In 15 to 20 I'm well over 400f.   :)

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  this  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   this  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Two things you can forget about ever needing to use with any kamado grill:   lighter fluid and those chimney starters.     There is zero need.  The vents on a kamado ensure proper air flow for the fire you need.  They are a different beast than the other grill we all used prior.  They require different techniques.  Fortunately they are easier techniques that don't require complex steps.   Keep it simple and you'll profit.

My experiences are identical to what Bigs instructs above.

I use 4 to 5 cotton balls soaked in 99% rubbing alcohol, one in the middle and 4 spread a few inches apart from the middle, light those suckas, wait 2-4 mins and then shut the lid and open wide both vents.  

In 15 to 20 I'm well over 400f.   :)

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  this  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   this  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Two things you can forget about ever needing to use with any kamado grill:   lighter fluid and those chimney starters.     There is zero need.  The vents on a kamado ensure proper air flow for the fire you need.  They are a different beast than the other grill we all used prior.  They require different techniques.  Fortunately they are easier techniques that don't require complex steps.   Keep it simple and you'll profit.

My experiences are identical to what Bigs instructs above.

Cool.  I was too attached to the low and slow method (which I have down), so I don't think I've ever put in more than 3 starters.  If the weather holds up today I'll give it a go tonight.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Cool.  I was too attached to the low and slow method (which I have down), so I don't think I've ever put in more than 3 starters.  If the weather holds up today I'll give it a go tonight.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

You are so far ahead of the curve that it's not even funny.   You've figured out the care required to slow and low successfully with the Akorn.

That's left you understandably cautious because it does take some care.

The higher temp stuff is much easier.  Glad to see you'll be grilling again tonight.

I lit my Big Joe yesterday in four spots with my MAPP torch and had the burgers on in 15. And my Akorn always warmed up faster than my Big Joe.

Yup.  Complete agreement.

Mine Kooker or my technique must not be the same.  I also have a hard time getting a hot fire fast.  I rarely find myself in the "quick" mode these days, but when I do I put lump in the chimney and put the chimney on the side burner of a gasser.  The burner got the goals going fast so I could dump them in the Kooker and get going in no time.  For me, the chimney with cotton balls gets going faster that any other method.

Two things you can forget about ever needing to use with any kamado grill:   lighter fluid and those chimney starters.     There is zero need. 

I'll agree on the lighter fluid (althoug it is fun to play with), but I still regularly use a chimney starter when I'm going to sear steaks.

It gets the lump fully lit so I can dump it on the Weber grate and keep the meat real close to the action.

I use a looftlighter, they're an awesome accessory for starting the Akorn.

If i'm doing low n slow then i'll light one spot in the middle, if i want to come up to temps fast then i'll light the lump in 4 places then leave the vents wide open for 10-15 minutes.

They are electric so if you don't have a powerpoint / extension cable near the cooker then you cant use it but if you do then they are clean, start lump extremely quickly and they are inexpensive (and great fun to use)

Fastest way I've found....able to close the dome in under 2 minutes and let the grill start running.   No extended open period waiting to burn up a lighter cube or other.

sMljOEw.png

ApLZYCE.png

GI3ME4E.png

3 position switch is:   OFF     HEAT + FAN       FAN only (stokes fire and cools the JoeBlow)

AHoUz3k.png

PY6D51x.png

Handy built in stand allows you to set it down on side tables immediately after use.  Barrel is suspend by base.

Excellent product that works like a charm.   I was sorta goofing around it the video, it can easily have a great fire going in 1 minute.  30 seconds to get ignition and 30 seconds to stoke the flames.

It even works great on those big, dense and stubborn pieces that thwart attempts to light with other methods. :good:

Fastest way I've found....able to close the dome in under 2 minutes and let the grill start running.   No extended open period waiting to burn up a lighter cube or other.

sMljOEw.png

ApLZYCE.png

GI3ME4E.png

3 position switch is:   OFF     HEAT + FAN       FAN only (stokes fire and cools the JoeBlow)

AHoUz3k.png

PY6D51x.png

Handy built in stand allows you to set it down on side tables immediately after use.  Barrel is suspend by base.

Excellent product that works like a charm.   I was sorta goofing around it the video, it can easily have a great fire going in 1 minute.  30 seconds to get ignition and 30 seconds to stoke the flames.

It even works great on those big, dense and stubborn pieces that thwart attempts to light with other methods. :good:

That video was like a fourth of July fireworks show with all the sparks!!! Looks like fun!

This weekend I picked up a looftlighter that was on sale and used it yesterday to light my Joe Junior for low and slow. I am impressed at how quickly I was able to start the charcoal and his quickly it came up to 225F. Until this weekend I had always been using starting cubes.