BlackSophie

Any updates on Saffire?

I'm new to this forum, but as I'm in the process of shopping for a kamado style grill, I've found the posts here to be invaluable in putting all the the different brands in perspective.  I'm considering the Saffire, but don't see any current posts regarding this grill.  Does anyone have updated info for me to digest?  I can plainly see the hardware is superior, but what I can't know is the quality of the ceramic.  So here is another question....is all ceramic created equal?  Is BGE ceramic the same as Saffire ceramic and Kamado Joe ceramic?  At this point I've narrowed the search down to BGE, Kamado Joe and Saffire.  However, this is still a wide open field for me.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sophie - I can claim ignorance in a lot of areas, the Saffire being number 1 on the list. I wouldn't kow a Saffire if it bit me.

Ceramic is not generally fungible. They are generally different formulations from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Of the three you mention, BGE, Kamado Joe, and Saffire, I'd be inclined to to rank them Kamado Joe, BGE, and then the Saffire. I honestly think that Kamado Joe gives the best bang for the buck at this point. However, that is just my opinion.

My first kamado was a BGE and I cooked a lot of fine food on that kamado. It's a very fine product and you won't go wrong with it.

I remember seeing one in my Kamado shopping days (daze) before settling in on my big joe. It looked quite nice, although I thought the wood chute tube thing was a bit gimmicky. The stainless stand was impressive and I don't remember it being priced out of the norm. I just figured it was better to go with a company better represented in the field where service and warranty track records are proven.

Saffire's ceramics have had fewer issues with breakage than some of the others (KJ and Primo) have had in the past. There's a lifetime warranty on both the ceramics and the 304 stainless steel which I'm pretty sure no one else has. The dome is higher, and makes for better heat control and offers more space for vertical cooking (upright chickens, tiered cooking, etc). Overall, it's a better product, with better features, and the best warranty. Hard to beat.

I just looked this company up.

They look to be an extremely good company. I had it confused with another company that I will not mention.

.I absolutely love the idea of being able to add smoking wood with out having to either mix it into the lump or take the cooking set up apart. I know a lot of people say it is not a big deal. Adding directly for me is a big deal. I like that level of control a lot.

The stainless  looks like top quality. The cost is pretty good also.

Having the Big Joe  with the D&C--I would miss the split diffuser and split cooking grates. I typically cook on one grate level but when i need to do a split set up it is right there. The amount flexibility in set up and the available add on options are a strong point for KJ and Primo---IMO.

Sophie - I can claim ignorance in a lot of areas, the Saffire being number 1 on the list. I wouldn't kow a Saffire if it bit me.

Ceramic is not generally fungible. They are generally different formulations from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Of the three you mention, BGE, Kamado Joe, and Saffire, I'd be inclined to to rank them Kamado Joe, BGE, and then the Saffire. I honestly think that Kamado Joe gives the best bang for the buck at this point. However, that is just my opinion.

My first kamado was a BGE and I cooked a lot of fine food on that kamado. It's a very fine product and you won't go wrong with it.

CC I would beg to differ knowing all the products very well and being a Saffire owner for over 3 yrs ;)

there are some key differences that set it aside from KJ that were for me the deciding factor....the Saffire is a little more expensive than KJ but IMHO the differences are worth it.....

but everyone has their own feelings and experiences....