Sign in to follow this  
Oly Smokes

Is it really necessary?

I've always heard from many people that when getting a new kamado on the first few cooks that you should keep the temps fairly low and not not do any high heat searing for a few cooks? I followed this rule when I first started using my big joe, but now I only have 1 cook on my classic joe and did a chicken breast at like 375-400 temp range.

I've heard that it's a good idea to do lower temps the first couple cooks so your gaskets can set in? But I don't know how crucial this really is?

What do you guys do with a new cooker?

I specifically asked the KJ rep when I bought mine, and she said there wasn't anything to worry about. I think either a FAQ on the KJ website or something in the KJ user manual basically said not to worry about it.

If it gives you peace of mind, go ahead and keep it low (<600) for the first few cooks. It certainly won't hurt anything NOT to go to crazy-hot temps...

I always recommend that to people personally.  I like to keep it at 350 for a full load.  I have read so many comments that it is not required.....but honestly what is it going to hurt???

I like knowing that the gasket has heated and seated properly before I really get going.  I also like breaking the ceramic in nicely... just my .2 

I think the low to moderate first couple of cooks advise/rule/instruction may have originally come from BGE. I heard it both from my dealer and from Duane  at customer service on the mother ship when I registered my large Egg last year. I think I cooked spatchcocked chicken, salmon, and pork chops for my first three cooks. Small price to pay for caution.  Lots of guys on the Egg Head Forum, however, say darn the torpedoes and full steam ahead. When I had my first kamado a Vision, I asked about a break in method, and they said, Oh yeah we have one " cook on it". In the end I think there is both wisdom and experience on both sides. So like in all things, Take Your Pick. Happy Cooking. 

I was told to do it by my local grill store gurus who have been in the kamado business for a while. They were setting up my grill when they told me this.

I forget the temp the they said to stay under, but it seems like 350 was it.

There was nothing to lose and everything to gain from not doing so and a butt was my first planned cook, anyway.

I've followed the same advice on first cooks after gasket replacements, too.

I always recommend that to people personally.  I like to keep it at 350 for a full load.  I have read so many comments that it is not required.....but honestly what is it going to hurt???

I like knowing that the gasket has heated and seated properly before I really get going.  I also like breaking the ceramic in nicely... just my .2 

I second that 100% .

I would tell people to follow the manufacture's guidelines. If they say to, then do it. KJ does not say to do anything special on the first cooks.