You guys rock! Thanks for the advice. There are a lot of ideas I hadn't thought about doing (or not doing). I'm a seasoned vet of low and slow with an offset smoker but my main reason for getting the KJ was because I was sooooo tired of fiddling with the temperature. What a beating. So I am super excited to see what I can produce with these bad boys once I get them figured out.

Bosch, you're funny. You mentioned the trifecta- I bought a classic and a jr at the same time so I'm 2/3s there already!

Thanks again e'body!

On 5/17/2015 at 4:41 PM, Modern Pitmaster said:

Here's my kamado tips and tricks video:

I have a new Kamado Big Joe II.  I calibrated the thermometer by checking it against boiling water.  It read 210.5 degrees at 350 ft above sea level so it's accurate.  I used 2 probes from ThermoPro and they too were calibrated the same way.  The back of my smoker was 288 degrees while the front read 230 degrees.  How do I reduce such a huge 53 degree hot spot difference.  It makes it impossible to follow recipes.  I saw where you, PitMaster recommended people watch your Tips and Tricks Video but it says it is private.  Need your help please!!!

Barnett Walker. barnettwalker@yahoo.com

If you were using the deflector plates make sure the back probe was no past the plate and in the direct air flow that's going around the deflector plateMine runs hotter in the back but i don't know by how much. I think this is caused by the air rushing in kinds of flows to the back of the fire bowl. This just a guess on my part.

I do not concur with one of the post tips...  that is to get your temp where you want it and stable before adding meats.

Once the fire is out from lighting the coals and WAY BEFORE the temp is where I want it I add the meats.
Reason being is by the time you open up, put the meats on, get everything right and close the lid the amount of oxygen
can send your coals into all manner of tailspins - mostly much hotter than you want.

Put the meat on before desired temp and THEN adjust vents to desired temp...

Also: If you're looking you ain't cookin...  get a good therm system going (  redi-check etc ) and use it.