First Kamado, don't know how to say it.

wallawu

I've read a number of folks here using that ci pan from Academy. I used a ci skillet with the handle cut off for a long time before I got a great deal on a larger ceramic heat deflector, the ci worked great, still use it.

As far as sealing it up... Depends on how much patience you have. Over time, the grill will get gunked up and pretty much seal itself. First couple of months, however, you might benefit from sealing certain areas that tend to be problematic... That's all spelled out in the Akorn Forum, Mods and fixes, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Brian - first, welcome to Kamado Guru and welcome to The Addiction! We're glad you found us, so don't be a stranger. Post often, especially pics of the food you cook on your Akorn.

That little Akorn is going to change how you think about backyard cooks! Your kamado, pronounced kah-mah'-dough, is the most versatile cooker you've ever seen. It bakes, grills, smokes, does low-n-slow cooks, and creates some of the most wonderful tasting foods you've ever put a fork to. Seriously!

I used to own a gasser (propane cooker) and an offset stick burner. The day I got my first Big Green Egg was a red letter day. My gasser and stick burner becomes storage vessels. By the end of the first month, both were kicked to the curb and sold. I've never looked back. I use my kamados just about every evening for cooking my dinner. Since I've moved into my current house some 10 months ago, my oven in the house has never been turned on for cooking!

As versatile as your Akorn is at whatever you ask it to cook, you'll never consider another gasser. You'll be looking for excuses to cook on your Akorn.

So welcome aboard! Read the threads here, and if you have any questions whatsoever, ask us. We all started out as newbies and we understand where you are. We had help and we're here to help you get up to speed ASAP!

The last I saw of my propane grill, it was being tossed into the back of some truck heading to the scrap heap. I guess I could of given it a more respectable send off than that...it did last me 8 years. But I was just too excited making room for my Akorn. Will never go back to propane...not that I think there is anything wrong with propane, I just have so much fun grilling over coals.

The burner covers or "flavor bars" as I've seen them advertised rusted out so I JUST bought some stainless steal ones that ran me $20 total.  Pretty sure I don't have that receipt.  I may put it out on the curb with a sign that says "knock for burner covers" and ask for $20-$40 for it all.  I'll get a knock in 10 minutes.  It still works, and it gets the job done pretty well, but the drip pan rusted out of the bottom, so they'd have to put a pan on the ground underneath it.  Having said that, it'll be a nice upgrade for someone who doesn't own a grill at all.

Does the Weber Q cover do the job, or do I need to spring for the Akorn specific cover?

I haven't touched my Weber Spirit since I bought my Akorn last year.  The Akorn is so easy to use, if you keep the chamber full of lump, you can either light it in one spot for a low and slow, or a couple places for a high heat cook.  It takes maybe 20 minutes to heat up.  The biggest downfall is that it takes a couple hours to cool down, and I'm afraid to put the cover over it for fear it will melt.  The Akorn cooks everything well once you get a handle on the temps.  You will love it even more if you use it a lot.  I find that is the case.  Also, burgers are pretty amazing on it, so you may end up changing your mind on that, too.  Oh, it's also a miser when it comes to burning coals, compared to any other cooker out there.  

Thanks! Tons of meat sales at Edward's food giant this weekend.  Boston butt $.98/lb, ground beef $2.60/lb, baby backs $2.65/lb, and to top it off a bone-in ribeye is $8.89/lb!

I put it together last night and I didnt see where the lock washers went.  So, they aren't on the leg holes.  Is this really important?

Also, the cast iron grate is sticky and has what almost looks like cotton strands on it. Do I wash this and oven dry at 200 before I season?

Welcome to the GOTO place for everything kamado cooking knowledge wise. As for how to pronounce it, I pronounce it yuuuumy! As in you, your family, your friends, and eventually everyone you know may pronounce it a different way and they won't care as long as you call them when dinners ready. Get that puppy going and enjot the best food you've ever had :) .

Like you, I bought my kamado because my gasser was on its last legs. I ended up putting it on the curb with a photo on Craigslist, and it was gone in under an hour.

Now, I've only had it a month. But I don't plan on buying another gasser. This is now my only outdoor cooker. If I get anything else to go along with the Big Joe, it's likely to be a Joe Jr or Classic Joe (or both, eventually!  :-D )