Acron rusted out. Very disappionted

After 2 or so year my acron is is rusted out both the ash pan and the main body where it meets the ash pan. I used a cover for the most part. I thought it was just the ash pan no big deal, but the body is rusted out. Looks like it will be trash after this summer. Now I wish I had spent the extra money and got some thing that would last. Will see if Chargrill is going to stand behind their product. This compared to my Weber kettle grill same treatment has no rust. 

Update Customer service was great.  They helped me out and are shipping a replacement body. I will be removing ash pan from now on when not in use.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 2 or so year my acron is is rusted out both the ash pan and the main body where it meets the ash pan. I used a cover for the most part. I thought it was just the ash pan no big deal, but the bod

details grossly enhanced to help illustrate how The red circles represent the gasket.  Water runs down the side of the body, collects on the lip of the ash pan, under the 2 part overlap between the ou

I'm on my second year with my AKORN and I love it. I did notice a few things though and it really invovles the ash pan and the lip it seals up to. First, remove the ashpan and clean it. Spray it with

Sadly, this is bound to happen with the Akorns. Mine has been garage-kept for most of its life, so rust is not an issue at all...yet. If and when my Akorn rusts out it will have been worth it. I took a leap when I bought it, it was my first grill ever. So far it's been the best $300 I've spent in a long time. I'm sorry to hear yours rusted out so quickly. Like you, my Akorn taught me that a ceramic kamado really is the way to go.

I'm kind of expecting this to happen. I got our Akorn for $188 brand new so I can buy 5 and still be less than the price of a KJ or BGE. Plus, I like the fact that the Akorn is lightweight and easy to move around, so I actually prefer it to the others anyway. I do hope to get 4-5 years out of each one though, 2 would be a little disappointing.

See if Char Griller can compensate you in some way though.

What gets me is my Weber Kettle is older with no issues. 

I've posted on a number of forums that I wish Weber would get into the Kamado business.  As you say, their build quality is exceptional.  I'd buy a Weber-built Kamado in a heartbeat, I actually prefer a steel egg for the weight and insulation.

My Akorn is 2 1/2, showing some rust here & there.  I think I've spent more on the extras (2 covers, stainless grate, Guru adaptor) than I did on the grill!

Good luck with customer service, will be interested to hear how you make out.

I'm on my second year with my AKORN and I love it. I did notice a few things though and it really invovles the ash pan and the lip it seals up to. First, remove the ashpan and clean it. Spray it with PAM. All around the flat area that joins to the seal. The ashpan is a water trap. I dont know where the water comes from. Maybe a bad rain cover, sweat from smoking, possibly. I tipped my ashpan and about a 1/2 cup of water flowed out. YIKES not good. I was thinking about drilling a small hole into the bottom but then settled on pouring some veggie oil into the bottom by the damper control, swishing is around a few times and then dumping the excess. While you have the ashpan off look under the AKORN and check the seals. I give them a rub with oil also. Heres a real important part.... Look at the underside of the lip. That is where you can get some rust. With the high heat, the paint coating bakes off and it's pretty much open to the elements. Remember that water issue in the pan .... It seems that condensation collects under the lip where it rolls under. Wipe it good and oil it up. Seems as though the bottom half of the AKORN needs more care than the upper. Dont forget to oil the top of the lip and the metal frame and points where it connects to the body. Also oil up the button and frame of the ashpan. If you get a little leakage around the bottom seals, bend the bail wire on the snaps. I did that...problem solved. Did it on the top also. Now they're nice and tight. Aside from the main kettle seals I sprayed a little PAM on the top vent. Everything looks great and works perfectly. Just DON"T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR ASHPAN AND LOWER LIP.... That seems to be the weak areas. When I first fired up the AKORN, last year, I oiled the whole exterior with vegetable oil.... I mean everything even down to the wheels.  It looks as good as new today.