3. GottaBeKD

GottaBeKD

4. magician

magician

5. CeramicChef

CeramicChef

• Similar Content

• By itskrod00
      Want to purchase one of these accessories.  My question is can the soap stone do everything the cast iron can do plus more?

I imagine the soapstone wouldnt get as hot as the cast iron?
      I imagine the cast iron cooking, more food would possibly stick and more maintenance

or

are they too very different tools for different type cooks/food.
    • By JeffieBoy
      My daughter grabbed up some fresh, wild Sockeye filets at Costco a few weeks ago.  She dropped them into our freezer since she didn't have room in hers.  Yesterday, she asked us to pull two out to defrost for a dinner.  They were just around a pound each. They sat in the sink for three hours at which point she called and advised that she cancelled dinner due to a sudden stomach ailment.  We put them into the fridge then decided today that we should cook them up to prevent spoilage.  This afternoon, I made a brown sugar and kosher salt brine and soaked the fillets for just under two hours.

i fired up the Akorn to about 169 degrees, added some apple chunks and alder chips to supplement and then tossed the fish on.  They have been in the Akorn for about an hour now and I think I am going to go for about three more hours before pulling them off.  The Akorn has been holding steady now at 168-170 degrees F and that has surprised me.  I seriously thought that I couldn't get it to hold that low.  First time doing fish on the Akorn At a temperature this low, so any suggestions are appreciated!

More photos to follow as we finish up.

• By wk3660
      Just received my Kamado Joe.  I had an egg years ago, way before technology introduced itself into the sphere.  There is so much information and so many products to chose from I am in information overload.  I will be doing brisket & pulled pork from time to time, but will mainly do chicken and the usual dinner staples.  Should I make the investment into something that is scalable with a fan added eventually, or just get a great wireless thermometer and trust proven cooking ability and forget about a fan.  Thanks for the replies. 
    • By MickeyTheShoe
      Hi All, 

this was my second attempt at a cold smoked salmon. Attempt #1 was a learning curve for sure. I used a tail end of pink salmon (mistakes #1 and #2). I also pressed the salmon under a plate with 2 cans of tomatoes (mistake #3) in a 50/50 salt/sugar dry rub for 48 hours (Mistake #4). Finally I smoked the whole thing for 12 hours (5th and final mistake) on Adler pellets for 12 hours using an A-MAZE-N maze. The end result was something closer to salmon prosciutto in the centre of the fillet and salmon jerkey on the edges. Now, it wasn’t terrible per say. But it was way too smoky, way too salty a d had the wrong texture.

For attempt #2 i went 50/50 salt/sugar dry cure  on a thick, head end piece of fillet from an atlantic salmon. Cured for 24 hours in a vac bag, turned half way through. Rinsed and purged for 30 minutes then dried on a wire rack to form a pellicle for 4 hours. 4hrs of smoke this time around in the KJ. SloRoller set up for indirect cold smoking. We’re having a snow storm up here in Canada right now, but the temp still bumped up almost 20C to 15C ambient inside the smoker. The end result was pretty spot on in texture. Next tine i may take the cure down another 6 hours to 18 hours, but i’m quite happy with the 4hrs of Smoke. The texture was spot on, maybe a little drier than expected but no complaints. 

Please let know if any of you cold smoking veterans have any tips. Im currently equilibrium curing a 3lb piece of pork belly for bacon for next weekend. Planning to smoke in 3 Separate 12 hr sessions. That will be pork belly attempt number 1. 

• By Smokingdadbbq
      In this video, you will find all of the information necessary to properly unbox and assemble your new Kamado Joe Classic III grill.  I didn't think to make a video for the first one, so thought I would share tips I picked up from doing it a second time around.