Electric for apartments & condos

Old Army Guy

Please help.  Florida fire codes prohibit the use of charcoal or gas grills on apartment and condominium balconies.  This is probably true in most other states as well.

I have a 220v outlet on my condo balcony for an electric grill but I don't know of any electric komado type grills.  Someone is missing an opportunity to meet this demand with a new electric komodo or a retrofit kit. 

Is it feasible to retrofit a kamado grill with an electric coil?  Has anyone done this?  What brand kamado grill would work best for this?

Wonder if you could retrofit one with the heating element from an electric smoker?

It really depends upon how hot you want to get it.  Most insulated electric smokers use a heating element of about 1000 watts to get to 300 degrees.  To get up to 600 degrees would take a lot watts. 

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, you are correct about watts.  I think a kamado type grill would provide better heat retention than a metal can smoker but I don't know how many watts are needed.  Do you have any idea?

Fortunately I have a 220v circuit with a 30amp breaker on my balcony.  That is enough for a normal kitchen cooktop so I should have the power.   I might get enough heat to grill a steak.  If not, I can at least slow cook or smoke. 

Old Sarge on the SmokingmetForums sent me these links

http://www.wattco.com/calrodheater.html  &  http://www.tempco.com/Catalog/Section 13-pdf/Bulb_Capillary_Thermostats.pdf

Don't know why they are a sealed unit but I suppose every insurance company government are paranoid they may have to pay out lol On single phase what your asking at 220 v we are 240 here in Australia but no grid can garentee a regular consistancy some places are running 250 considering the thermal mass even of a jnr it would take for ages to heat up plus be a total drain on your electricity . But in saying that a few ovens run on single but the majority 3 phase

I have a coworker who has a bradley electric smoker and he really likes it, he's brought in food from time to time and its always been pretty good. 

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/

I've never used them, but I would think that even those cheap electric smokers are decent if you have no alternative. You figure, it's a clean heat, and as long as you can get good smoke with the wood chips, it would probably add some good flavor.

Thanks everyone.  I welcome all the advice you can give.  

Paul, yes my condo does have a common area for grills, they even have a gas grill there.  But I am six floors up and at the other end of the building.  Too far to move a  smoker and if I leave it anyone could use it.

Aussie Joe, in the US hot water heaters, ovens and cooktops run on 220v obtained by running two 110v feeds.  30 amp breakers are common but induction cooktops require larger wires and a 50 amp breaker.  ElectrChef makes fancy electric grills see https://electri-chef.com For $3,000to $4,000 they should work but this is more than I want to pay and they are larger than I want on a balcony.  The webpage has wiring diagrams.

Please keep commenting

Before I got my Akorn I smoked with a 15A 120V hotplate in a very large terracotta pot. I had no problem holding 250F even with poor airflow control compared to a kamado, so with 4x the power available and better insulation and air control you should have no problems with anything except maybe high heat searing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Donnie_Brasco_9
      Hey guys. I’m doing a Pork Shoulder on a Kamado Joe Classic tomorrow. I’m only on my third cook and they have been average at best. Can someone give me the best way to do this smoke?
    • By Burgy12
      First time posting here and I need some help- this year the torch has been passed to me to cook Christmas dinner for my family (10 people). I purchased my KJ Classic II 3 weeks ago and thought I’d give Prime Rib a shot. I’m new to smoking/grilling but I’ve loved my KJ so far and cooked some killer dinners already. Confidence was high, did my research, purchased 11lbs of Prime Rib From a local butcher and took it home. 

First mistake: I thought I had ordered boneless PR - nope, bone-in... butcher had already cut the bones and retied to the meat. I thought I should just cut it off and proceed as planned. Well I cut the bones off and saw some thick chucks of fat (fat cap?) and took those off as well. trimmed a lot of fat off the back as well because it seemed too thick. Tied back up with butcher twine and now it’s sitting in the fridge seasoned with salt,pepper, garlic powder and wrapped in plastic. 

After watching numerous YouTube videos of people cooking with the bones attaching & properly trimming their PR - I’m terrified that I butchered (no pun intended) this meat and took out all the flavor removing the bone rack & fat cap. Im also worried that the meat will sit in the fridge seasoned too long and the meat will dry out as a result.  The cook will be tomorrow around noon which means it will sit about 36 hours seasoned. 

Any ideas to help this rookie save this cook is much appreciated!
      I’d love Malcom Reed or John Setlzer to just give me a pat on the back and tell me it’s going to be ok haha

P.S. I’m planning on adding a wet rub over the PR about an hour or two before throwing it on the Joe tomorrow: cooking low&slow over indirect heat around 225-250 until internal temp hits about 120 - removing and letting rest while I crank up the Joe to 500 for a quick reverse sear. I also still have the bone rack and not sure what to do with it. 

• By 5698k
      Ok gurus, I need help. I'm in unfamiliar waters, and I'm hoping someone can save me. I have to cook some 1.5" filets in the oven, then I'm planning on finishing in a skillet, and I have no clue as to timing, help!!! I'm looking for mid rarish.
    • By smoker08
      I used gas for years then found pellet smokers. I've been smoking with pellets for 6 years and love it. My daughter grew up, moved to Ohio and got married. Now she misses my smoked food. Since pellet smokers cost so much to run I knew that that wouldn't be a good choice for them. I did my research and found the Acorn at Lowes. After I had all the options pros and cons I got with my new son and said I'll splurge for a smoker for you'll in this range. I told him pros and cons of gas(with smoke box), indirect charcoal, stick, electric, and the Acorn. He asked if he could have some time to decide. Although I wanted to get it then and try it out (I figured he'd decide on the Acorn or the electric Masterbuilt ) I knew I would do the same thing so I said take time to research and decide. Alas I had to fly home before he decided. As you can guess, as soon as I arrived home I got word he had done the research and has decided on the Acorn. Since they will be moving soon I told them lets wait till they actually move so the unit doesn't have to go through a move needlessly.

I'm glad I found this site and will be telling him. If it weren't for the fact that I cook a case of butts at a time a couple times a year for church socials I'd be tempted to swap my pellet in. Don't fret though cause I may get one later anyway for the high searing ability for steaks and pizza I hear this thing is great for. I can't wait to hear what they say after they get it and start smoking. This is the kind of smoke she will like to smell.