Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  

Beef short ribs on the Akorn (Epic Overshare!!!)

Recommended Posts

I was recently inspired by Maxhawk's cook over in this thread: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/12928-beef-short-ribs-on-the-big-joe/


I mentioned in my post there that I had some short ribs in the freezer, and I pulled them out on Friday to cook them on Saturday.  I had big plans for cooking and hanging with my 3-year-old son while my wife was out for the day with her mom.  We accomplished almost everything on our list, except for the flying a kite, since there was no wind to be found.


I hope you don't mind the wave of photos - with my wife not around, I didn't have to put up with the funny looks she gives me when I'm snapping pictures of my food in all stages of prep!   ;-)  I'm a photographer anyway, so I tend to document everything.  


We did get out for a bike ride in the late morning, and you can see that it was terribly exhausting for Colin.









We got home, I fed him lunch, and I got started on dinner.  I had 3 decent-sized ribs that I cleaned up a bit.






The short ribs got a little bit of olive oil, and then I applied a steak rub on them.  What steak rub?  Good question!  It was a rub I had sitting in a container in the cupboard for a little while, and I don't remember exactly which one it was.  Might have been a take on Meathead's rub - dunno!  I'm pretty sure it was a hybrid of a traditional steak rub with a little bit of barbecue rub goodness in there (paprika, etc.).  Either way - I figured it would work, right?  B)








I fired up the Akorn with a few chunks of cherry wood mixed in.  (Cherry just smells so good!)  Got it stabilized right around 240, and put the ribs on around 1:30.  That was a little bit behind schedule, but that's the way it goes with a toddler running around!  I was figuring maybe 6 hours or so.  My plan was to bring the ribs up to around 205 internal.  Being my first time with these on the smoker, I was guesstimating timing based on a few reads I had done online.


I didn't take a look at them until around 5:00.  Looking good!  The temp had been fluctuating just a bit, but I kept it in the 225-250 range all day.







Not long after this, the ribs hit the stall.  They were at 162.  Then 162.  Then 160.  Then 158.  Then 160.  Then 160.  Stuck there for about an hour.  I am patient.




Colin and I had made a farm market run to find something for sides, and I picked up some acorn (Akorn?) squash and asparagus - both locally grown.  Before prepping those, I fed Colin some spaghetti.  (He is not as patient as Daddy.)  I prepped the Squash and threw it on the Weber around 7.  I needed a higher temp for the squash, so I decided to just do that on the gas grill.  Sorry - not Kamado, but it looks pretty enough to include anyway...


Pierced the squash with a fork, loaded it up with local honey, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and coriander.  Topped it off with butter.






Got them started.




Inspired by the original thread, I decided to do a glaze.  I didn't really want the maple honey glaze of the original, so I tweaked the "Steakhouse Glaze" from my friend Dave Joachim's killer cookbook, "Mastering the Grill."  Glaze consisted of A1, Ketchup, Brown mustard, EVOO, Garlic, and my additions of bourbon and brown sugar.  I cooked the glaze a little to burn off the alcohol.




Opened the vents up to crank the heat a little and put the glaze on.




Checked the squash.  (In one of my saddest cooking moments ever, the squash on the right lost all the honey and butter when I moved them to the rack to make room for the asparagus later...)




Caught the boy in the golden hour.




Prepped the asparagus (EVOO, salt, pepper).  This might have been the best asparagus I've ever had - which I am totally attributing to the quality and freshness of the asparagus from the local farm.




Ribs almost done...  (This was right about when my wife got home and commented on how smoky it was, which of course, had only happened in about the last 5 minutes from cranking the vents for the glaze.)






Asparagus is on...  (also on the Weber)




Finally pulled the ribs and brought them in.  I let them rest for a little bit, but not long.  Total cook time was right around 7 hours.












The money!!!




And the aftermath.




So... the ribs were pretty amazing.  I was clearly going for a steakhouse flavor, and it was a pretty excellent marriage between steakhouse and barbecue.  I would definitely say they were up there with some of the better briskets I've had in my day.  The glaze was good, but not necessary.  You can see in the pictures how juicy these were.  Not sure if I would do the glaze next time or not.  Maybe!


Turned out my wife had eaten with her mom (at Wendy's!?!?!), so she didn't even eat them that night!  The leftovers are turning into short-rib nachos with sharp cheddar, homemade guac, and homemade creme fraiche for a friend's Memorial Day party tomorrow.  Snacked on a bite or two while I cut them up, and even cold they were absolutely over the top.


I highly recommend throwing some shorties on the kamado and letting them take the long, slow ride.


Hope you enjoyed my epic overshare!!!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful post! You can snap all the pics you want and share them here! Great cook. Loved the shot of Colin! He's quite the young boy!

And Wendy's? Are you certain that's your wife? This could be the first certified case of alien abduction! :lol:

All in all, just a wonderful post. You and Colin had a great day!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. Today I took the leftovers to my buddy's house and made short rib nachos.

Diced the meat, placed it on top of the chips with sharp cheddar on top, then baked it at 400 until melted. Served it with fresh salsa, guacamole, and creme fraiche. I've never seen something go so quick at a party!

My buddy, the host, didn't get any of the first round, but was able to pick up a couple of tiny pieces of short rib left on the baking sheet. He couldn't get over the huge flavor that was in that one tiny little piece of meat!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By BrianAZ
      Is proof that God loves us. What an amazing piece of meat. 

    • By Daz
      Hi all, I was in love with my Akorn rotisserie setup but bored with birds, I decided to put some SLC ribs on a rotisserie setup. Ribs came from Costco pre-dry rub. Had three chunks of Kiawe wood on top of a snake of charcoals. No drip pan but the fire is on the side. Grill was around 350-400 degrees most of time and only took two hours for the ribs to be done. The rotisserie eliminated the under/over cooked spots and from now on I'll always do ribs on a rotisserie!
      Check out the video I made and enjoy the weekend 
    • By Fudpucker
      As the title suggests, I am looking for help getting my Akorn to act the way I want it to for smoking purposes. 

      I have the smoking stone, use a water pan, and lower my dampers until it basically snuffs out my fire, but I cannot seem to keep my Akorn at 225. 

      Now, I will admit that I am new to smoking and that there is a lot to be learned, but I have read tons of guides and watched videos and replicated them to my best ability, but still cannot get it to work for me. 
      Currently, my process is this:
      Open dampers all the way Fill bottom of grill full of hardwood lump Light with cotton balls soaked in alcohol Toss in a couple chunks of hickory Place my smoking stone Place my water pan Close lid and let set until 150 Close dampers halfway until 180 Close dampers again halfway until 210 Close dampers halfway one last time to about .5 on top and bottom.  
      1 of 2 things happens here. Either the temp keeps building to nearly 300 or the fire dies. 
      I play with the dampers making very small .5 adjustments to try and finagle it, but I cannot seem to get it right. 
      When I do seem to get the temps in a semi stable range around 230-260 (after LOTS of adjustments), after about an hour I go to spritz my meat with some apple juice and the temps take off again (Obviously because I just fed it a lot of oxygen) and never seem to come back down. 
      I have read about this "volcano" method of lighting the coals, but I literally have not found any videos or pictures on how to set that up. 
      Basically, I have no idea what I am doing wrong and I could use someone being critical of my process to give me some advice and direction. 
      Thanks for any feedback!

    • By Daz
      Finally I got around to finish this idea I had for a long time, ever since I made the pizza ring. I picked up a set of Weber Rotisserie and lathed part of the shaft round to fit the Akorn. I cut two little "V" on the pizza ring and the drive motor sits perfectly on top fo the side table - lucked out on that one! The chickens were marinaded with Hawaiian Huli Huli Sauce for two days, with some Hawaiian Salt Seasoning, freshly ground pepper and they turned out amazing. I gotta thank my neighbor who worked at a construction site and got me a tuck load of dried out Kiawe wood. It burns really hot and long lasting. I'm starting to put a kit together and will report back on the progress.
    • By Daz
      I dug up my old files today and found this hitch rack I designed and built back in 2015. I couldn't find the installed pic but I was hauling my akorn around with it. 
      Never made it to production but if there is enough interests here I may make a few sets. I'll tell you there will be a lot of compliments at traffic stops haha.
      The floor jack will be replaced with a standalone hand truck that can be used as a floor stand when the grill is off the truck. 

  • Create New...