• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
SmallBBQr

Divide & Conquer Keg

How much were all the pieces to complete this mod and what parts are needed? Has anyone established if this set up could be used without modifing the original firebowl brackets?

Thanks

Glenn

No, I could not get the "Flexible Cooking Rack" in without modifying the brackets.  It would sit up too high perhaps?  I am having trouble recalling how much it would rise it up.  It sits right on the firebowl now to get the top level grate level with the keg opening.  This way you can use the lower level for closer searing, deflectors etc.

Couple alternatives came to mind though - remove the factory brackets, and replace them with some home-made ones.  With some welding skills, you could probably also modify the cooking rack to fit around the brackets as well perhaps.  Would have to look at that option closer.

I absolutely LOVE the keg/KJ/KAB system all combined now.  Was not cheap to do, but I would do it again though.  COMBINED with the Kick Ash Basket, it is even better, as when desired I put the KAB basket on the cooking rack so I bring the coals right up below the grate for high temp searing too.

This is what I ordered and the prices at the time.  Canadian site so $$ probably gone up.  I think I already had the cast iron half-moon as I already used it on the original keg grill.

This is Canadian $$.  All ordered from BBQS.COM at the time.  I already owned the cast-iron half-moon and I think one other piece as well....not sure if the list below is complete.

Item                                                                              Sku                      Qty    Subtotal

Classic Joe Grill Expander                                           KJ-SCS                 1       $64.99

Classic Joe Flexible Cooking Rack                              KJ-FCR                 1       $54.99

Classic Joe "X" Accessory Rack                                  KJ-XR                    1       $24.99

Classic Joe 1/2 Moon S/S Cooking Grill                      KJ-HCG                 2       $99.98

Classic Joe Ceramic Halved Heat Deflectors              KJ-HDP                 1        $54.99  (you get two in the pack).

Here's a couple more recent pics showing the KAB in both low/high positions....

Low Position...

post-4846-0-95928900-1460059234_thumb.jp

High Position...

post-4846-0-92822700-1460059238_thumb.jp

I went into Lowes and checked the D&C system out on a Classic Joe. It is a very nice set up with lots of options. One of the best Kamado system around. I am ready to take the plunge and convert my Keg.

Do you use the 2 half moon Joe diffusers for indirect or something else?

Glenn

Sorry, just saw your reply/question here.

I mostly cook pizza on steel, so I use them as heat deflectors for under my pizza steel, and then the usual low/slow as well.

This picture is the half-moons under the steel, and I use them down below as well in the lowest position for the low/slow setup.  If I really want to add a lot of heat holding mass for low/slow, I'll even stack the stone/steel on the low position.  Once that steel heats up...it holds heat a long time.

post-4846-0-62270100-1461098246_thumb.jp