pizza without a stone?

I was thinking about trying a quick pizza tonight with some store bought pre made dough

I have made them before on my kettle, but not an Akorn

But I do not have a stone, can I made one without it?

if so, any tips would be  great

thanks

Do you have a camp chef griddle or a lare CI pan. Just set it above your deflector with an air space in-between. .

no, not yet.

can I just cook it on the rack? I thought I saw somewhere that someone cooked the crust slightly to setup then flipped it upside down, loaded it up then cooked it.

but then I am not sure

thanks

I've never done it...IMO it might burn the bottom before being done. A pizza stone also wicks away moisture from the dough while cooking, helping to produce a crispier crust.

If you are unsure which stone you want, a good stopgap measure is to buy one in the BBQ dept. at Walmart. They cost less than $10 and held up quite well for me in my Vision. I did purchase 2; one as a deflector and one for cooking on the top rack. If you only use one on the rack (without a deflector) be careful not to let the stone get too hot before cooking or you'll burn the crust.

Good luck! Pizza on a Kamado is quite tasty!

thanks

what temp should I shoot for? 450-500?

That would be good...I normally did mine between 500 and 550 which allowed enough time for the toppings to brown and the cheese to melt, but not burn the crust.

Good luck!

You can cook right on the grate, just be sure to really clean the grate first or whatever is on the grate will cause your pizza to stick.  Cook it a couple minutes topping free and then flip it and add your toppings.  If you are shooting for a kitchen sink pizza, you will need to take it off the grate before adding your toppings.