KJ Classic - Sloppy factory QA/QC

mabartle

Say what you want, but I have a hard time accepting the "spider cracks just happen" excuse.

So you guys would be OK spending $1,000 on a grill and and accepting the fact that the factory left silicone smeared on the front of it and doesnt seem to care? There is also more on there than the pictures show. I even had to cut some out of the track on the vent door so that it would work properly. If you have seen the texture of a KJ in person, you would understand that a razor blade is not going to remove it either. I would also be concerned what that would do to the finish. As far as my analogy being exaggerated goes, I dont quite think it is. As far as I'm concerned, $1,000 is a lot of money to spend on a grill and I expected to recieve a high quality product in return.

I agree with you mabartle. Let's face it, this is a high/end luxury product. Even minor finish imperfections shouldn't be tolerated at this price point. I get it, easily to overlook because you are cooking on it and not putting on an art show. I get brand loyalty and all that. However (I have a previous post on it) even something as simple as shipping the product with an old manual, to me, is detrimental to the brand. I'm personally dealing with a finish imperfection on how the ash tray fits into the firebox and optimistic it will get resolved appropropriately but seems to me these types of issues are common.

Sorry to hear you're not pleased with your purchase. It's yours to do whatever you wish with but if it cooks like its suppose to I'd be happy with it. The lower vent door on mine is sealed with silicone but it isn't smeared. I too would assume it would be an easy remedy.

Good luck and hope you stick with it, they are amazing cooking tools.

Let's face it, this is a high/end luxury product.

Ummm No.

Akorn, Vision, Auplex - low end.

BGE, KJ, Primo - middle of the road but awesome Kamados.

KK, and Galaxy (debatable) - high end luxury.

You are getting what you paid for. An awesome kamado although with many known problems but top of the line customer service.

I do think if all the customers of KJ dog them over minor details they eventually won't be able to withstand the constant warranty replacements. Wait till you have a real problem (cracked firebox or ring) then you'll have something to complain about.

Crazing - you should have know that before you made the purchase.

Sloppy silicone - clean it up and grill on.

Ummm No.

You are getting what you paid for. An awesome kamado although with many known problems but top of the line customer service.

I do think if all the customers of KJ dog them over minor details they eventually won't be able to withstand the constant warranty replacements. Wait till you have a real problem (cracked firebox or ring) then you'll have something to complain about.

good to know that spending 1000 - 1500 on a charcoal grill isn't considered a high-end luxury product. I doubt most people would agree with your assessment.

That's funny. You paid for a name.The same factory that churned out my supposed low end vision probably cranked out your excellent KJ. But hey your one of the cool kids now. At twice the price.

I'm sure that Chinese worker making pennies an hour feels real bad about your situation. KJ is laughing all the way to the bank at the fan boys. Gotta hand it to great marketing and fan boys and forums.

Lol

Ummm No.

good to know that spending 1000 - 1500 on a charcoal grill isn't considered a high-end luxury product. I doubt most people would agree with your assessment.

$1,000 - $1,500 is just what decent ceramic Kamados cost. If you didn't want to move into that price point you should have stuck with a Weber. Doesn't mean you went high end luxury it's just the cost of the product.

Say what you want, but I have a hard time accepting the "spider cracks just happen" excuse.

Crazing is very well documented on all ceramic kamados. EVERY BRAND, every forum. I did my research before buying, I knew what to expect.

Same here, I knew about crazing on the front end, you can google the term for more information

Ummm No.

I agree, my KJ's are awesome and I love them but they are not high-end luxury. I paid 10x that for my car and trust me, no one is calling it high-end luxury lol.

Ummm No.

Some would say if you can't afford the ante, don't sit at the table.

And a Kamado is much more than a charcoal grill. I classify that as a kettle. Kamados are grills, smokers, roasters, ovens, etc.

Again, you only get what you demand. Call your dealer, call KJ. This ain't rocket science here sports fans! Your remedies are squarely before you. Use them to your benefit! You paid for those remedies to be available to you.

Finally I would say this: you expect perfection. Ok. When was the last time you ever did anything that came close to the standard you set for others? Seriously. If you can't meet your standard that you set for others, maybe you should re-evaluate your standard as just slightly unrealistic.

For those who are saying that the OP shouldn’t be dissatisfied with the sloppy silicone job on his KJ grill because appearance doesn’t matter, not too long ago there were a number of posts about how folks were unhappy with KJ because they were phasing out the black KJ grills in favor of going all red. If appearance didn’t matter, then why all the consternation about a color change? Why were there folks here on this forum scrambling to get a black KJ grill before they all sold out? Not to mention the folks that picked KJ instead of BGE because they liked red/black more than green. Should we say that they picked KJ for a silly reason?

The fact is that appearance can and does add value to any item that we buy. We all may value appearance differently, but that doesn’t mean that we get to impose our values on the importance of appearance onto someone who has a different take.

Maybe kamado buyers should know that crazing of the glaze is an unavoidable part of buying a ceramic kamado grill. (I agree with this.) Maybe having a sloppy silicone job is something you should expect unless you’re willing to spend considerably more than $1000 on a kamado grill. (I don’t agree with this.) Either way, KJ should at least address the OP’s concern about the silicone on his grill. Maintaining silence is not very good customer service, especially since the OP asked the question.

Ummm No.

I do not agree with your comments and I think that it is a very pompous opinion. Perhaps it is just that I know you dropped big coin on a KK. I think that he should get what he has paid for and who is to say what that should be? I think that fit and finish (minus the crazing as that is an issue of all ceramics) should be a premium at this price point.

If you went to a restaurant and ordered a $150.00 steak and they brought you a boiled grey piece of meat, would you feel like you got what you paid for? It is still the steak you asked for, it fits the need of providing nourishment but it looks and tastes like crap on a plate. When you speak to the manager they tell you well you got what you paid for, you could have ordered the $300.00 steak instead. Would you accept that and walk away happily? Or would you feel like you were not provided what your expectation was?

What some classify as a luxury item depends on the persons point of view and I do not think that any of us should comment on what others feel is a luxury item to them. A Porsche would be a luxury vehicle for most people but to a professional athlete they can give them away like a candy bar. To convicts cigaretts are luxury items. The idea of Luxury depends upon personal circumstances which we all have different ideas of.

Ok that is my 2 cents...I will step down off my soap box now.

So you guys would be OK spending $1,000 on a grill and and accepting the fact that the factory left silicone smeared on the front of it and doesnt seem to care? There is also more on there than the pictures show. I even had to cut some out of the track on the vent door so that it would work properly. If you have seen the texture of a KJ in person, you would understand that a razor blade is not going to remove it either. I would also be concerned what that would do to the finish. As far as my analogy being exaggerated goes, I dont quite think it is. As far as I'm concerned, $1,000 is a lot of money to spend on a grill and I expected to recieve a high quality product in return.

I agree with you mabartle. Let's face it, this is a high/end luxury product. Even minor finish imperfections shouldn't be tolerated at this price point. I get it, easily to overlook because you are cooking on it and not putting on an art show. I get brand loyalty and all that. However (I have a previous post on it) even something as simple as shipping the product with an old manual, to me, is detrimental to the brand. I'm personally dealing with a finish imperfection on how the ash tray fits into the firebox and optimistic it will get resolved appropropriately but seems to me these types of issues are common.

I know we all have different perceptions of money and value but in the outdoor cooker marketplace Kamado Joes and BGE's are hardly in the high end/luxury part of that market.

Here is a luxury kamado - http://komodokamado.com/collections/32-big-bad-komodo-grills/products/32-big-bad-very-dark-blue-black-pebble-a5850a-eta-late-feb

As far as the crazing that is an inherent aspect of kamado cookers that use a glaze finish. Here's some more info - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#glaze

In a perfect world everything we buy would be assembled perfectly, packed properly, and shipped from one side of the globe to the other sans damage.

Kamado Joes and BGE's are assembly line products and as a result sometimes some minor imperfections like this will get thru. I agree that Kamado Joe should respond but my guess is that they are going to suggest that you just scrape it off if it bothers you. I think that is pretty reasonable but I'm guessing that will not be acceptable to the original poster.