Sign in to follow this  
GastoniaGriller

Butterflied leg of lamb

Saw this recipe on yahoo a while back and decided to try it. Cooked it over easter on a cheap little charcoal grill and it was a huge so i can't wait to try it on my akorn. It's pretty easy to make which was important especially since this was my first time cooking lamb and even my 3 year old loved it so i thought I'd share it with you guys. I used a 2-3 lb semi boneless leg of lamb then just butterflied it and deboned it myself. This is pretty much just copied from the recipe I bookmarked and the meat really did come out as beautiful as the picture.

post-9076-0-51640300-1433978491.jpg

Grilled Butterflied Lamb Recipe

Plan on letting the meat marinade in the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight before you start grilling it.

1½ cups of olive oil (or enough to fully coat the meat)

8 garlic cloves, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped mint

2 tablespoons chopped oregano

2 tablespoons chopped rosemary

Juice of a medium-size lemon

Kosher salt and cracked pepper for rub

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Let the marinade sit at room temperature for an hour to infuse the oil with all of that herbal goodness. Stir occasionally. 

When the marinade is ready, spread the lamb on a cutting board. Rub a few full pinches of salt and cracked pepper (about six to eight turns of the pepper mill) over the meat, place it in a sealable plastic bag, and add the marinade. Stick your hands in there and work the herbs into all of the nooks and crannies of the meat. Seal the bag, give it a good shake to cover all of the meat, and let it marinate in the fridge. Flip the bag over every now and then. Let it marinate for at least 4 hours, and ideally overnight.

After the meat has marinated, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit at room for about 30 minutes.

When the coals are covered with gray ash, spread them over the bottom grate of the grill. Replace the cooking grate, let it heat up for a few minutes, and place your meat on it. The exterior will sear fast (which is what you want), so keep an eye on things. After about 1½ minutes (or until the exterior is nicely browned, with a few crusty ridges here and there), flip the meat. Sear for another 1½ minutes. Cover the grill (leaving the vents about ¾ open) and cook the meat for 4 minutes. Flip it and let it cook for about another 3 minutes.

This is a good time to check doneness. Insert a digital rapid-read meat thermometer halfway into the thickest part of the meat. The meat’s ready when the thermometer reaches 130° F, definitely no more than 135° F. Remove the meat from grill, let it rest for at least 15 minutes, slice thin and serve.

I wish I could take credit for that picture but that is the picture from the recipe. They served a greek sticky rice, green beans with red bell peppers and tomatoes, and a tzatziki sauce with it in the recipe. If I remember correctly I served some grilled asparagus and roasted new potatoes with ours. I can find the recipe for their sides and post them if you'd like.

I wish I could take credit for that picture but that is the picture from the recipe. They served a greek sticky rice, green beans with red bell peppers and tomatoes, and a tzatziki sauce with it in the recipe. If I remember correctly I served some grilled asparagus and roasted new potatoes with ours. I can find the recipe for their sides and post them if you'd like.

Grilled asparagus and potatoes sound good. The Greek sticky rice sounds intriguing.