Most quantity and how best to do it?

Hey all,

I've finally decided my next grill will be the Akorn as don't have the $$$ or feel for a ceramic yet.  After the high praise I've seen on this and other forums, decision made.  Now, that being said...

We are a no-pork household (when the wife isn't out of town lol) so for our mass feedings (like July 4 coming up), it's usually spatchocked chicken or brisket.  This means usually anywhere from a smaller 10# packer to 3-4 spatchcocked (preferably, beer-butt as necessary for space).

My questions to you are:

What's the biggest packer you can fit without having too much direct from the outer edges of whatever diffuser you use?  The outer-edge part can be disregarded if there is no/negligable direct that comes from around that space.

Same question but for whole birds.  i usually use ~5# young chickens from Sam's or similar.  for this would it be better to get a bigger roaster instead?

The rest of my usual types of cooks I'm not so much worried about...but it's the 1-off type of events like cooking for the cul-de-sac that worries me with quantity.

Thanks in advance.

You could also try some boneless short ribs, they cook up great. I have had an 11 lb Brisket on my Akorn and it came out great but that's the largest I have tried. You can solve the edge cook problem by trying to place the extra length over one of the tabs on the diffuser plate. The shape of the plate allows more areas of direct heat on the Akorn then on my Big Joe and I always try and place the edges, of whatever I am cooking, over the tabs.

This one was pushing 15# and was end to end when I put it on. There wasn't any issue at the gaps. Biggest I cooked was 17# and same thing with ni problems.

As far as chicken, I usually get the 4-5# whole fryers. Never git a baking hen so I'm not sure.

This one was pushing 15# and was end to end when I put it on. There wasn't any issue at the gaps. Biggest I cooked was 17# and same thing with ni problems.

As far as chicken, I usually get the 4-5# whole fryers. Never git a baking hen so I'm not sure.

Awesome, thx!

Have you considered chuck roasts? Their smaller size might allow you to fit more lbs/sq. inch.

Honestly have never done one...but definitely am considering it.

You could also try some boneless short ribs, they cook up great. I have had an 11 lb Brisket on my Akorn and it came out great but that's the largest I have tried. You can solve the edge cook problem by trying to place the extra length over one of the tabs on the diffuser plate. The shape of the plate allows more areas of direct heat on the Akorn then on my Big Joe and I always try and place the edges, of whatever I am cooking, over the tabs.

Thanks...I forgot about the tab thing being on there...especially on the actual one that goes in there.

You could probably fit two briskets on the main grate. It's possible that there will be a bit of overhang, but I would just fold the flat under itself a bit. That end is typically thinner than the point, so in effect, you're just balancing things out.

What I'd really like to see someone make is a brisket rack - a holder that lets briskets cook on their sides like ribs! B)