Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MtbChip

Update: Nothing done...

15 posts in this topic

Don't be fooled  (as I was) by the appearance of concern and willingness to help.  Galaxy outdoor is still NOT taking care of their obligation to make right the defective parts that were the subject of a post I made a few weeks ago.

The biggest effort was to post on this forum from the company rep "hey, I called, but he wouldn't take my call".   No one wants to get exposed on the internet of their business failings.   I don't need to elaborate, but there is plenty of relevant data on why NOT to do business with Galaxy Outdoor or Las Vegas.

What's missing? No parts have shown up. The company knows exactly what is needed and how to do it.  They boast of selling 600 units last year!   I really doubt they sold even 10% of that.   Odds are that if all three I bought were defective, the others are just the same.

This is the e-mail update received 6/12/15 from the BBB of Southern Nevada.  

You recently requested our help concerning a problem with the company named above.  

The company has not responded to BBB to date. If you have heard from the company please contact BBB at (702) 320-4500.

Chip--thanks for the info you've posted.  It sounds like a really bad deal on your end.  Hopefully it gets resolved. 

I have recently been on the same end as you with a large, well-known (and failing) national retailer and an appliance I bought from them.  I kid you not, they have made 23 service calls to fix this $300 appliance--their problem is they use a pool of outside contractors to perform the service and the same guy never shows up twice, so the new guy has to figure out what the previous guy did and why he ordered the new parts he ordered, etc.  Twice the guys went to the wrong address.  Talk about a cluster.  I've called 3 different 800 numbers to complain numerous times to no avail.  I will never buy anything from these folks again.  They have easily spent $2-3,000 on the service calls for a $300 appliance--no wonder that company is on the skids.  As luck would have it, the last guy had his service manager with him and he reviewed the situation and has finally put in for a replacement unit.  I am a very patient guy, but after about my 20th phone call with these goofs I got to a point where I could not speak to them either without losing my temper, which is definitely not my personality.  The one point in their favor (their continued willingness to set up service appointments) is completely overshadowed by their ineptitude--I've never seen anything like it, and hope I never do again.

So I can relate, is what I'm saying.  I'm not as financially invested as you are obviously, but with a high dollar item as you have, one would expect much better service.  Your high praise of the product initially, and your repeat purchases would indicate a genuineness to your experience, so until you let us know this issue has been resolved, I will personally view your experience as a warning with respect to these products/company. These cookers are so big and heavy that a failing part is not something I would want to have to worry about if I was the manufacturer/seller--hopefully your efforts will pay off at some point.  Keep us posted.

CeramicChef likes this

Chip--thanks for the info you've posted.  It sounds like a really bad deal on your end.  Hopefully it gets resolved. 

I have recently been on the same end as you with a large, well-known (and failing) national retailer and an appliance I bought from them.  I kid you not, they have made 23 service calls to fix this $300 appliance--their problem is they use a pool of outside contractors to perform the service and the same guy never shows up twice, so the new guy has to figure out what the previous guy did and why he ordered the new parts he ordered, etc.  Twice the guys went to the wrong address.  Talk about a cluster.  I've called 3 different 800 numbers to complain numerous times to no avail.  I will never buy anything from these folks again.  They have easily spent $2-3,000 on the service calls for a $300 appliance--no wonder that company is on the skids.  As luck would have it, the last guy had his service manager with him and he reviewed the situation and has finally put in for a replacement unit.  I am a very patient guy, but after about my 20th phone call with these goofs I got to a point where I could not speak to them either without losing my temper, which is definitely not my personality.  The one point in their favor (their continued willingness to set up service appointments) is completely overshadowed by their ineptitude--I've never seen anything like it, and hope I never do again.

So I can relate, is what I'm saying.  I'm not as financially invested as you are obviously, but with a high dollar item as you have, one would expect much better service.  Your high praise of the product initially, and your repeat purchases would indicate a genuineness to your experience, so until you let us know this issue has been resolved, I will personally view your experience as a warning with respect to these products/company. These cookers are so big and heavy that a failing part is not something I would want to have to worry about if I was the manufacturer/seller--hopefully your efforts will pay off at some point.  Keep us posted.

Sears?

JC Penny is next.  I hate to say it, but with as many options as there are today, if you don't take care of your customers, they will find some company that will value that relationship.  

I have a neighbor who had to go without fridge for better than a month before Sears finally gave up on fixing his year-old fridge, and brought him a new one. He had a full service warranty from them, mind you....

In the kamados over $2500.00, I have to put in my usual plug for Komodo Kamado. Not only am I aware of little to no history of problems due to any defect, or design issues, I've never heard anyone say anything but "wow" over Dennis' customer service

g.michael, MtbChip, ckreef and 2 others like this

I have a neighbor who had to go without fridge for better than a month before Sears finally gave up on fixing his year-old fridge, and brought him a new one. He had a full service warranty from them, mind you....

I know this is old but reading back through I recalled a story to share.  About 25 years ago my mother had one of the early model Lady Kenmore side by side fridge.  At this point it was already over 5 years old - maybe 10.  It broke, I called Sears and they didn't have the part to fix it.  They gave her a new late model Lady Kenmore for free.  She still uses that fridge to this day.  She did have the lifetime service plan.

And just to also follow-up--the replacement was received and installed and works like the original should have!  It was still a nightmare but the final two ladies I worked with (I had to physically go to the store to get the paperwork processed) were very pleasant and helpful--I'd buy something from them personally, but only if they go to work at another store!

Sears?

The whole time I was reading the OP I was thinking this has to be sears.

I know this is old but reading back through I recalled a story to share.  About 25 years ago my mother had one of the early model Lady Kenmore side by side fridge.  At this point it was already over 5 years old - maybe 10.  It broke, I called Sears and they didn't have the part to fix it.  They gave her a new late model Lady Kenmore for free.  She still uses that fridge to this day.  She did have the lifetime service plan.

I know some one who wanted to do the lifetime service plan on a Sears lawn mower. He had a relative who got a new lawn mower that way. the lifetime plan starts out low and keeps rising. You will very quickly pay far more than the price of a new top of the line mower.

I do have to say that with a Sears mower I love being able to order parts on line and do the repair myself. They come reasonably quickly and far faster than setting up a repair call. The parts are a bit pricey.

I know some one who wanted to do the lifetime service plan on a Sears lawn mower. He had a relative who got a new lawn mower that way. the lifetime plan starts out low and keeps rising. You will very quickly pay far more than the price of a new top of the line mower.

I do have to say that with a mower I love being able to order parts on line and do the repair myself. They come reasonably quickly and far faster than setting up a repair call. The parts are a bit pricey.

Lifetime warranty arrangements do not always make the most financial sense, but it is a viable option for some people, especially elderly or disabled people, like my neighbor, who was forced into early retirement with a disability. Although he's not hurting for money, he is on a fixed income, and really can't get out much due to his health. It helps him knowing his monthly expenditures every month, in relation to his bills, and just knowing that he's not going to have a $1500. appliance expense hitting him out of the blue gives him some peace of mind.

I do have to say that with a mower I love being able to order parts on line and do the repair myself. They come reasonably quickly and far faster than setting up a repair call. The parts are a bit pricey.

Lifetime warranty arrangements do not always make the most financial sense, but it is a viable option for some people, especially elderly or disabled people, like my neighbor, who was forced into early retirement with a disability. Although he's not hurting for money, he is on a fixed income, and really can't get out much due to his health. It helps him knowing his monthly expenditures every month, in relation to his bills, and just knowing that he's not going to have a $1500. appliance expense hitting him out of the blue gives him some peace of mind.

When you start hitting $350 to $400 a year it adds up. Since that includes repairs I can see how for some people it makes sense. I do my  own repairs. It is faster and cheaper.

Mewantkj likes this

I know this is old but reading back through I recalled a story to share. About 25 years ago my mother had one of the early model Lady Kenmore side by side fridge. At this point it was already over 5 years old - maybe 10. It broke, I called Sears and they didn't have the part to fix it. They gave her a new late model Lady Kenmore for free. She still uses that fridge to this day. She did have the lifetime service plan.
My parents had the same thing happen. Fridge broke after 12 years. Called Sears no parts available and they brought out a brand new one and installed it in three days. That was my senior year in high school 98' they are still using that fride today. Sometimes warranties pay off.