Pizza question

I did a few pizzas direct on the grate and they came out well

I just got a Brinkmann pizza stone and have been reading up on the method here

My question is can I place the stone on the warming rack to elevate instead of using bricks? 

Is this recommended?

thanks

I actually have a small stone that just fits in the extended rack. It's great for making small pizzas for the grand kids. I just use the main grate with some copper plumbing fittings to raise the stone a little higher in the dome.

thanks

yes the Brinkmann stone fits perfectly in the warming rack so I will try it

the Akorn is at 500f now so I will just hold it there until I cook it in a few hours

I have another question while I have your attention

I see a tip about using parchment paper and actually cooking it on the paper on the stone

I like this idea since I dont have one of those huge spatulas yet

but I thought the stone drew out moisture and provided a crisper crust, and that why its used

opinions?

thanks for all your help!!

not bad for a first try!

I do have to work on transferring the pizza to the stone

I am going to buy a pizza peel from Restaurant  Depot this week. I think that will help

I was perfectly round at one point lol

I was real proud of myself

oh well I am happy with it 

post-8799-0-63920000-1434325769_thumb.jp

Hey, if it tastes good, you won! My first Akorn cook was a pizza on a stone on the rack. Be careful, as I now notice that the main grate is cracked right by the warming grill socket. Maybe too much weight, or maybe I was too rough with it.

Hey, if it tastes good, you won! My first Akorn cook was a pizza on a stone on the rack. Be careful, as I now notice that the main grate is cracked right by the warming grill socket. Maybe too much weight, or maybe I was too rough with it.

thanks!

I thought I had read (and saw) before I bought this grill that people were doing 3 pork butts on it, 2 on the main rack and one on the warmer?

Doesn't sound now that that is a good idea.

I put my stone directly on the grill.  No spacers...  As long as you leave it to warm up long enough you'll be fine.

I have read that some people have issues on the warming rack due to the weight and some have started to see the CI grate crack because of it.  (around where it holds the rack)

I put my stone directly on the grill.  No spacers...  As long as you leave it to warm up long enough you'll be fine.

I have read that some people have issues on the warming rack due to the weight and some have started to see the CI grate crack because of it.  (around where it holds the rack)

thanks. I will just lay it on the grate next time. I allow plenty of warm up time

I like using the top extender grate when I make my pizza.......it makes it easier to look down into the Akorn and see how my pizza is cooking w/o opening the whole top

I like a lot of toppings so keeping the pizza up higher tends to cook the heavy toppings better than if I put it down on the main grate

Keeping it up higher tends to prevent the crust from being burnt

I like using the top extender grate when I make my pizza.......it makes it easier to look down into the Akorn and see how my pizza is cooking w/o opening the whole top

I like a lot of toppings so keeping the pizza up higher tends to cook the heavy toppings better than if I put it down on the main grate

Keeping it up higher tends to prevent the crust from being burnt

I was thinking about your last 2 reasons but did not think about the first

I am going to make a support prop out of spare metal to help the warming rack support the weight when using it. Just something simple