Sign in to follow this  
funkahdafi

Monolith?

Hi guys,

I actually want to get a Kamado Joe, but they are extremely hard to come by here in Germany (only two stores, online) and are thus priced ridiculously high.

So I found the Monolith Kamados and they appear to be good. Widely available and much cheaper compared to the K-Joe. Is there any experience with these cookers?

funk - I've had no experience with Monolith and don't know anyone who has. It seems to be a UK company.

What I would tell you is to check out their YouTube vids, search the 'Net for reviews, and then see them in person. Here in the US we place a premium on dealer support, customer service by the company, and a good warranty. Ask around and see if you can find someone who will let you see a Monolith in action. Kamado cooks are generally always eager to brag about their cookers.

Most likely the reduced price is due to the quality of the warranty. The higher priced kamados have the best warrantys. There is a company thats ships worldwide and make the best kamados and have the best warranty on the market.

Nah, I think it's a little different than that, tinyfish. The Kamado Joes over here cost a lot more than they would cost in the US, probably because they don't have a real distribution set up in Europe, so there is a lot of cost involved in getting them over here. Plus there are only 2 (!) dealers that have them, so that adds to the price too. The Monolith on the other hand is coming from a european company (Greece, AFAIK), they have an established distribution channel, they are widely available. The Monoliths over here cost about as much as you would pay for a Joe in the US.

That said, I would still prefer the Joe. Their device & conquer system is just very convincing. But without Kamado Joe having a real presence, things like parts replacement, price, warranty etc. all become a serious issue. 

Tough choice. 

Nah, I think it's a little different than that, tinyfish. The Kamado Joes over here cost a lot more than they would cost in the US, probably because they don't have a real distribution set up in Europe, so there is a lot of cost involved in getting them over here. Plus there are only 2 (!) dealers that have them, so that adds to the price too. The Monolith on the other hand is coming from a european company (Greece, AFAIK), they have an established distribution channel, they are widely available. The Monoliths over here cost about as much as you would pay for a Joe in the US.

That said, I would still prefer the Joe. Their device & conquer system is just very convincing. But without Kamado Joe having a real presence, things like parts replacement, price, warranty etc. all become a serious issue. 

Tough choice. 

funk - call Kmamdo Joe customer service and talk to them about your concerns regarding warranty claims, etc.  Presence is not necessarily that big a deal if you have a dealer around, great customer service, parts, etc.  I have a kamado that is built overseas, no dealer network, etc. but the reputation of the manufacturer, the quality of the build are such that I never gave it a second thought.  KJ is a quality company.  Talk to them.  It just may work to your advantage.

I wish you well in your decision.