Walked into Target last night and saw the last one they had in stock on the floor for $239.99....so I bought it!

I'm going to go get a couple/few pizza stones today.  Luckily, I have a tile saw at the house, so I could get a ceramic diffiuser and cut it myself.  I'm thinking about that anyway and make it so it's bigger than a 1/2 circle.  I think that'd give more real estate w/out choking airflow down too much.

Unboxing and first cook coming soon (hopefully by tonight)!!

Welcome and congrats on the Akorn!

Make sure to break it in and season the CI.   :)

Most definitely.  How long do you recommend for the burn-in prior to usage? 

EDIT:  Season the walls or no?  On my MES and barrell grill, I did.  I usually use Pam spray for high heat (or manual rub of canola).

Welcome and congrats on the Akorn!

Make sure to break it in and season the CI.   :)

Most definitely.  How long do you recommend for the burn-in prior to usage? 

EDIT:  Season the walls or no?  On my MES and barrell grill, I did.  I usually use Pam spray for high heat (or manual rub of canola).

Yes CI Grill only with PAM will do or manual canola or vegetable oil.

I left mine at 400-450 for a bit over 1 hour for the season and break in.  :)

They did.  I took the last one this store had.  Most say "limited availability."  I believe it's the 16620.  If you can do it for store pickup, you can get an additional +5% off.

Assembly in a few minutes.  We decided to assemble then address leaks as needed.  Mainly b/c I wanna season this thing and use it before band practice tonight LOL

Thx!

Didn't have time to get a diffuser from the store....so i made one.  Took a rectangular broiling pan, lined it w/ foil, put it over the coals on the tabs.  Currently stable @ 250°.  I'm paranoid, so I'm peeking on it every 15min or so.

Will post pics of my 1st sear once complete.

Let the reverse go too long so it's more done than we like (closer to med than med-rare)...but that wasn't a control thing...it was a not paying attention thing. Next time thicker steak and lower IT when pulling before seat. Anyhow...

8fea7ab43207c4237edd32bc959a790d.jpgddcf017776ff7f2b0eeec0c03df2c76e.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tarnation
      Dumped in the last of my Cowboy lump for a Saturday night pork butt. If you've seen any of the negative comments on Cowboy I didn't have any problems with the bag I had.  It was definitely a lot smokier start than my old KJ Big Block, but produced good food. See you smoke Cowboy! Up next is a bag of RO XL cut should be fun.  For now I've got a pork butt to cook.

• By JeffieBoy
      My daughter grabbed up some fresh, wild Sockeye filets at Costco a few weeks ago.  She dropped them into our freezer since she didn't have room in hers.  Yesterday, she asked us to pull two out to defrost for a dinner.  They were just around a pound each. They sat in the sink for three hours at which point she called and advised that she cancelled dinner due to a sudden stomach ailment.  We put them into the fridge then decided today that we should cook them up to prevent spoilage.  This afternoon, I made a brown sugar and kosher salt brine and soaked the fillets for just under two hours.

i fired up the Akorn to about 169 degrees, added some apple chunks and alder chips to supplement and then tossed the fish on.  They have been in the Akorn for about an hour now and I think I am going to go for about three more hours before pulling them off.  The Akorn has been holding steady now at 168-170 degrees F and that has surprised me.  I seriously thought that I couldn't get it to hold that low.  First time doing fish on the Akorn At a temperature this low, so any suggestions are appreciated!

More photos to follow as we finish up.

• By Tarnation
      Smoke rolls early in the morning for this rack of ribs and a prime brisket.  Binder is mustard, rub for the ribs is a Traeger rub I poached from dad, rub for the brisket is Thundering Longhorn beef rub. I'll keep you updated.

• By Tarnation
      1 hour in to my first turkey on the Akorn.  I let it smoke @ 250 then upped the temperature to 325 to cook and crisp. More updates to come.

• By Tarnation
      Prepped this little half butt for a work Halloween potluck last night, cooking it tonight.  Just a little teaser before I tucked in and put it to bed.