Komodo Kamado Looflighter GiveAway + CoCoChar Discount

got the discounted box of charcoal today.  The box is much smaller than I expected (not light, just dense).  It will probably wait till 4th weekend for me to try it (on pizza).

Smoke - break the sticks into about thirds by banging them together. Just let them fall into your firebowl, light 'er up, and enjoy. Note that lighting the CoCo char wil take a bit longer than what you're probably used to.

They've been all pre-broken about in half (probably when mail man threw it on to my front step - box was dented and standing on end).  I plan on arranging them in the fire basket like a honey comb and lighting with a paper towel soaked in old cooking oil and 90% rubbing alcohol.

You won't get proper air flow that way. The idea behind breaking them and falling randomly is to create irregular airflow, which will actually give you a more predictable, controllable fire.

They've been all pre-broken about in half (probably when mail man threw it on to my front step - box was dented and standing on end).  I plan on arranging them in the fire basket like a honey comb and lighting with a paper towel soaked in old cooking oil and 90% rubbing alcohol.

+1^. Like Rob says, that honeycomb arrangement will yield an absolutely terrible cook. Just let the lump pieces fall randomly into you firebowl, and light 'er up. Youll find that Coconut charcoal is the nest youve burned.

Think about your arrangement idea. Would you pile lump up like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle filling in all the medium and small spaces with various sizes of lump? NO! Why? No airflow! Where will you light your pile! Only at the top, right? So given that you've restricted air flow and the only fire you have is already at the top, what happens when the fire uses up the available fuel at the top of the pile? It goes out worst case or burns very slowly never getting up to your desired temp.

I know this is what happens because I did exactly what you're thinking of doing!

Don't over think this deal.

It's as much about the irregularity as it is about total volume in this case. You'd get enough volume stacking they way you suggested, but, as CC said, you stand the chance of only burning what you light, and the fire not jumping from coal to coal as necessary.

I need to try some of this stuff. Kind of expensive, but if it's consistent like briquettes, then it's worth the extra money. After burning a hole in my shirt this afternoon, I'm tired of the crapshoot bags of lump and having them pop when getting started.