Might as well start off the new Joe the right way. (I still need a name for her - and yes she's a girl - haven't figured one out yet).

9.24 lbs. Homemade rub. Coupla big chunks of cherry in there. Been on since 3:30. It's going to be a late night/early morning.

And something to sip on while I'm waiting.

@lardog - Laphroaig is either a love-it or hate-it scotch I've found. We love it. I found a limited release bottling from their Friends of Laphroaig called Cardeas the last time I was in NYC. I gotta tell you if you ever see a bottle, grab it fast. It's absolutely amazing. We still have about 1/3 of a bottle left and we're holding on to it for very special occasions. 

Congrates on your first cook. It looks good so far  and I know it will turn out great.

As for a name, how about Ginger? It's a girls name and a name for a red head. Since the KJ you bought is red, why not. Besides Ginger on the series Gilligan's Island was .... So it fits, right? Of course you know that means you'd have to get a custom made cover to look like an evening gown and a picture posting would be mandatory :rofl: :rofl:

Might as well start off the new Joe the right way. (I still need a name for her - and yes she's a girl - haven't figured one out yet).

9.24 lbs. Homemade rub. 

Can you share what’s in your rub? I’ve been on a little rub recipe kick recently. Thanks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Wardy
      So started my first overnight cook (two 5 1/2 pound pork shoulders) on my Weber summit kamado very early this morning. Planned for 10-12 hours at 225-250 so it could get rested and pulled for an early dinner at 4pm. We're hosting a baby shower for my sister in law so want plenty of food without me standing over the BBQ too much whilst people are here. I've been finding sourcing large pork cuts tricky here in the UK but spotted 2.5 kg pork shoulders in costco so picked a couple up.

Did a basic rub of salt, sugar, paprika, garlic powder, chilli and sage. Left the cuts to sweat for a couple of hours and got the grill set up. 

I had some problems getting the temperature stable in the first place, I was aiming to start the grill about 11 and get the meat on for midnight. I overshot the temp, I think because I added too much lit coal, so spent untill 1am getting the temp back down and stable. I put the meat on at about 12.30am. Not planning to look at the grill again until the morning.

Got woken up by the kids so checked the temperatures at about 3 am and all was good. This morning I woke up at 8 to find the fire had gone out. Looks like either the ash from my briquettes had blocked the lower air intake or I'd set the vents too low in the first place. Think I'll try lumpwood next time and see if that's better.

I've got the grill back up to temperature now (about 9.30am) and fingers crossed 4/5 more hours will do it. Internal temp has just hit 152 so I'm pretty sure it should still be fine. The dome is currently at 260 which is slightly higher than I want but probably not a bad thing all things considered.

I wasn't planning to wrap the meat when it hit the stall but now am thinking it might be a good idea. I think I'll see where it's at at 11am. 

Atmospheric picture of the grill being lit and the pork shoulders going on from last night:

Will update with how they turn out later 
    • By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      Does anyone have any experience with grilling whole squid? I toured my local "international" (their term) grocery store today and one item I saw was fresh whole squid. 

I'd like to take a crack at grilling it, but don't want to waste money winging it. Any tips/guidelines you have would be appreciated! Happy grilling 
    • By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?
    • By philpom
      they've been on for a bit, cruising at 215°f.  Going to finish each one differently but still debating the details.

• By Tarnation
      Dumped in the last of my Cowboy lump for a Saturday night pork butt. If you've seen any of the negative comments on Cowboy I didn't have any problems with the bag I had.  It was definitely a lot smokier start than my old KJ Big Block, but produced good food. See you smoke Cowboy! Up next is a bag of RO XL cut should be fun.  For now I've got a pork butt to cook.