Beef Short Ribs!

Bigs

I have NEVER made any type of beef rib, so decided to make some shorts.  I don't regret this at all.  Where have these been all my life?

Some Cattle Boyz seasonings on them. Smoked low and slow with a few maple chunks, foiled about 1 hour, rested 30mins then back on the grill for the sauce, Cattle Boyz sauce.

IMG_20150624_131123.jpg

IMG_20150624_171745.jpg

I was so excited thaty I was eating and I forgot the money shot.  Sorry, while I was eating I took this.  lol

IMG_20150624_173345.jpg

My wife never had beef ribs ever and she said these were the best ribs she has ever had.  :)

These were freakin amazing.  

Thanks for looking.

Looks awesome. I gotta try short ribs. I've only cooked beef back ribs a couple times.

I did back ribs once. Once.

Even though I cut them myself when I broke down a rib roast, and cut them to have a decent amount of meat on them, they weren't all that meaty. And the amount of fat we had to try to pick through to get a single morsel of actual meat was not worth it.

When I was planning on doing short ribs, my wife told me "I don't like beef ribs. They were terrible last time." When I told her these would be different, she didn't really believe me... Until they were on the plate. She was a convert...

Looks awesome. I gotta try short ribs. I've only cooked beef back ribs a couple times.

Thanks man, they were really really good!  

Nice

Thank you Douglas!

Even though I cut them myself when I broke down a rib roast, and cut them to have a decent amount of meat on them, they weren't all that meaty. And the amount of fat we had to try to pick through to get a single morsel of actual meat was not worth it.

When I was planning on doing short ribs, my wife told me "I don't like beef ribs. They were terrible last time." When I told her these would be different, she didn't really believe me... Until they were on the plate. She was a convert...

My wife and I weren't sure also but man I don't regret them one bit!  They will be part of a regular purchase from now on.

Remember, if you want good beef ribs, talk to the butcher's counter! Ask them if they have any uncut racks of beef short ribs still in the cryovac. That way, you get the big & meaty kind, and whole racks are easier to cook properly than those little rib-nugget things. Cook it up much the same way you would cook a brisket.

Back ribs are basically steak scraps. The meat is excellent if cooked properly, it's just that there's not much of it because it gets cut away to make pricey ribeye steaks and such.

Yeah it sure seems like the short ribs have way more meat on them. I think where I live they are usually sold as individuals already separated. But most of the time I've seen people cook short ribs they look like they got a good 1 to 2 inches of meat on top of the bones.

That's always been my biggest complaint too with normal beef back ribs is the lack of meat and not even close to the meat I usually get on my pork baby backs from Costco.

Now I really wanna go get some short ribs to give them a go.

Remember, if you want good beef ribs, talk to the butcher's counter! Ask them if they have any uncut racks of beef short ribs still in the cryovac. That way, you get the big & meaty kind, and whole racks are easier to cook properly than those little rib-nugget things.

+1

At my local butcher, they had everything in the case cut as flanken ribs. I asked, and they grabbed me a slab. 3 ribs wide, about 12" long, and IIRC about 5#.

That was good eatin'! I'll find my pics a little later :-D

Thanks for all the props guys!   :)  My wife is still talking about how good they were.  lol

When I was at the butcher yesterday, I had placed the order the day before for my beef back ribs and then the woman in the counter said they sold the beef ribs...  I told her they could have called me to tell me before I drove 45 minutes...  A few minutes later, one of the butchers comes out and tells me "I'll go cut one off right now for ya".   YES YES YES!  So this is what I got below.  (on top of the shorts)

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/21636-just-ordered/?p=286146

Brad, that slab looks freakin awesome.  I'll do that next time, thanks.