Smoked Cheese Grits

John Setzler

This weeks' video comes from Chris Lilly's "Fire & Smoke - A Pitmaster's Secrets" cookbook:

If you want to ROCK your breakfast table, or rock your table for any other meal where GRITS would be an appropriate dish or side dish, you MUST try this recipe!  

Smoked Cheese Grits:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups quick (5-minute) grits (not instant)
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used extra sharp)
4 ounces grated muenster cheese
1/3 cup whole milk
3/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:

Preheat your grill to 350°F and set up for indirect cooking with a light smoke wood for flavor and aroma.

In a saucepan, add 5 cups of water and then add the salt, black pepper and garlic powder.  Bring to a boil.  Once boiling, add the grits and stir to remove any lumps.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the grits start to thicken.

Remove from the heat, add the butter, cheeses, milk, worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce and mix completely.  Let sit uncovered until the grits are no longer hot to the touch then mix in the beaten eggs.

Pour the mixture into a 10-inch cast iron pan.   Place the pan on the grill and cook for 50-60 minutes or until the grits have browned across the top.  Remove from the grill and let cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve HOT!

Enjoy!!

I've never been a big fan of traditionally prepared grits.  But after watching that cook, John, I'm ready to rethink the whole concept.  Thanks, John.  That was interesting and eye-opening.  :woot:  :woot:

Thanks Jack :)

Grits are one of my favorite breakfast foods and I'm serious when I say that this recipe has re-defined how I think about grits.  All my grits up until now have been rather bland and I just dindn't know it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Pitman82
      Hello folks,

Not new to the smoking and grilling game but new to the Kamado. Set up my new Joe last night and had my first cook this morning for Mother’s Day breakfast.  

The subtle hint of wood and the unbelievable crispy ness of the pancake from the soap stone was something I had never experienced before.    The family agreed they were the best they ever had. 

Looking forward to many more cooks! 

• By philpom
      While it's cooler outside it's the best time to smoke a bunch of cheese.

Did mine a week ago, tested it today.  My best batch ever and I think my new favorite wood for cheddar is hickory.

This is extra sharp cheddar.  I crusted it with black pepper before vacuum sealing it.  Going to be fantastic after it rests a few months.  Last year I did extra sharp cheddar with pecan and crusted in chipotle.   Still have one of those sealed floating around.
    • By Rob_grill_apprentice
      Today I smoked with oak wood a roast rubbed with coffee rub and sliced thin for baguettes sandwiches from the baguettes I baked in the morning.  

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado People,
      I have been smoking for about 2 years now and I have never tried a pork roast style cook and beside whenever I have done pork roasts I have not got the crackling right and this is critical.
      So I decided to research a little and found heaps of methods out there, anyway I was stuck on three types 1. Continuous apply of vinegar, 2. Apply lots of salt to fat/skin, boiling water. All of these have the requirement of putting the pork into the kamado at a very hot temperature for around 30-40 mintues before dropping temperature to normal roasting temp of around 180/200°C.
      All of the above are required to have a dry roast, not fresh out of the plastic pack , best left overnight. At the last minute I decided to go with boiling water pouring over the fat and then right away into the hot kamado mine was at about 250/270°C range with one chunk of cheery, had no apple in the shed.
      Any how after 30min I closed the vents and the temp started to drop. Once at 180°C I left her there until internal reached 75°C and wow wow what a beauty. Moist and perfect crackling. Salt was needed to be added though.  

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado Peeps,
      Over the weekend I cooked up some pizza – cheese and veg cheese. I love the wood fire taste and the pizza is cooked just right in under 10min.
      I have not tried any backing yet but have done loads of baking on the webber. 
      Keep smoking