Red KJ Classic 18 $400 no warranty deal?

00p0p_ljP9L1ampmg_600x450.jpg00J0J_jFwFEb4r9h0_600x450.jpg00d0d_1LVy0MTWP8B_600x450.jpgWell maintained, gently used "Red" Kamado Joe. Comes with lots of accessories. Kamado Joe cover, Extended Stainless Grill, Ceramic Kamado Joe heat diffuser. Charcoal & wood chips to get you cook'n. Has extra ceramic base. Use as matching flower pot or keep for replacement.

Seems like a decent deal. I'd want to know the following:

1. What's up with the base? It seems like if he's got a replacement, there may have been a crack or other defect. Find out what it is. If it's a crack, then you basically don't have an extra base. If it's a visual defect, then you're good. If it's a fitment issue, then again you basically don't have an extra base.
  2. Anyone know what a replacement firebox costs from KJ? This is going to be your most likely replacement need, so knowing what it'll cost you (either shipped direct or from a local dealer) is important for future planning. 

Other than that, the only downside is that it's pre-D&C, but with the other grills you have listed in your profile, you can have multiple cooking surfaces, making the D&C less necessary. 

If you look at it, make sure you thoroughly inspect the firebox, fire ring, base, etc for cracks or defect. It wasn't represented in the post that there were any defects, so this would either be a deal-breaker or a reason to try to haggle and get it cheaper. 

I'd call KJ immediately to find out the cost of a replacement firebox, JUST IN CASE the firebox in this grill is damaged. That way, you know exactly how much room you need to claim when haggling if the firebox is cracked.

Let's see, the cheapest kamado is an Akorn and that's $300. This is $400 but no warranty.

I wonder looking at the area he was wheeling it if the crack didn't happen when he was rolling it from the flat cement only area (pic with cover on) to the area of cement bricks and lots of grass growing in between bricks. This probably wasn't completely level and jarred / shook the unit and it cracked. If this is what happened you may want to take each piece out and carefully inspect for other cracks. you could possibly have all the internals cracked on the non visible side. Still if that's the case they are likely small cracks and manageable. If there are lots of cracks or big cracks you may want to use that as leverage to get it down more. If nothing else, look at it as a cheap way into testing the ceramic kamado cooking arena just as we Akorn buyers test the kamado cooking arena with the purchase of their $300 Akorns.

I realize this is a lot of speculation and it is going to be a minority opinion, but assuming the extra "ceramic base" is the firebox and the existing firebox has a minor crack, I would not be overly concerned about the lack of warranty.  The firebox is the only thing one is likely to get replaced under warranty and IMO (again, I realize a minority opinion) a small, non-structural crack is nothing to be concerned about.  I would definitely make sure that I could remove it in one piece before I sealed the deal though and of course I would be very careful transporting it.

I saw essentially the same thing listed on craigslist for $500 a couple of months ago - extra firebox, extended rack, and diffuser.  I went to see it and offered $400, but the seller passed.  It was sold by the next day. Hard to say how much he got, but I told him to call me if he changed his mind so I doubt he took any less than that.  In an absolute sense I agree the absence of the divide and conquer and the warranty makes $400 an OK deal at best, but that is more than half off (unless a roadshow comes your way) and used KJs don't come up for for sale very often so they are likely to command a bit of a premium.

How much would a new one cost you with the warranty.

Unfortunately ceramic will crack its just a matter of when...thats expansion and contraction at work. Even fire boxes with a relief cut still crack.

Also it has an aftermarket handle it seems, look like it pitched forward damaging the handle and thermometer. If the ceramic body got any micro-fractures it's eventually going to get worse from the heating/cooling cycles.

With no warranty I'd walk away if that's the case. I couldn't bear watching this beauty crack. Just my humble opinion.

I would agree, I'd buy that up, barring any cracks in the main body or lid. Yeah, your odds are good that the firebox will get a crack, however, the odds are with you that it will not turn catastrophic. Cracks are very common in kamado fire boxes and there are a number of tightwad old timers on the Eggheader's Forum that are cooking on 30 year old fireboxes that are in two pieces, they just jig them together like a jigsaw puzzle and cook away....

Also it has an aftermarket handle it seems, look like it pitched forward damaging the handle and thermometer. If the ceramic body got any micro-fractures it's eventually going to get worse from the heating/cooling cycles.

With no warranty I'd walk away if that's the case. I couldn't bear watching this beauty crack. Just my humble opinion.

Is that an aftermarket handle or is that just the 2013 and older handle?

Although the more I think about it, the more I wonder how "gently" used a pre-D&C grill could be. I've been working my KJ like a rented mule and I've only had it two months!

Although the more I think about it, the more I wonder how "gently" used a pre-D&C grill could be. I've been working my KJ like a rented mule and I've only had it two months!

I was wondering the same. If it is the original shelves and handle, they look nearly new, no weathering, sun bleaching, burn or grease marks, whatsoever, mine had many after the first year of heavy use.

You are correct Brad, its an authentic KJ handle, my Big Joe had the same before I upgraded. I've also cooked the heck out my Big Joe a couple of years and it's outside in the harsh New England weather and still looks and works bomb.