dvalle07

Akorn table build

Hi Guys,

So I've been following a lot of guys on here and got inspired to build a table for my Akorn, I'm not a work worker by any stretch but I have learned a lot along the way. I'm almost done with the build. July 5th will be the day I complete it. I used white pine on most of it totaling in $170 in wood alone. (All from the lumber yard) about $70 in hardware/Stain,prep etc.. 

It was supposed to be a simple build but as I went along I kept changing and adding as I went. Hope you guys like it. 

Stain I used which Im not entirely happy with is Thompson water Seal Natural Cedar tone. (The pigment was hard to lay down- steaks, darker areas)

post-8936-0-19982400-1435681200_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-35722900-1435681202_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-81666400-1435681204_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-19366600-1435681207_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-41327600-1435681209_thumb.jp Added slots in the 2x4 so the Akron flanges can rest flush and secure

post-8936-0-05042300-1435681212_thumb.jp Now for the Test Fit! Looking good!

post-8936-0-50038500-1435681214_thumb.jp I really wanted to add doors but wast sure how to keep GOOD airflow while smoking low and slow

post-8936-0-46526700-1435681219_thumb.jp So....Im cane up with screens! Added a frame the stapled the screen to the inside of the frame and then screwed in for a clean look. 

post-8936-0-01417100-1435681222_thumb.jpSo far so good.  Going to be adding led light inside and adding the hooks and Akorn and she'll be done!

Hi Guys,

So I've been following a lot of guys on here and got inspired to build a table for my Akorn, I'm not a work worker by any stretch but I have learned a lot along the way. I'm almost done with the build. July 5th will be the day I complete it.

July 5th finish? Looks more like July 4th you'll inaugurate it with a family cookout. Looks mighty fine :congrats: . Did you use Kreg pocket hole jig for everything or just the vertical slats? Which jig do you have?

Hi Guys,

So I've been following a lot of guys on here and got inspired to build a table for my Akorn, I'm not a work worker by any stretch but I have learned a lot along the way. I'm almost done with the build. July 5th will be the day I complete it.

July 5th finish? Looks more like July 4th you'll inaugurate it with a family cookout. Looks mighty fine :congrats: . Did you use Kreg pocket hole jig for everything or just the vertical slats? Which jig do you have?

Thanks Smoker08-

I bought the Kreg junior for this project grossly underestimating the time it took to create ALL those pockets lol. But in the end it was worth it. I'm sure if I have more projects, I'll invest in a nicer more productive model. 

So, I have I elected to smoke ribs at my neighbors house on July 4th so I will be bringing my Akorn down the street to their house. If it wasn't that, this project would have been done already> I knew I had time so I worked on it little by little each weekend. Had a few buddy's over to help with some beer and enjoyed the experience.! But Yes July 4 I will be smoking =)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KamadoHop
      Thanks to @Kamadobjorn for the inspiration. The table is the “Applaro” Line. The hardware that you see in the last pictures all came from Hobby Lobby. The table comes with a thin, cheap pull bar and nothing else, not even knobs for the doors. The cooler pic is just for reference as that was what I was doing prior to getting the table. The last pic is sans hardware just the way it comes from IKEA. 

I used Lenox 18TPI metal jigsaw blades with an adjustable speed jigsaw set to its lowest setting to cut the hole. I used this edge trim from Amazon: Trim

If you have any other questions just ask. Cheers. 

• By Daz
      I dug up my old files today and found this hitch rack I designed and built back in 2015. I couldn't find the installed pic but I was hauling my akorn around with it. 
      Never made it to production but if there is enough interests here I may make a few sets. I'll tell you there will be a lot of compliments at traffic stops haha.
      The floor jack will be replaced with a standalone hand truck that can be used as a floor stand when the grill is off the truck. 

• By Daz
      My wifed signed me up for BBQ Ribs at my son's baseball endgame party. After working on my own controller like nuts for 3 years she now signs me up for every potluck party we go. So I was on a quest to find out how to use minimum effort to make pro-like ribs. I figured I'll make a video for it since I haven't smoked much of ribs for a while.
      Here is a process I tested today and the ribs turned out to be just as savory and tasty as, well, finely prepped ribs. It'd add a few points with some freshly cut herbs and garlic but these ribs turned out to be just amazing. Here is the process, no overnight seasoning, no wrapping and no mopping. The grill was not touched til the end. 

1. I went straight to Costco and picked up some pre-dry-rubbed St. Louis Cut Ribs. I've used them before and they are great. For only $3.49 /lb and seasoned, this is the best bang for the buck. This way I don't have to buy them ahead of time. The ribs are good to go. The rub was called "Souvloki" rub and it got a little heat in it. 
      2. I curled up the ribs into a standing tube with two skews. This way the ribs are cooked 1~2 hours faster and even on both sides. It took three hours to cook the ribs to 210 internally.
      3. Lit the starter cube, put in the heat deflector, insert the meat probes and grill probe. Put the meat in and close the lid for the first and last time.
      4. Set the temperature controller to 270. I was just experimenting with it, It worked really well. A nice bark was formed yet the inside is savory. It pulls off the bone easily. 
      5. That was it. No wrapping no mopping no nothing. Just cruise around for 3 hours and take it straight out of the grill and eat.
      So next time if you are in a hurry or just being lazy...you know what to do.

• By Smokingdadbbq
      Had a few people who follow my Instagram ask for more information on the table shown in some of my pictures. 

This is the cedar table work station I built to house my large and minimax big green eggs 

so far pretty happy with it 

• By Daz
      Hi all, we made a little video about cooking frozen pizza from stores. It was a fun lunch at work. When I first made the pizza ring 2 years ago there weren't many frozen pizzas in the stores, most are thick crust. but now...wow, they got their own aisle. So we dust off the pizza ring and made pizza lunch at work. 
      We tested more than 8 different brands of pizzas, and Newman's thin crust cooked best in the Akorn Kamado, California kitchen's Sicily pizza had a perfect dough/topping ratio, and even the cauliflower dough tasted good from the stone. The stone was kept around 450 - 500, anything higher may burn the dough without full cook the toppings. So on thicker dough keep the stone under 400 will be a good idea.
      Talking bout the stone, we used Rockheat we bought from Amazon, I'd recommend it. simple but smart handle design. We're working on a pizza stone with a digital thermometer built in, then you won't need the Infrared gun to read the stone temperature. I can probably program our controller to keep the stone temperature consistent. 
      https://bbqube.us/Turn-Your-Akorn-Kamado-into-an-Italian-Pizza-Oven-with-Kamado-Pizza-Ring_b_2.html