dvalle07

Akorn table build

Hi Guys,

So I've been following a lot of guys on here and got inspired to build a table for my Akorn, I'm not a work worker by any stretch but I have learned a lot along the way. I'm almost done with the build. July 5th will be the day I complete it. I used white pine on most of it totaling in $170 in wood alone. (All from the lumber yard) about $70 in hardware/Stain,prep etc.. 

It was supposed to be a simple build but as I went along I kept changing and adding as I went. Hope you guys like it. 

Stain I used which Im not entirely happy with is Thompson water Seal Natural Cedar tone. (The pigment was hard to lay down- steaks, darker areas)

post-8936-0-19982400-1435681200_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-35722900-1435681202_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-81666400-1435681204_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-19366600-1435681207_thumb.jp

post-8936-0-41327600-1435681209_thumb.jp Added slots in the 2x4 so the Akron flanges can rest flush and secure

post-8936-0-05042300-1435681212_thumb.jp Now for the Test Fit! Looking good!

post-8936-0-50038500-1435681214_thumb.jp I really wanted to add doors but wast sure how to keep GOOD airflow while smoking low and slow

post-8936-0-46526700-1435681219_thumb.jp So....Im cane up with screens! Added a frame the stapled the screen to the inside of the frame and then screwed in for a clean look. 

post-8936-0-01417100-1435681222_thumb.jpSo far so good.  Going to be adding led light inside and adding the hooks and Akorn and she'll be done!

Hi Guys,

So I've been following a lot of guys on here and got inspired to build a table for my Akorn, I'm not a work worker by any stretch but I have learned a lot along the way. I'm almost done with the build. July 5th will be the day I complete it.

July 5th finish? Looks more like July 4th you'll inaugurate it with a family cookout. Looks mighty fine :congrats: . Did you use Kreg pocket hole jig for everything or just the vertical slats? Which jig do you have?

Hi Guys,

So I've been following a lot of guys on here and got inspired to build a table for my Akorn, I'm not a work worker by any stretch but I have learned a lot along the way. I'm almost done with the build. July 5th will be the day I complete it.

July 5th finish? Looks more like July 4th you'll inaugurate it with a family cookout. Looks mighty fine :congrats: . Did you use Kreg pocket hole jig for everything or just the vertical slats? Which jig do you have?

Thanks Smoker08-

I bought the Kreg junior for this project grossly underestimating the time it took to create ALL those pockets lol. But in the end it was worth it. I'm sure if I have more projects, I'll invest in a nicer more productive model. 

So, I have I elected to smoke ribs at my neighbors house on July 4th so I will be bringing my Akorn down the street to their house. If it wasn't that, this project would have been done already> I knew I had time so I worked on it little by little each weekend. Had a few buddy's over to help with some beer and enjoyed the experience.! But Yes July 4 I will be smoking =)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Daz
      Hi all, we made a little video about cooking frozen pizza from stores. It was a fun lunch at work. When I first made the pizza ring 2 years ago there weren't many frozen pizzas in the stores, most are thick crust. but now...wow, they got their own aisle. So we dust off the pizza ring and made pizza lunch at work. 
      We tested more than 8 different brands of pizzas, and Newman's thin crust cooked best in the Akorn Kamado, California kitchen's Sicily pizza had a perfect dough/topping ratio, and even the cauliflower dough tasted good from the stone. The stone was kept around 450 - 500, anything higher may burn the dough without full cook the toppings. So on thicker dough keep the stone under 400 will be a good idea.
      Talking bout the stone, we used Rockheat we bought from Amazon, I'd recommend it. simple but smart handle design. We're working on a pizza stone with a digital thermometer built in, then you won't need the Infrared gun to read the stone temperature. I can probably program our controller to keep the stone temperature consistent. 
      https://bbqube.us/Turn-Your-Akorn-Kamado-into-an-Italian-Pizza-Oven-with-Kamado-Pizza-Ring_b_2.html
    • By R5Ryder
      Grill = Akorn.  Temp control by TipTopTemp.  No leaks.  Probes = Thermoworks Smoke and Thermopen MK4.  I've confirmed that the probes are accurate, and there was no obstructions on the pit probe.

Put on a 16lb Packer (probably a few pounds less after trimming) at midnight.  According to the Smoke's graphs, the pit temp held between 215-235 all night.

The brisket hit the stall after only 3 hours of cooking, so IT of 160 by 3AM.  When I woke up to make some pit adjustments (it jumped to around 250 at 6AM, probably when the sun came up and the TTT compensated for change in ambient temp) the  meat was already at around 180, so I'm wrapping in butcher paper, however it's going to be finished  - including resting - in under 12 hours, which just doesn't seem right.

Had I wrapped when the stall hit, that would have been at 3AM, and maybe it would have been done around 8.  How is that even possible for a 16lb packer?  Everything was timed so that it would be done (including rest) in around 16 hours, though obviously every piece of meat is different.  I would not have expected a piece to be THIS different though.

• By taylola2010
      Assembly of the akorn jr was easy. Especially with help from my 9 month old son lol  First cook on the acorn jr. Two cornish hens. I rubbed them with olive oil and cowboy rub. When they were almost finished I put a little homemade bbq sauce a friend gave me on them. They were very good. Fell off the bone. I let the grill get too hot at first, but I brought it back down to between 300-325 and watched it until it got to 165 on the probes. I do not trust the akorn jr temp gage at all. My probes were saying it was 75-100 degrees hotter than the gauge on the dome. I used the bbqube for indirect cooking. I think it was a great investment. I plan on using a pie pan or something to put liquid under my meat sometimes. 

• By JeffieBoy
      So my daughter is getting married tomorrow.  A smaller wedding (98 guests) taking place at his family farm.  The groom and his brother own a distillery business on the farm and the wedding will be held outside between the home and the business.  The meal will be catered and the boys wil have the wood fired oven going for late night pizzas.  Think they can do four or five at a shot.  At the last minute she has asked me to provide a 60-70ish pulled pork sliders.  So I snuck out of work early today, managed to find five nice pork shoulder “partial bone-in roasts” totalling about 10kg (22 lbs), raced home, rubbed them up, injected with apple juice and loaded up the Akorn.  Going to finish them tonight, pulled and pack the meat and get into bed.  Tomorrow I need to pick up the slider buns that I ordered, slice the tomatoes and onions, prepare some sauce and away we go!  Meat will be rehated in the pizza oven prior to serving.

i had done three 8 pound butts before and they were actually a better fit than these five smaller roasts.  More photos to follow.  Wish me luck!

• By Tony Chick
      I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter. I'm using lump charcoal, put a weber fire starter near the top of the heap and let it flame for a bit, then shut the lid, crack the top vent and set the PartyQ for 350. Once at temp, the thighs go on for about an hour.

Am I lighting it correctly, should I use a different temp?. I'm all for a bit of smoke taste but these have way too much