Sign in to follow this  
SandyB

Picked up an Akorn and now totally hooked!

Hi all!

I am a Brit living over here in the states for 3 years and have just picked up an Akorn on offer at Target - $230 for the new model!

I was about to go all in on a BGE when the conscience got the better of me; looking at my 8 month pregnant wife and 3 year old son - so glad I read the forums here and did a bit of shopping around to find the deal on the Akorn.

I already have the smokin' stone and have tried a couple of cooks. Still on the learning curve but getting so much great info from this site and a couple of books I bought.

Am very interested to build my own remote thermometer and maybe even an auto PID controller in the future - once i learn how to master the charcoal use and temperature control manually that is!

Just want to say thank you for all the great posts on this site -it has made the conversion to Kamado cooking a very enjoyable one.

SandyB

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By vuongp
      wow. 
      I have been looking at Alibaba and there are so many manufacturers of ceramic kamados.
      The price is 1/4 -1/3 of retail, BUT the hard part to swallow is shipping. 

Has anyone ordered things from Alibaba - large / heavy like this?

MOQ = Minimum Order Quanity = sometimes is 1 or 2 but Never to fill a container!

Anyone will expertise in this area? imports? I am near Long Beach for major international port of entry. 
      The number of containers and activity is unbelievable. 

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Patio-Camping-Stove-Ceramic-BBQ-Smoker_60510617447.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.50783e5f79wBlg
      For example the single 23" MODEL:

TQ0023 Grill Diameter: 59cm/23.2inch Grid  Diameter: 52cm/20.5inch Kamado cooking Area:2123sq cm/329sq in Net Weight:95kg Weight(with CTNS):103kg Assembled size: 128*80*120cm    Package size:75*66*92cm Container: 46PCS/20"FT; 102PCS/40"FT; 147PCS/40"HQ Sample wooden packing dimension:88*78*94cm   103KG !! (WOODEN BOX CRATE ADDS TO WEIGHT BUT NEEDED FOR SHIPPING PROTECTION)
    • By Daz
      I dug up my old files today and found this hitch rack I designed and built back in 2015. I couldn't find the installed pic but I was hauling my akorn around with it. 
      Never made it to production but if there is enough interests here I may make a few sets. I'll tell you there will be a lot of compliments at traffic stops haha.
      The floor jack will be replaced with a standalone hand truck that can be used as a floor stand when the grill is off the truck. 

• By Daz
      My wifed signed me up for BBQ Ribs at my son's baseball endgame party. After working on my own controller like nuts for 3 years she now signs me up for every potluck party we go. So I was on a quest to find out how to use minimum effort to make pro-like ribs. I figured I'll make a video for it since I haven't smoked much of ribs for a while.
      Here is a process I tested today and the ribs turned out to be just as savory and tasty as, well, finely prepped ribs. It'd add a few points with some freshly cut herbs and garlic but these ribs turned out to be just amazing. Here is the process, no overnight seasoning, no wrapping and no mopping. The grill was not touched til the end. 

1. I went straight to Costco and picked up some pre-dry-rubbed St. Louis Cut Ribs. I've used them before and they are great. For only $3.49 /lb and seasoned, this is the best bang for the buck. This way I don't have to buy them ahead of time. The ribs are good to go. The rub was called "Souvloki" rub and it got a little heat in it. 
      2. I curled up the ribs into a standing tube with two skews. This way the ribs are cooked 1~2 hours faster and even on both sides. It took three hours to cook the ribs to 210 internally.
      3. Lit the starter cube, put in the heat deflector, insert the meat probes and grill probe. Put the meat in and close the lid for the first and last time.
      4. Set the temperature controller to 270. I was just experimenting with it, It worked really well. A nice bark was formed yet the inside is savory. It pulls off the bone easily. 
      5. That was it. No wrapping no mopping no nothing. Just cruise around for 3 hours and take it straight out of the grill and eat.
      So next time if you are in a hurry or just being lazy...you know what to do.

• By AbidesTheDudeDoes
      Hi I’m new to the forum but a long time lurker. I think I scored a rare beauty in the local classifieds today. Based on other research on here I think I bought  a “new” Modern Imperial Kamodo. 

The seller said said his dad got it while in the military and never used it...

Got any tips on how to get this
      going? I’ve got an Acorn, but I think this is new territory.