While visiting Dallas, I discovered an awesome pizza place called Cane Rosso. We had a Honey Bastard Pizza with homemade mozzarella, honey habanero, prosciutto crudo and bacon marmalade. I've scoured the web for instructions to make myself. Does anyone have a recipe to share?

While visiting Dallas, I discovered an awesome pizza place called Cane Rosso. We had a Honey Bastard Pizza with homemade mozzarella, honey habanero, prosciutto crudo and bacon marmalade. I've scoured the web for instructions to make myself. Does anyone have a recipe to share?

Looks like a trade secret lol but from this post you can get the ingredients http://rockinredblog.com/tag/honey-bastard/ and this seems like a great alternative to the sauce http://hungerandthirstforlife.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/feel-bees-sting-habanero-honey.html I'm sure you could get close depends on their dough but if your after the taste

I used to work there, but I never signed an NDA! LMAO!!

The dough is a classic neopolitan style dough made with 00 flour. I can't remember the exact recipe but the Delallo pizza dough mix comes very close to the taste and texture.

Then you'll need to go to an Italian market or perhaps a specialty grocery store like whole foods to find the Hot Sopressatta. If you plan ahead, you can certainly order it online, and I'm sure if you took it to your local deli in the package, they could probably slice it up for you for a fee.

Next is the Bacon marmalade.

Cut up 8 oz of thick cut bacon into small pieces and cook until it is almost crisp but still slightly chewy. Remove the bacon from the pan and pour out fat until around a TB remains, add one whole white onion chopped and cook for about 10 minutes until soft and translucent. Add 1/8 C brown sugar and cook for about 20 min until caramelized. Add TB of coffee, 1/4 C water, and the bacon to the pan. Cook 30 minuted, stirring occasionally until thick. Add 1/2 TB quality balsalmic vinegar. Cool in fridge with lid off, cover and store until ready to use.

The habenero honey was never an exact science and was done based on how hot our peppers were on a given day. You can make your own with about 1 C of honey heated to 180° and 2-4 habeneros depending on your heat preference. Cook until your eyes start to burn from across the house.

I've found a great substitute is Kevin's Hot Honey, sold at most grocery stores.

After I left the restaurant, the one thing I missed was taking home a hot Honey Bastard at the end of the night, so I make it a few times a year if I can get my hands on the Hot Sopressatta which is the hardest to obtain ingredient.

It might not taste EXACTLY the same as you can't recreate their well seasoned brick oven brought over from Italy. Enjoy your pie! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By GrillDawg
      Decided to fire up the KJ for my first pizza cook last night. We had a bad stretch of storms come through and were under a tornado watch...but I was hungry so we made it happen

Made my own crust using John's recipe. Toppings consisted of sausage, banana peppers, spinach and a honey drizzle once I took it off the grill. Decided to label this one "Sweet Heat."

Had some trouble getting the KJ up to 900 but seemed to work fine at 750.

Overall, it was really good. Can't wait for our next pizza night!

• By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.

• By gander2112
      I got a bonus at work (a lot more than I expected, woot!) and I ordered me a Baking Steel. It is about 1/4" thick plate steel, and it is supposed to be great for making pizza. Tonight I put it to the test.

Grill: Kamado Joe Classic III
      Charcoal: Lazzari Fuel Lump Mesquite (I used to use this when I was a professional chef, cooks clean and HOT)
      Dough: Ken Forbish's Overnight Pizza, from Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast.
      Sauce: fresh Maranzano tomatoes, some EVOO, with salt, pepper, and some basil and oregano.

Topping - Pizza 1: Whole Milk Mozz, Sausage and Pepperoni
      Topping  - Pizza 2: Buffalo Mozz, Proscuitto

Cook temp 650F

The first pizza burnt a bit on the bottom. The steel cooks hotter than a pizza stone, so I am chastised. As a pro, I used to cook in a pizza oven at 625, but it was a standard pizza oven with a refractory brick baking surface. Not ruined, but not perfect.

The second pizza was perfect. After a minute or two on the grill, I added a pizza pan under it to prevent the heat of the steel burning the bottom.

Both pizza's: The crust was chewy, with great open crumb. Cheese melty and delicious, and awesome.

Dinner: Success. 

• By DerHusker
      I’ve made this pizza at least 10 times as it is my favorite. This morning I made up some pizza dough.

Around 3:00 I prepped my kamado for pizza and lite it up to preheat. Around 3:30 I brought out my dough and all my ingredients.

I applied a thin layer of BBQ sauce and some red onion.

Then some red bell pepper and cilantro.

Then some chicken breast I’d mixed up with some BBQ sauce

and finally, the cheese.

Placed it on the pizza stone in the kamado for approximately 8 minutes at 400 degrees.

Here’s the result.

As always, it was delicious.

Thanks for looking

• By MickeyTheShoe
      Hi everyone, another pizza cook on the DoJoe. This time i back hydration down to 65%. I made a mistake with the yeast, added to little (.03% vs .3%) and didn’t compensate with more time on the 1st rise. Ended up over proofing the dough on the second rise. so it was a little flabby to work with. Still not bad, still tasted pretty good. Dojoe got to 550, pies took about 8 minutes (cooked 3) Im going to try to bring it up to 650 next time, get more spring in the crust and cut the time down a bit.