Chet Punisher

spatchcock chicken, the adventure continues...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pmillen
      For one spatchcocked chicken that serves two people.  The recipe is for enough sauce to marinate and baste two servings, so multiply it by the number of servings (½ chicken per person) you are preparing.

INGREDIENTS
      1 fryer chicken per person two people

Marinade
      ½ cup soy sauce 
      ½ cup ketchup 
      ¼ cup chicken broth 
      ¼ cup pineapple juice (optional) 
      4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 
      2 Tbsp fresh ginger minced and smashed to form paste that emulsifies 
      2 Tbsp garlic minced and smashed to form paste that emulsifies 
      2 tsp dry Chinese-style mustard 
      4 tsp lime juice

DIRECTIONS
      Huli-Huli is a Hawaiian phrase that roughly translates to “turn-turn.”  This recipe is great for just about any grill and will work very well for those who like rotisserie cooking.  Some cooks insist that every time they grill chicken, especially whole or half chickens, they brine it for at least 24 hours.  If you desire to do this – I say have at it.  Sometimes I don’t know what I’m going to grill for dinner at night until I see what’s available in the grocery store meat counter at 5 o’clock, so to brine or marinate overnight is not always an option.  This is a recipe that you can cook without a long marinate. You can make it up in about 15 minutes and serve in under an hour or marinate overnight and cook the next day.

Preparation
      1.     Mix all marinade ingredients in a non-reactive container and divide in half.
      2.     Place chicken in plastic bag and add marinade, seal and place in refrigerator for 3 hours or up to overnight.
      3.     Remove from marinade and pat dry, discard used marinade.

Cook
      4.     Preheat grill to Medium High (350F – 450°F) and make sure the grates are CLEAN. 
      5.     Warm the reserved sauce on a side burner or warming rack.
      6.     Place the chicken, skin-side up, on grates to allow the bones to heat up the core for a few minutes then turn it and place it on a new section of the grates to sear the skin. 
      7.     After the chicken skin has seared, turn the bird over and baste it with sauce, allowing it to glaze a bit before turning again.
      8.     Turn it about every 5 minutes, basting it with sauce each time. 
      9.     Remove the chicken from the grill upon reaching the internal temperature of 160°F (instant read thermometer placed in the center of the breast or thickest portion of the meat on thigh – away from bone) and place it on a clean warm plate.
      10.  Baste it once more and cover it with aluminum foil and let it stand for at least 10 minutes – allowing for the internal temp of the chicken to rise approximately 10 degrees and continue cooking to your desired internal temperature.

NOTE: Use a meat thermometer while cooking to check for doneness – 180°F for whole chicken, 170°F for bone-in parts and 160°F for boneless parts.

ROTISSERIE:  This recipe can be used in preparing a whole chicken on the rotisserie.  Use the guidelines for heat settings that are appropriate to your grill, basting about every 5 minutes with sauce.

• By Brickyoung
      Hey folks,

i am considering purchasing a grill extender for my Big Joe.  I want to purchase the Kamado Joe branded expander but I am curious if anyone can suggest some good alternatives? Thanks! 
    • By Lydia
      When I was first looking into getting a Kamado, the guy at BBQ's Galore shop was listing off all the things that a Kamado could do, and the final thing he mentioned was Tandoor. SOLD! Ever since then, I've been wanting to make this dish, and the July challenge was the perfect opportunity.

Tandoori Chicken

The smell of this marinade was incredible.  I will definitely be making this again on a  regular basis. Absolutely delicious!  I don't know what else I'm going to use that massive bag of chilli powder for!! 

1 kg skinless, boneless chicken thighs
      1/2 cup plain yoghurt
      juice of one lime
      1 tablespoon garam Masala
      1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
      1/2 tablespoon kashmiri chilli powder
      1/2 tablespoon methi (fenugreek leaves)
      1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      4 cloves garlic, minced
      grated fresh ginger, approx 1/2 Tablespoon once grated
      1/2 Tablespoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon red food colouring (optional) - you will notice in the photo of the ingredients, that I bought a packet of this but decided against using it.  When I looked up what food colour 124 was and found out that it's made from synthetic coal tar ,  I chose to leave it out.  Therein is the beauty of making things from scratch - you have the power to choose what goes in and what doesn't. 

Basically, i mixed together all the marinade ingredients, and cut some deep slashes in the thighs so that the marinade could penetrate the chicken, mixed together and refrigerated for a few hours.

by the time the marinading was done, it was pretty dark outside.

I fired her up and the smell emanating from this chicken is something everyone should experience coming from their Kamado at some point in their lives.

The perfect accompaniment for the chicken is  a cucumber and herb yoghurt sauce.

Raita

1 cup plain yoghurt
      1 lebanese cucumber peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
      1 clove of garlic minced
      juice of half a lime
      a big bunch of mint and coriander finely chopped
      small grating of fresh ginger for a bit of warmth
      salt to taste

this is a pic of the amount of herbs that went in to this tasty sauce.

This was the first time ever that my husband and I ate a whole kg of chicken in one sitting!  LOL ... he said "i just can.not stop eating this". ha haaa

The next time I make this, I will take it to the next level by making my own garam masala spice blend. I can't wait because I'm sure it will be mind-blowing.

Garam Masala Spice Blend recipe by Vijaya Selvaraju

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
      2 tablespoons coriander seeds
      2 teaspoons black pepper corns
      1 star anise
      1/4 of a whole nutmeg
      10 green cardamon pods
      1 stick cinnamon

don't toast the spices. Just whiz them up in a spice grinder and store in fridge or freezer.

The money shot was supposed to include slices of cucumber but I couldn't control myself and started eating this before setting it up properly. ha haaa!!

• By Cooking in Ohio
      Has anyone replaced your old felt gasket , with the new mesh style ? If so have you tried just replacing just the dome or the bottom half , and leaving the other side with nothing ? 
      Thanks for any input you may have
    • By kamado mofo
      Hello All!!!  Grilling spatchcock chicken with John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler!!!!