bosco's Brisket

I have three cooks on my new classic since switching out my black grills for red and needed to break in the big joe.  So I went to my local butcher with ticatfan14(Rich) and picked up a couple of birds and a brisket yesterday.  I got a 13 LB brisket at 4.45 a LB which is unheard of up here in the North, and two chickens.  

Last night I did the birds and they were awesome!!!  The classic was a little cramped for 2 spatchcocked chickens, But I managed.  

Today, I got up very early as per Wilburs post about my early morning.  Last night I aggressively trimmed my brisket.  I cut the heavy fat between the flat and the point right out and used KJ sea salt and pepper rub.  Let it sit over night.

_DSC1026.jpg

At 5 am, I fired my brand spanking new big joe up and decided on a hot and fast brisket at 275. Big guy locked in at 275 and stayed there all day!!!!  

_DSC1020.jpg

_DSC1021.jpg

Used white Oak and whiskey Oak barrel chunks for smoking

I added a tray under the meat and filled it with some water to catch the drippings.  This really changes the moisture content inside the kamado.  I know it is not needed but I did it anyways!!!

I cooked fat side down for 3 hours, flipped it and 3 hours fat side up.  

Pulled it, and wrapped it in butchers paper and spritzed with a little worcestershire sauce and water prior to wrapping.  IT at this time was 185

_DSC1032.jpg

Put it back on the grill for about 2 hours and it was probe tender with an IT of 205

Pulled it and wrapped it in a towel and placed it in a cooler for 2 hours until dinner

While that was resting, I added some wings and asparagus to the big joe.  I did half with plowboys bovine bold and the other half with Oakridge Habanero Death Dust.

_DSC1033.jpg

here is the brisket after letting it rest for two hours.  It was super juicy and sticky.  Not a super dark bark, but I loved the texture.  It pulled apart easily like it is suppose to and the fat rendered perfectly after resting.  

_DSC1034.jpg

_DSC1035.jpg

This brisket was so tender and juicy compared to my first brisket.  I was blown away with how good it tastes with just salt and pepper!!!!

sliced up, I did thicker cuts for everyone.  I have to say..... I have cooked a lot of things on the kamado over the past year and change, but honestly this was the best cook I have done to date.  

_DSC1042.jpg

No plated shots but a great BBQ to end the weekend with my family.  My parents and my inlaws as well as my brother in law and his family were over!!!!   

I have to say, there is nothing better than seeing peoples reactions to BBQ when they haven't really had BBQ before.  It makes this very long long day worth every moment!!!

Thanks for reading!!

thanks guys.  I really feel good about this one!!!

Brisket is the cook that really says a lot about your cooking skills.  It was really important to nail this one today.  My dad said that he is so impressed with my cooks lately, and that this brisket was the best beef he has ever eaten!!!

very cool day!!

thanks guys.  I really feel good about this one!!!

Brisket is the cook that really says a lot about your cooking skills.  It was really important to nail this one today.  My dad said that he is so impressed with my cooks lately, and that this brisket was the best beef he has ever eaten!!!

very cool day!!

Doesn't get any better than this right here!