Thoughts on purchasing a display model

Just finished assembling my new AKORN! Pretty impressed with how well it was packed and how easily it went together. Now it's time for me to start using this site for grilling/smoking recipes.

I plan on seasoning it tomorrow and coming up with something to cook up this weekend. I still need to buy some of the accessories. I need to get the weber grate and some kind of diffuser. Think I am going to go with a metal pizza pan to start with before investing in a pizza stone.

Think I am going to try steak first. It's been a while since I had a good grilled steak. I did ribs on Labor day using a washing machine tub fire pit with a grate on top and a lid I had from an old gas grill. That's what prompted me to purchase the AKORN. The ribs came out OK but it was a huge chore to keep the temperature steady. Constantly adding wood and then having to spray water when it got to hot. I am sure my new smoker will be much less work, allowing me to really enjoy the process.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to using this board for future reference.

Just finished assembling my new AKORN! Pretty impressed with how well it was packed and how easily it went together. Now it's time for me to start using this site for grilling/smoking recipes.

I plan on seasoning it tomorrow and coming up with something to cook up this weekend. I still need to buy some of the accessories. I need to get the weber grate and some kind of diffuser. Think I am going to go with a metal pizza pan to start with before investing in a pizza stone.

Think I am going to try steak first. It's been a while since I had a good grilled steak. I did ribs on Labor day using a washing machine tub fire pit with a grate on top and a lid I had from an old gas grill. That's what prompted me to purchase the AKORN. The ribs came out OK but it was a huge chore to keep the temperature steady. Constantly adding wood and then having to spray water when it got to hot. I am sure my new smoker will be much less work, allowing me to really enjoy the process.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to using this board for future reference.

There are times I do wonder. John came up with the Webber grate idea. With this one can direct grill with the coal directly under the cast iron grate, wrap it in half in foil and get an indirect, or put your choice of size diffuser on it , or a drip pan of your choice. This ads sooooo much adaptability to this grill.

Yeah, I think the Weber grate setup may be superior to CG's own Smokin' Stone, simply because you can configure it how you want, like having only one side blocked for 2-zone cooking.

I agree and the smoking stone can break. Mine is glued back together with JB Weld. It also may not take well to have a pan of water on it.

I bought a King Griller display model from Orschelns Farm & Home last month $225. It ihas older alum top vent, missing manual & couple correct bolts, some rust on cooking grate (but was inside display). I called Char-Griller & received no charge correct bolts and manual. I cleaned and cured the cast grill, and sealed air leaks w/rtv, bought a weber difuser rack and have slow kooked up a storm. Nothing but good times since & I'm satisfied. All other local retailers asking 295 or above here.

I bought a King Griller display model from Orschelns Farm & Home last month $225. It ihas older alum top vent, missing manual & couple correct bolts, some rust on cooking grate (but was inside display). I called Char-Griller & received no charge correct bolts and manual. I cleaned and cured the cast grill, and sealed air leaks w/rtv, bought a weber difuser rack and have slow kooked up a storm. Nothing but good times since & I'm satisfied. All other local retailers asking 295 or above here.

I sent Char-Griller and email requesting the heavier duty cast metal damper and they mailed one along with the "O" ring to me. You might want to try that, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't make a huge difference.

Once you use the cooker a few times, the stainless damper, although thinner metal, it gets sufficiently gunked up and seals nicely.

I am seasoning as we speak. Got a 1 lber t-bone to throw on later. So far I have got the temps up to a little above 600. The Char Griller thermo is way off, at least 85 degrees. I am using a digital pen style taylor that I tested with ice water got a steady 31.9 reading. I needed something to at least test the meat and it was only $8 at Lowes. Plan on upgrading the thermo in the very near future.

Back to the grill and a beer.