Starting classic b for long smoke?

luvysbbq

If most of the charcoal is small to medium size chunks you can start just one good size spot near the middle.

If most pieces are large then I would light at least two spots one on each side opposite each other.  Larger pieces have a harder time lighting each other, especially if it's good dense charcoal.

If 250-275 is your goal then honestly you can light the entire pile all around, just open the bottom vent 100% wide as it will go, then open the top vent to about 0.8 (just before the 1) so just cracked slightly.

Do this from the start and it should reach over 200 to 220 in about 45 minutes or less, you "may" have to slightly bump it to 0.9 to get it to 250. Fine tune it to your particular charcoal.

Best to get to temp slowly that way it never gets outa control and it stabilizes nicely.

I think the only time you might have a slight problem and need to light a single small area and maybe even mess with the bottom vent at all is when you are trying to maintain under 200 degrees, especially something like say 140-150 degrees for like 15+ hours for smoking Jalapenos to make Chipotle peppers, that's a bit tricky.

I would light it with either a MAPP torch or a Weed Torch.

Once I hit 200, do I change the bottom to one as well?

post-6391-0-46791900-1436572622_thumb.jppost-6391-0-91556600-1436572595_thumb.jp

Here are the vent settings I use for 250.

luvysbbq - no need to rake your coals, put in a water pan, a sand pan, just leave it the heck alone!

I would urge you in the strongest possible terms, before you cook so much as a hot dog, to spend time and get to know your Vision Kamado. Know what vent settings yield what temperatures. These vent settings will never change for the entire time you have your Vision. Never. And these vent settings are specific to your Vision Kamado.

You need to be able to hit the following temps without fail: 225, 250, 275, 300, 325, 350, 375, 400, 425, 450, 500, and 600, light a single spot in a fire bowl FULL of lump. Hit 225 and hold it for 30 minutes. Then open your top vent a little more and hit 250. Hold that for 30 minutes. Make note of the vent settings for a specific temp and note how your Vision responds to changes in vent settings. Within a give temp range, i.e. 200-300, your bottom vent will not change. All changes come from adjustments to your top vent. To hit temps in the 300-400 range, open your bottom vent a bit more and control temps within that range using your top vent.

At the end of marching up the temp scale and noting your vent settings and seeing your Vision Kamado respond to changes in vent settings, you'll be sitting at 600. Reward yourself for a job well done! Sear some steaks and enjoy a great dinner.

Best of luck!

Low temp at around 200 I'll close the top to a sliver and bottom to 1/2 or a little less

Alright guys, I'm 1.5 hours into cook and up to 291. I was hoping to stay at 250. I have the top just barely open and the bottom down to one air hole showing. I only lit one piece of charcoal at the beginning and placed in the middle of the volcano. It took about 45 minutes to get up to 210. I had the top on .8 and bottom wide open until 210. I closed it off to what I have now and the temp still wants to rise? What I have now is top vent barely open! Other than shutting everything down, not sure what is left to do? Of cipourse, shutting it down may kill the flame out all together?

Thanks, Mike

If most of the charcoal is small to medium size chunks you can start just one good size spot near the middle.

If most pieces are large then I would light at least two spots one on each side opposite each other.  Larger pieces have a harder time lighting each other, especially if it's good dense charcoal.

If 250-275 is your goal then honestly you can light the entire pile all around, just open the bottom vent 100% wide as it will go, then open the top vent to about 0.8 (just before the 1) so just cracked slightly.

Do this from the start and it should reach over 200 to 220 in about 45 minutes or less, you "may" have to slightly bump it to 0.9 to get it to 250. Fine tune it to your particular charcoal.

Best to get to temp slowly that way it never gets outa control and it stabilizes nicely.

I think the only time you might have a slight problem and need to light a single small area and maybe even mess with the bottom vent at all is when you are trying to maintain under 200 degrees, especially something like say 140-150 degrees for like 15+ hours for smoking Jalapenos to make Chipotle peppers, that's a bit tricky.

attachicon.gif2014-11-15 16.30.08.jpgattachicon.gif2014-11-15 16.28.45.jpg

Here are the vent settings I use for 250.

That is what I have now and it has climbed to 291? I made these changes when it hit 225. Thank you

If most pieces are large then I would light at least two spots one on each side opposite each other. Larger pieces have a harder time lighting each other, especially if it's good dense charcoal.

Nope, for the most part you can just leave the bottom vent wide open.

I very rarely ever touch mine except to shut it down

Do you have to rake it around at some point during the cook?

I have never and dont see any point where i would need too. I have done a 9+ hour cook and you would be shocked at how little lump was used.

Fill the bowl as much as possible then lite it and forget about it.

What happened to you is common ,people under estimate how hot the fire box is ,and how much heat that will radiate off of it, and will actually think its leaking. Its too late for this time, but the next time ,light it with what ever method you choose 8-10 min only ,load in your smoke wood, water pan, diff user,food ,then close lid and set vents as landscaper pictured for you , don't wait for it to get close to adjust. It will take 45 min at least for it to reach the 225 area. Try to find that you tube video of the bbq guys cooking the brisket ,and you will see how much they have lit.      

Hey guys, this will be my last update. I closed the bottom vent down to a half to 2/3 hole open and just probably .2 to .3 on the top vent. My temp before opening last time was 291. I opened and sprayed down with Apple juice, temp came down and has settled 262-264 for about the last hour. I'll update tomorrow morning how it did over night. The Kamado is reminding me of my UDS, a small adjustment can take 20-30 minutes before you see results consistent.

Thank you all again, Mike

Really you are right in the range any way ,if you ever watch the bbq competitions, they are at 240-275 ,and that is where I run at also , I am cooking a pork butt now ,the grill is at 240 and the maverick is at 250 ,my maverick is always been off 10 . My grill is set just like the picture of landscapers ,however mine has a mesh screen vs the perforated steel so I am letting in slightly more air on the bottom.  As far as what you said above ,again do to the stored up heat in the ceramic ,trying to come down with the ceramic stabalized it will take a least 30 min to see a 50 degree difference . Think about when you totally shut it off no air. It takes about 1 hour to drop 100 degrees .     

Flyingscot - i would be willing to bet it is NOT your maverick that's off by 10°! Have you dropped the Maverick probe or gotten it wet? Rather, it's your dome, or grill, thermometer that's off. Electronic thermometers are exceedingly accurate. Dome thermometers are are really nothing more than paperweights! :lol:

Hey guys, I posted pics under the cooking with fire section. I updated the long cook with pictures and a few questions! I need to work on keeping temp lower. Burned the out part of my butts. Thank you again.

I use a Weber chimney starter. I have found that letting the chimney cook for 7-8 minutes MAXIMUM gets about 50-60% of the lump going good.  Any longer and you get too much of the lump going and it is much harder to hold the temps below 275.  Top dial at 1 and smoke dial at 2.  Good luck!

Kamado Master,

I too find that my Maverick does vary with the grill.  I also noticed that it does seem to vary depending on where the probe is placed within the grill.  I have seen differences as much as 75 degrees!  There is definitely a variation.  So, my question is, is there an ideal location for the probe, especially when using the diffuser?  Top rack, bottom rack, middle... Can the probe be touching the rack?