Hi everyone! I'm a new kamado owner from Massachusetts. I've been lurking for about a week and I've found this forum very helpful. I'm glad it exists, because I knew literally nothing about kamados before I got one.

How is this, you ask? Well, my wife and I just purchased our first home. For the last few summers I've been operating a cheapo mini kettle grill on the balcony of the apartment we were renting. It was enough to cook up chicken for me and veggies for her and we were pretty happy with it. But when we moved and had a nice patio and backyard to enjoy, I decided it was time to step up to a real grill. And by that, I really just meant a larger weber kettle. But with all the expense of moving and buying all the lovely stuff a new homeowner needs (mowers, weed whackers, paint, oh my the list just goes on and on and on...) I figured something frivolous like a grill wasn't really in the budget this year. But that patio was mocking me, it begged to be enjoyed. So when my dad asked me what I needed for the house in the way of a housewarming gift, I told him a grill would be great. Again, still only expecting a weber kettle like the one we'd always had when I was growing up.

Well, lo and behold, he rolls up to my new house for the first time with a ceramic monstrosity in the back of his little sedan! I'm totally blown away as we unload it, it's MUCH nicer than anything I expected. It's a Vision Professional S series grill. I'd seen the Big Green Egg in stores and whatnot, but not having the space or funds for it, never really researched them. So I was absolutely clueless when I got the thing. 

My first thought, as a dedicated home pizza maker, was "How hot can I get this sucker?" I've always dreamed of having an outdoor wood fired pizza oven. So the first Friday that I had it, I opened up all the vents to full blast and let her rip. I'm not sure how hot it got, but it definitely burned off most of the gasket. Oops! I've since ordered a replacement Nomex gasket, which should be delivered today. Since then I've mainly grilled things in the 350-400 degree range, because there's just no way to keep the temperature lower without a gasket. I'm excited to try a low temperature chicken cook though, hopefully this Saturday or Sunday. And I already have designs on cooking the brisket for passover next year...

Thanks for reading, I look forward to learning how to use this awesome grill and reading all about your tips, tricks and especially delicious cooks while I do.

What a sweet gift!!! Welcome to the insanely wonderful world of kamado cooking!! Many of us here started with kettles...and to be honest, they are one of the best "cookers" ever invented. But once you have experienced kamado cooking, and the amazing versatility that it offers, not to mention the FLAVOR... for the average backyard cook, it's all over. [emoji41]

Congratulations and welcome. Your dad just gave you the best gift (besides your life) that you'll ever get from him. This will last sooooo long and bring soooooooo many great memories you can't imagine. I would get a grid thermo so you don't blow out your gasket again. A Maverick (or knockoff) ET-732, ET-733, iGrill, or thermo works have these. If you get the 2 probe units 1 will be for the grid and the other for 1 hunk of meat. That way you can keep the temps low enough to not fry that gasket. The easiest first cook that is kosher is a spatchcock chicken. They can handle just about any temp and still turn out great. As for a brisket I would try one as soon as you are comfortable with maintaining a low temp for 15+ hours before the big day later this year. Normally folks accomplish this by doing some pork butts but that isn't kosher so you could try low and slow a turkey. If you do this don't stuff the bird. Another nice piece to try is a Tri-Tip. These are cooked at around 350F but they taste wonderful.

Good luck, post pictures, and ask questions, we'll gladly assist you in anyway we can. If I was closer I would even come over and help you eat it :rofl: .