Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

I need a Lawn Mower

I need some advice on a new lawn mower... here's what I'm looking for:

Walk-Behind

NO self propulsion

Rear Bagger

Mulching option

I'd like to have something good quality that will last a while. I have looked at several that range in price between $199 and $250. Anything I have seen above $250 is self propelled and I'd really rather avoid having that. I'd be willing to spend more than $250 on a non-self propelled model if it was a great quality mower.

Any suggestions?

After owning a John Deere JS-45 for 3 years I can offer that it is a quality mower that just works.

-Front wheels swivel or lock straight making it very easy to get around trees, in tight spots etc.

-It is a mulcher, bagger or side discharge and works great as a leaf bagger.

-Made in the USA (John Deere will not sell a product or license it's name to a product that isn't made in the USA.)

-This is a rebranded Snapper (John Deere doesn't make small equipment) so I could suggest snapper also.

-this model is propelled and I'm not sure your reason for not wanting one (I can think of several valid reasons). I don't think all John Deere are self propelled, this one won't drag yuo around, it automatically moves at the speed you want - crawl to run - if you want to push your mower around to get that extra exercise it obviously won't work.

I hear that Honda are reliable but no first hand experience. I have never had luck with the MTD's, Bolens etc of the world.

It's tough to go wrong with a Snapper,Toro,JD or Lawnboy. I have had very good success with JD and Lawnboy. Craigs List can be a good source for a decent buy but might not be worth your time looking at and testing each one. I found that just changing the oil, air filter and spark plug every mowing season and keeping them generally clean, they last for many years. I have had less success with Cub Cadet and other MTD products.

Snapper or John Deere, no question, my little brother ran my dads 15 year old snapper out of oil and he got a full summer out of it before it locked up.

My dad and I have JD now and love em, although neither of us would by a tractor from them, but that's just a different conversation altogether.

I also have a JD JS-45 for the last 3 years and have been happy with it. Like Philpom mentioned it's only self propelled to your walking speed. It's a really nice feature. It only moves as fast as you want to walk, allowing you to set the pace. Sometimes I powerwalk other times I just moozy around. The front swivel wheels is also something I would look for on a mower. I would look at Homedepot and Lowes for ones that are returned and save at least $100 like I did. I hope this helps!

Well, my shopping for a lawnmower got cut short. I pulled the old murray out of the shed this afternoon and started cutting. TWO... yes BOTH of the front wheels decided to break off at the same time.

I went to Lowes and spent $250 on a Troybilt. It's not self propelled, has a rear bagger and the oversized rear wheels. It also has a Honda motor that is a lot quieter than the old Murray piece of crap. So I finished cutting the grass and will get rid of the old clunker somewhere...

+1 on the honda enigine troy built..i'm on the 4 season and still pleased..change the oil and filter put some gas in and this thing runs like new..one thing i found was how much better this thing runs on non ethonol ( sp ?)..we can get 93 octane non ethonol and it's woth the extra $$ in small engines ( mower, trimmer , chainsaw ) and boat engines. i use stabol in the gas and with the non ethonol..i've had no problems with gummed up carbs.

One word on John Deere mower not all John Deere mowers are equal. With the riding John Deeres what you find at the big box stores are not of the same quality you find at the "John Deere" dealer. Not saying the ones from lowes and Home Depot are not good but if they do break and you take them to a Certified John Deere dealer and service center you may get the run around. Keep that in mind if you do buy a John Deere push I would buy from somewhere that is also a certified service so come break down time if it happens you will get better service. Yeah Honda motors all the way you can't beat them with a stick.

Buy American. John Deere is one of few companies that won't license their name to a product that isn't made in the USA. If you doubt me, look in your local walmart at the kids electric cars. If it is a for, dodge, jeep or other product it is made on another planet. If it has the Deere name on it is it made in USA.

My youngest son drives a gator and I mow with a Deere.

i have a Troy Built w/ a honda engine...bullet proof...5 yrs old..one pull to start..got it at home depo..it's funny..i was busting my a## pushing that thing thru zochya ( sp ?) grass w/ both the temp and humity around 90 and i thought about your post about buying that stuff..it was here when we bought the house..every winter it looks dead brown..every spring it comes back with a vengence..stuff is super thick..like a mat..soft to walk on..little or no weeds where it grows..a pain in the a## to cut..it's so thick..

Not all John Deere mowers are equal. Buy a cheap John Deere sold at Lowes and take it to a certified non big box retailer dealer and see what they tell you. Yes true there are all made in the USA but John Deere push mowers have been out sourced to Briggs so that Troy Built right beside it with a Briggs motor is just as good. I'd much rather have a Honda motor than a Briggs anyway. When it comes to small motors Honda has it figured out!!!