Thinking of buying, some questions

frocco

Well,

I see a sale today for 100.00 off the vision.

Was going to get the akorn, but for 200.00 more I can get a vision.

1. Is it worth 200.00 more?

2. How will the ceramic hold up? Can I use in winter or will it crack?

3. How is Customer Service, I read some negatives on Home Depot site.

4. Is there really a difference in taste over say a weber kettle?

5. I see problems with gasket, is this still true with newer visions?

6. Would you buy again?

7. Does the ceramic ever crack? If so will CS stand behind it?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

Easily worth $200 more

I seriously doubt you would have problems in the winter, I never have.

I suppose it's possible if you leave it out without the cover and you get a freezing rain and the temp drops to below zero and you heat it up super fast.

Customer service for me has been outstanding.

Taste? Kinda depends, charcoal is charcoal for a fast cook steak.

However you won't touch the taste, flavor, tenderness of a Pork Butt smoked for 10+ hours in a kamado in any Weber.

Gasket problems depend on if you cook lots of pizza, if you do you will replace the felt gasket with Nomex within a year and more than likely Vision will pay part of the replacement cost. The are easy to replace and can usually find them for around $20.

I would definitely buy again.

My firebox cracked which is common for any Kamado regardless of brand.

I emailed Vision got a response in about 5 minutes, and a new fire bowl with tracking numbers in the mail within 2 hours.

Thanks for the info.

how long will they warranty the firebox? (if it keeps cracking)

Will they send Nomex, or do I buy it elsewhere?

Do you have or know anybody that has a chargriller akorn that can compare?

Regards,

Frank

After shopping and comparing all the brands in my local area, I chose the Vision. Ordered from Home Depot and had it delivered to my door in three days free of charge. It was available from my local but I do not own a vehicle capable of transporting the heavy bugger. Ordered over the phone and applied for the Home Depot credit card with the intent of paying it off within the six months no interest period. Received the 10% discount without using the card and was given an extra 5% off for Father's Day.

Which brand you choose is up to the individual and all of them will provide exceptional results but the Vision seemed the best value to me with all the extras--shipping, cover, stand, ash drawer and extra tier grate--included.

If you want to read some more reviews ,type in vision grill reviews in your browser and look for costco , they no longer carry the grill but there is a lot of reviews to read . I always read the bad first, there you can see if there is a specific problem ,or just unhappy people ,that you will never make happy even if you gave it to them for free. After reading the reviews I made the choice to buy one. (Remember these are older reviews and changes have been made).   I have the classic b version. from costco. The life expectancy is 10 + years. As far as winter I have used mine at 5 above 0 Fahrenheit ,that is as cold as I want to go.  As far as taste over the webber ,if you are currently using lump charcoal in the webber ,there wont be to much difference ,you will notice a little more moist end result . If you keep your grill under 500 the gaskets will last a long time. There customer service is great, no company will ever be able to make everyone happy . Yes I would buy again. With any ceramic grill no matter what brand ,its possible to have one crack ,and you can see that right here reading the other sections ,but yes if it happens they will stand behind there product. I would say if you have the funds available,I would go for it ,there has been a few on here that have had the acron and switched to ceramic.        

Go with the ceramic -- you won't be disappointed!  Cooking in the ceramic is more rewarding, a bit easier I think, &, though this is very subjective, we & our guests think the food tastes a touch better -- though honestly, that probably just because the cook has gotten better in the process. 

The Akorn only has the advantage of:

1)  lower price

2)  light weight / moveable

3)  uses less fuel

I only use the Akorn for large crowd (1x/year) & for a couple very specialized smoke/cooks that I do that could be done in the Primo, just have not taken the time to experiment with it. 

I researched these for two years and went with the vision just a couple weeks ago. From what I've read, there are great kamados that are more expensive, but for the price of the vision.....it holds its own against several kamados that are twice the cost. I've only had three cooks on mine, two being burgers and the burgers were awesome. I'm still learning, but I can tell once I have the temp control down pat it will surpass my expectations!

Edited by luvysbbq

I researched these for two years and went with the vision just a couple weeks ago. From what I've read, there are great kamados that are more expensive, but for the price of the vision.....it holds its own against several kamados that are twice the cost. I've only had three cooks on mine, two being burgers and the burgers were awesome. I'm still learning, but I can tell once I have the temp control down pat it will surpass my expectations!

For what it's worth. I have a vision pro c and a BigJoe. The KJBJ is more stable and I attribute this to the starter port on the vision.

For what it's worth. I have a vision pro c and a BigJoe. The KJBJ is more stable and I attribute this to the starter port on the vision.

Which is why the Vision Classic B is the better choice.

Go with the ceramic -- you won't be disappointed!  Cooking in the ceramic is more rewarding, a bit easier I think, &, though this is very subjective, we & our guests think the food tastes a touch better -- though honestly, that probably just because the cook has gotten better in the process. 

1)  lower price

3)  uses less fuel

I only use the Akorn for large crowd (1x/year) & for a couple very specialized smoke/cooks that I do that could be done in the Primo, just have not taken the time to experiment with it. 

Fixed :

1)  lower price

3)  uses less fuel

4) No cracking of the firebox

5) can be used in ANY outside temparature (freezing cold snow or hot)

6) Easier to bring down temps if you overshoot

7) Heaps more portable than a ceramic

8) Heaps easier to clean ash out of

Go with the ceramic -- you won't be disappointed! Cooking in the ceramic is more rewarding, a bit easier I think, &, though this is very subjective, we & our guests think the food tastes a touch better -- though honestly, that probably just because the cook has gotten better in the process.

1) lower price

2) light weight / moveable

3) uses less fuel

Fixed :

1) lower price

3) uses less fuel

2 & 7 are the same thing.

5 I will disagree with. I've cooked on my vision when it was -40 outside.

8 I will disagree with. One of the reasons I went with KJ was for the ash drawer. I also have a vision pro c which has an ash drawer as well.

Depending on climate. Rust is a real concern for the Akorn.

Go with the ceramic -- you won't be disappointed! Cooking in the ceramic is more rewarding, a bit easier I think, &, though this is very subjective, we & our guests think the food tastes a touch better -- though honestly, that probably just because the cook has gotten better in the process.

1) lower price

3) uses less fuel

Fixed :

1) lower price

3) uses less fuel

2 & 7 are the same thing.

5 I will disagree with. I've cooked on my vision when it was -40 outside.

8 I will disagree with. One of the reasons I went with KJ was for the ash drawer. I also have a vision pro c which has an ash drawer as well.

Depending on climate. Rust is a real concern for the Akorn.

1) lower price

3) uses less fuel

5) was just refering to a post up the top which said : As far as winter I have used mine at 5 above 0 Fahrenheit ,that is as cold as I want to go

8) you undo two clips on the akorn and the whole ash pan comes off for emptying. IMO heaps easier than scraping out ash with an ash tool. (but just my opinion again)

As far as rust is concerned, im pretty sure 99% of (any brand) kamado owners would keep them covered to protect teir investment. If you live close to the beach i would not buy an akorn, even though you could buy 2 akorns for the price of a vision.

I'd buy a KK if i had the money but i dont. I just think the akorns have so much value.

8) you undo two clips on the akorn and the whole ash pan comes off for emptying. IMO heaps easier than scraping out ash with an ash tool. (but just my opinion again)

True, but the KJ and as KD mentions the Vision Pro both have ash trays. 

I use my ash tool to stir the old lump in the firebox, but I never have to use the ash tool to scrape out ash, because the tray in the KJ takes care of it. And heck, when my Kick Ash Basket arrives, I might not have any use for the ash tool!

As it applies to the debate of Akorn vs. Vision, I think both are fine cookers. The main concern I would have with Akorn is the long-term durability of a metal cooker. If you're buying an Akorn, depending on climate, you know that it'll eventually need to be replaced. And in some climates, that might be within 2-3 years. With a ceramic cooker, that's not really an issue. Ceramic won't rust. When I bought the KJ, I specifically told my wife that it was a 20+ year grill. And that's conservative. They old line with ceramic kamados is "ask your kids what color they like, because you'll be putting this cooker in your will".

Now, an Akorn vs some of the high-dollar ceramic cookers like KJ, BGE, and Primo, you could replace your Akorn 3 times for the entry cost of one of the other cookers (unless you get it on sale / a good deal). So I see the draw of the Akorn in that case. Compared to a $500 Vision, though, the cost argument of the Akorn isn't as strong. 

Again, I think the Akorn is a fine cooker. There's a part of me that says if I want to buy a second grill to accompany my Big Joe (and I do), that perhaps I should just go the economy route and pick up an Akorn instead of a Joe Jr. After all, in SoCal it will be less rust-prone than most of the rest of the country. The biggest argument I have against an Akorn is that it won't match my KJ ;-)

But if I had the choice between a $299 Akorn and a $499 Vision, I think the $499 Vision is a better value. That's not a criticism of the Akorn. It's just an acknowledgement that the ceramic is a cooker that should last a lifetime, Vision stands behind their warranty, and it's a case of a little higher entry price justifying itself.

Vision grill I bought for $535 total over 3 years ago.

As long as Vision exist as a company then I have a LIFETIME grill.

Akorn has a 1 year warranty after that if anything happens to it then lay on its side and smash it flat and buy a new one.

For usually around $300.

I used to buy a Brinkman Smoke and Grill about every 3 years for $40.

I probably wasted about $300 on those things over the years.

If I had bought a Kamado 25 years ago I would still have it today.

Visions are the best deal around.

The only thing an Akorn has over a ceramic

is you can throw it in a truck and carry it elsewhere, something I have never done in 40 years of BBQing and never will, I have portable grills for that.

I am wondering if I should just buy a cheap charcoal grill like char-broil kettleman or weber kettle to see how much I will grill before spending 550.00 on the vision. I can see myself doing hot dogs and hamburgs and since I have not grilled in years, not sure if I would attempt a brisket.

I may try ribs also.

Just hate to blow 150 to 200 dollars and then decide I would have liked to have the vision.

Vision right now is 650.00 - 100.00 off.

Weber mater touch is 200.00 or performer deluxe is 400.00

char-broil kettleman tru-infrared is 129.00 

I went yesterday and looked at the vision, it sure looks nice.

It came with pizza stone, cover and electric starter (not sure I like that)

I cannot afford to have two grills.