Pit Boss kamado

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one a couple of months ago.  I was considering buying one, hadn't done a lot of research into it, but saw it at Costco, and being the impulsive sort, I just bought it.  I figured it it sucked, I could always save up a few more bucks and buy a Primo, and then I'd have a primary and a backup.  Can't have too many grills, I say.  I immediately bought a heat deflector from the Pit Boss website -- I was a bit bummed that they didn't just throw that in with the package because if you've got a kamado, you need a heat deflector to make full use -- but I suppose they have to increase profit margin somehow.

Anyway, here's what I've noticed so far:  What others have said about the nuts and screws is true.  They loosen up. I check them before I cook, and after it cools down, and tighten as necessary.  They seem to have settled in for now, though, and I haven't had to do much lately.  Also, as others have said, the hinge isn't the greatest, and can get hung up a bit if the bolts aren't tightened up just right.  This can cause a gap between the lid and the base, but once everything is adjusted right, it closes up well.  I haven't had an issue with leakage -- I can close the vents and the fire goes out pretty quickly. The cooking grates are OK -- they don't fit quite right when using the heat deflector but I can make them work.  The accessory choices suck -- you can get the heat deflector and that's it.  But so far, that's all I've needed, and I can get creative if I need to do other things.  The thermometer in the lid is waaaay off, but I never trust the built-ins anyway, and use my own.

So far I've cooked pork ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, salmon, a whole chicken, a couple of rib roasts, steaks, hamburgers, a peach cobbler, some baked potatoes, and probably some other stuff that I've forgotten.  Everything except for the brisket came out excellent, but I seem to screw up brisket every time I cook it, so there's that.  Maybe some of you kind folks can set me straight on how to do it right.

It gets very hot if needed and holds the temperature low and steady if needed as well, just like it's supposed to.  For now, I'm generally satisfied with it. I may still save up and buy the Primo, but I'd say that this has about 75% of what the Primo has, but for a third the price -- not a bad deal.

What others have said about the nuts and screws is true. They loosen up. I check them before I cook, and after it cools down, and tighten as necessary. They seem to have settled in for now, though, and I haven't had to do much lately. Also, as others have said, the hinge isn't the greatest, and can get hung up a bit if the bolts aren't tightened up just right

Which nuts and bolts are becoming loose?

I have only had issues with a couple of shelf bolts.

I must say I feel for the money this must be up there with the best value units available for size and build quality. I havent cooked on BGE or KJ but I have seen both and cant see what I would be getting for the extra money.

The unit comes well packaged and with clear instructions to build. It is bloody heavy I was only just able to lift it onto the stand by myself (and im a fairly big bloke)

The shelf bolt issue I fixed wedging a thin flat head screwdriver onto the side of the threads as I was tightening the nuts.

The only real disadvantage I have found is the supply of accesories especially in the UK.

That said I picked up a Kamado Joe Pizza stone for £19

and bought two half round kiln shelves for £22 (16.5 inch and they fit perfect, also give direct and indirect cooking as an option. (I used this for my first steak and it was the best I have ever tasted)

Pizzas are a breeze cant comment on the validity of the temp guage as I havent yet bought a dual probe for the oven but will.

for the air issue which many have reported. the bottom vent is quite lose and many have used gasket to fix. For me it was more simple I simply pushed a ice lolly stick (cut to length) vertically in front of the sliding door and it now seals great.

One question if I may

when cooking with smoke if I sut the very on the top I still get some smoke (not loads) from around the vent and from the holes themselves does anyone have a fix for this or is it not an issue.

For anyone new Lump is a key factor I tried a cheap bag and it will not reach the heat for pizza before it is nearly burned out as the coals are too small plus it doesnt allow the good air cflow of large chunks..Restaurant grade and the issue goes away.

Good luck to all and I hope this may help anyone considering this unit.

Finally I have also made my own hanger for the deflector for low and slow quite simple with a bit of steel and a welder..

I must say I feel for the money this must be up there with the best value units available for size and build quality. I havent cooked on BGE or KJ but I have seen both and cant see what I would be getting for the extra money.

The unit comes well packaged and with clear instructions to build. It is bloody heavy I was only just able to lift it onto the stand by myself (and im a fairly big bloke)

The shelf bolt issue I fixed wedging a thin flat head screwdriver onto the side of the threads as I was tightening the nuts.

The only real disadvantage I have found is the supply of accesories especially in the UK.

and bought two half round kiln shelves for £22 (16.5 inch and they fit perfect, also give direct and indirect cooking as an option. (I used this for my first steak and it was the best I have ever tasted)

Pizzas are a breeze cant comment on the validity of the temp guage as I havent yet bought a dual probe for the oven but will.

for the air issue which many have reported. the bottom vent is quite lose and many have used gasket to fix. For me it was more simple I simply pushed a ice lolly stick (cut to length) vertically in front of the sliding door and it now seals great.

One question if I may

when cooking with smoke if I sut the very on the top I still get some smoke (not loads) from around the vent and from the holes themselves does anyone have a fix for this or is it not an issue.

For anyone new Lump is a key factor I tried a cheap bag and it will not reach the heat for pizza before it is nearly burned out as the coals are too small plus it doesnt allow the good air cflow of large chunks..Restaurant grade and the issue goes away.

Finally I have also made my own hanger for the deflector for low and slow quite simple with a bit of steel and a welder..

If your lump stops burning when you close your vents then don't worry about the little bit of smoke coming out of the top. A few cooks and that will stop. Residue will fill in any tiny gaps.

What others have said about the nuts and screws is true. They loosen up. I check them before I cook, and after it cools down, and tighten as necessary. They seem to have settled in for now, though, and I haven't had to do much lately. Also, as others have said, the hinge isn't the greatest, and can get hung up a bit if the bolts aren't tightened up just right

Which nuts and bolts are becoming loose?

On mine, just about all of them.  Shelves, handle and hinge.

One question if I may

Regarding the bottom vent... If you look closely, there are some tabs on the plate that can be bent out to help tighten up the seal.  I don't recall that the tabs are mentioned in the assembly manual, but they're there.

howdy,  here is some added information on the pit boss.

It's exported by Auplex in China.  Auplex makes them but because of volume, my hunch is, they don't make them all.  On the 24, sold at costco, the ID of the fire ring is approx. 18.25".  ID of the cooker at the top of the fire bowl is approx. 21.5"   24 Grid diameter is actually 20.75"   BGE, KJOE and Vision products won't fit these diameters.  

Danson has been in kamados for about three years.  Costco is their first real entry into the USA.  Louisiana Grills is the brand name, Danson, in Canada, is the parent company.   Danson offers two version on their Kamados.  First is the big box model, like Costco's. Second is a retailer version.  Same design and ceramics, only real difference is retailer version comes with stainless hardware and more money.   They have three or four kamado sizes, but not sure what is available.  Their little 13" looks cool and good price point.   One issue is Danson uses the Auplex dimensions for size, which is totally opposite of all other major Kamado grill manufactures in North America.  

With any kamado, I'd check the tightness on the bolts before firing.  And check again after the first firing and cool down.  I would also confirm the thermometer is accurate with boiling water.

tom

ceramic grill store

howdy, here is some added information on the pit boss.

It's exported by Auplex in China. Auplex makes them but because of volume, my hunch is, they don't make them all. On the 24, sold at costco, the ID of the fire ring is approx. 18.25". ID of the cooker at the top of the fire bowl is approx. 21.5" 24 Grid diameter is actually 20.75" BGE, KJOE and Vision products won't fit these diameters.

Danson has been in kamados for about three years. Costco is their first real entry into the USA. Louisiana Grills is the brand name, Danson, in Canada, is the parent company. Danson offers two version on their Kamados. First is the big box model, like Costco's. Second is a retailer version. Same design and ceramics, only real difference is retailer version comes with stainless hardware and more money. They have three or four kamado sizes, but not sure what is available. Their little 13" looks cool and good price point. One issue is Danson uses the Auplex dimensions for size, which is totally opposite of all other major Kamado grill manufactures in North America.

With any kamado, I'd check the tightness on the bolts before firing. And check again after the first firing and cool down. I would also confirm the thermometer is accurate with boiling water.

tom

ceramic grill store

I don't think volume is a problem at Auplex. It never usually is in China. [emoji2]

1e6ee29b20c31a5af73b2f1add14e8b9.jpg

ae02077d7f3f6f67dedc672cb63c1fe1.jpg

e96cd610c031a101d47e2c9461615819.jpg

7c263b24d39d418552b50b4665f19af4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'd note if anyone comes across this thread later, that currently Ceramicgrillstore has a grill spider ring and stones available specifically for this grill (in case you're not interested in the deflector from the manufacturer)

The heat deflector for a Vision grill should work as they are the made by the same manufacturer and share the same specs. THE BGE and KJ still unfortunately does not fit due to the difference in which Pitboss measure the grill. Even though it is 24 inch, it is measure on the oustide and not true cooking surface. BGE and KJ measure true cooking surface at 24 so the outside diameters of their grill are more like 27-28.

Pitboss and Vision might share the same Auplex kiln factory, but they are not the same grill. They have much different black matte finishes, one is glossy, the other is matte flat, the dimple patterns are much different, bottom and top vent designs are also different.

The heat deflector for a Vision grill should work as they are the made by the same manufacturer and share the same specs. THE BGE and KJ still unfortunately does not fit due to the difference in which Pitboss measure the grill. Even though it is 24 inch, it is measure on the oustide and not true cooking surface. BGE and KJ measure true cooking surface at 24 so the outside diameters of their grill are more like 27-28.

Pitboss and Vision might share the same Auplex kiln factory, but they are not the same grill. They have much different black matte finishes, one is glossy, the other is matte flat, the dimple patterns are much different, bottom and top vent designs are also different.

Auplex has a bunch of pre-designed products and associated components, but also manufactures to spec:

http://www.auplexkamado.com/news.asp?id=360

Auplex has a bunch of pre-designed products and associated components but also manufactures to spec:

http://www.auplexkamado.com/news.asp?id=360

They do, but as far as I can make out they only supply wholesale.