Sign in to follow this  
MrA

Burn Time?

I noticed on long smokes,- pork butts, briskets- my fire will only last about 8 hours. That's with a full bowl of lump, and 220f- 230 temps. I can snuff my coals after a cook, and modified my unit to pass a dollar bill test. Shouldn't I be getting longer burn times with a full bowl of royal Oak lump ?

I noticed on long smokes,- pork butts, briskets- my fire will only last about 8 hours. That's with a full bowl of lump, and 220f- 230 temps. I can snuff my coals after a cook, and modified my unit to pass a dollar bill test. Shouldn't I be getting longer burn times with a full bowl of royal Oak lump ?

If you have coals after 8 hours and the temps still drop, you most likely have an air flow issue. My suspicion is your charcoal grate clogs up with ash at that point and that's what is creating the problem. 

I stopped using the original charcoal grate and replaced it with expanded metal for better air flow.  The bowl was actually overflowing. My set up is the fire bowl full of lump, three  2 inch pieces of fire bricks rest on top of the fire bowl. The fire ring sets on the bricks, and a 14" pizza stone sets inside the ring, on top of the bricks also. Then a water pan sets on top of the pizza stone, under the grate, which sits on the fire ring.

I stopped using the original charcoal grate and replaced it with expanded metal for better air flow.  The bowl was actually overflowing. My set up is the fire bowl full of lump, three  2 inch pieces of fire bricks rest on top of the fire bowl. The fire ring sets on the bricks, and a 14" pizza stone sets inside the ring, on top of the bricks also. Then a water pan sets on top of the pizza stone, under the grate, which sits on the fire ring.

Next cook take a picture when you fill up the charcoal. How dence/heavy is a piece of the charcoal. Does the charcoal feel much lighter then normal.

Just regular Royal Oak lump. My fire bowl is cracked into 3 pieces, could that be the problem? At 8 hours, my temps went down and would not recover. I removed the setup, and there were just a few little pieces left in the fire bowl. it mostly burned out. my old Imperial burns much longer, long enough to never notice it burning out!

Just regular Royal Oak lump. My fire bowl is cracked into 3 pieces, could that be the problem? At 8 hours, my temps went down and would not recover. I removed the setup, and there were just a few little pieces left in the fire bowl. it mostly burned out. my old Imperial burns much longer, long enough to never notice it burning out!

I cooked in my BC with a cracked firebowl (horizontal crack all the way around that separated the bowl into two pieces) and was still able to hold temps. It wasn't until the body of mine cracked that I had issues holding heat - and even then I could still get a double digit length cook out of it, it just took forever to snuff out coals after. 

Now, that said, there's a post around here somewhere about how I sealed up my BC when it was new with high heat silicone around the bottom slider and extra gasket around the vent cap. You might check for that and see if you just need some extra reinforcement to seal up a few air leaks. 

I read your post about sealing, and small responded to how I fixed my BC to be sure tight, pass the dollar bill test. I have no cracks, no problems snuffing or maintaining low temps. I cook at 250 or less. Most of the cook time is 220-230. 8 hours is all I'm getting out of a full bowl of lump.

Reading the nakedwhiz  side by side of BGE vs KJ, they mentioned outside of the dome temperature. The Bayou has a very hot to the touch outside the dome temp. My old Imperial is just a hand warmer on the outside at 400