Pizza Fail

• 1 month later...

Best pizza so far.

I placed my 13" pizza stone on the raised rack and didn't use a difflecter and cranked up the kamado to full. Threw some wood chips on the coals just before putting the pizza on. The Chips flared up and flames licked up into the dome helping to cook the top of the pizza. The pizza was done in less than 2 minutes.

Unfortunately my pizza stone broke in two, so will need replacing, perhaps with cast iron.

IMG_20150923_202915.jpg

Best pizza so far.

I placed my 13" pizza stone on the raised rack and didn't use a difflecter and cranked up the kamado to full. Threw some wood chips on the coals just before putting the pizza on. The Chips flared up and flames licked up into the dome helping to cook the top of the pizza. The pizza was done in less than 2 minutes.

Unfortunately my pizza stone broke in two, so will need replacing, perhaps with cast iron.

IMG_20150923_202915.jpg

I suggest getting a quality 15"-16" pizza stone, I think you will like that much more than a 13".  I really like my Pizzacraft 15" stone with SS tray.

I suggest getting a quality 15"-16" pizza stone, I think you will like that much more than a 13".  I really like my Pizzacraft 15" stone with SS tray.

I do have a 15" stone, but I got the better results (except for it breaking) from the 13" stone as I could use it higher up in the dome than the 15"

• 4 weeks later...

I use a rather "involved" setup that uses three pizza stones (2 big, 1 small), but it works really well.  I put a big pizza stone on the diffuser grate to act as a diffuser.  Next, I put the second big stone on the cooking rack to actually cook on.  Finally, I add a small stone to the warming rack to radiate heat back down onto the pizza.  I settle the grill around 500-550 and cook the pizza in the gap between the cooking stone and warming rack stone.  It takes a while to get all those stones up to temp, but they hold temp well.

I use a rather "involved" setup that uses three pizza stones (2 big, 1 small), but it works really well.  I put a big pizza stone on the diffuser grate to act as a diffuser.  Next, I put the second big stone on the cooking rack to actually cook on.  Finally, I add a small stone to the warming rack to radiate heat back down onto the pizza.  I settle the grill around 500-550 and cook the pizza in the gap between the cooking stone and warming rack stone.  It takes a while to get all those stones up to temp, but they hold temp well.

Pictures would be nice, if you could share them.

Pictures would be nice, if you could share them.

I will try to remember to take some pics the next time I set it up...

Few notes from my findings cooking pizza in a Kamado:

1. Internal Kamado temp 550-600F, if stone less than 400F, cook time per 10 inch pizza = 3-5 mins. Result = soft bottom crust, browned cheese. The pizza toppings & cheese cook faster than crust touching the stone.

2. Kamado temp 650F, stone temp 500-550, cook time 2-3 mins. Result = lightly browned crust, perfectly melted cheese. Soft cooked toppings with lightly crispy crust, best consumed within 10 mins.

3. Kamado temp 700F, stone temp more than 650F, cook time 2-3 mins. Result = Browned/lightly blackened crispy crust, perfectly melted cheese. This is only good if my target is thin crusted pizza with light sprinkling of cheese. Also hold crispiness for nearly 30-45 mins.

Soft cooked toppings with lightly crispy crust, best consumed within 10 mins.

One thing that I do that seems to keep the crust crunchy until the last piece is to slide the pizza off the stone straight onto a wire cooling rack, cut the pizza immediately while on the rack and then all the juices flow down below the crust.

plus no steam builds up under the crust to soften it like it does if you put the pizza right on a flat cold surface be it metal or whatever.

post-8283-0-82708700-1445453712_thumb.jp

post-8283-0-97516600-1445453954_thumb.jp

Here's mine. I bought the 12" red paver brick from Homedepot, that sits on 3 terracotta flower pot legs I picked up at Walmart. Have great results for pizza and baking.

Do you know what your paver is made of? Most of the ones available here are made of concrete, I'm wondering they would be ok in the Akorn

Here's mine. I bought the 12" red paver brick from Homedepot, that sits on 3 terracotta flower pot legs I picked up at Walmart. Have great results for pizza and baking.

Do you know what your paver is made of? Most of the ones available here are made of concrete, I'm wondering they would be ok in the Akorn

You are right, it is drycast concrete (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-11-7-8-in-x-11-7-8-in-Red-Concrete-Step-Stone-71251/100333084). However, per suggestion from someone on this forum, I have started research into its chemical composition. So far I have taken it to 700F+ from 35F in 15 mins, no cracking or deterioration. In fact it cleans up really well, when exposed to 700F+ for 1+ hour.

That said, I am also looking into getting some custom made red clay bricks. Will post update later.

Wonderful, ordering now. Thanks again.