WilliamTell

Pellet grill as general use grill?

Well it finally happened; my old cheap gas grill has finally died its slow death. While I use my akorn for slow and low / weekend cooks, I'm thinking about what I can get to replace my week night wonder. I know all the old excuses that Kamodo's are relatively quick, but I really prefer to have something that is extremely quick to automatically fire up and cool down with minimal involvement which is why I want another gas grill or pellet grill.

What are your thoughts on using a pellet grill as a general use grill?

I do the same, more gas during the week, more lump on the weekend (not sure I worded that correctly!). The only issue I see with a pellet for daily weekday use is everything will have a smoke profile, and in my case, my family would not be happy.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too, I enjoy smoke but everyone else prefers milder taste for weeknight eating.

But from what I've read about pellet grills is that the smoke flavor becomes even more mild, the higher the temp is set.

If anyone can chime in from their personal experiences with them about flavor profiles during higher heat cooks like burgers, chicken thighs, etc I would greatly appreciate it.

Just thinking, if you have the slightest worry about the pellet grill,  sounds like the gas grill, although not as sexy, is going to give you both the convenience and flavor neutral cooking environment you are looking for. I use a Webber Summit, quite frequently for quick cooks like fish, chops, and such. In fact, I am doing a rack of lamb cut into thin chops tonight. The stay on the grill for a matter of minutes just makes sense to use the gasser and it does a really good job. 

Go with the gasser. This might be the last summer that my current one is around (she's gotten awfully rusty).

I'm thinking about getting one of those Weber Q grills, but want a side burner too. I'll probably just buy another cheap gas grill and hope it lasts a handful of years.

I've used a large pellet for 7 years, a gasser before that, and an Akorn since Christmas so I think I may be able to shed some light on the situation.

1. Gas is extremely quick to get it to temp and start cooking but is limited to what you can cook on it.

2. Pellets give you a constant temp relatively quickly but have 2 draw backs.

A. Extremely expensive compared to other methods

B. Doesn't sear well at all and unless you have a very expensive one can't get to 400F+ without going through a ton of pellets if at all.

If you want a quick cook, flavor neutral device may I suggest you consider also a Blackstone griddle. I have their 36" and LOVE IT. During the week day we use it more than anything just for the reasons you list. Clean up takes all of 2 min if I take my time. It will cook anything. Well, at least I haven't found anything I can't cook on it yet. Cost will be less than any pellet you can find and on par with the cheaper gassers out there. If you really insist on grill marks you can always get a set of grillgrates and place them on the griddle and get the grill marks.

Hope this helps.

While I don't have personal experience with pellet (I was deciding pellet vs. kamado when I replaced grills, and went kamado--obviously), my boss has used a Traeger for years. He just ended up buying an expensive gas grill because the Traeger doesn't grill well. It smokes fine, it roasts fine, but it just doesn't get hot enough to be a standalone grill.

When I was looking at pellets, I was thinking Rec Tec or GMG, which I understand are better about getting to 500 degrees than Traeger, which often will top out around 400-425. So those brands may be a little better.

That said, you already have a smoker/roaster (the Akorn), and you're looking for just a grill. So the one thing that pellet grills excel at is already covered by the Akorn. So I'd go gasser rather than pellet.

Amazon has them for $298.94 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Cooking-Griddle-Station/dp/B00DYN0438

I did a post of 2 different cooks.

While setting up for a Mother Daughter Banquet at our church, I fixed lunch for all the helpers. Griddled:

Sliced Potatoes, chicken pieces, Broccolie, Zucinni, Ham slices, Sweet little peppers. Very Tasty. We fixed Kabobs on 3 different grills for 80 ladies at dinner and kept them warm on my large pellet smoker. Sorry no pictures of all that cause we were so busy we didn't have time to do anything but keep em turning, making and all. We had 4 rice cookers going so they had plenty of rice to go with the kabobs. Received lots of compliments on the cook so it was a hit overall.

Then later in that thread I cooked breakfast for Sunday school and I show a picture of 56 hash brown patties.

I've done Bacon, lettuce, pulled pork sandwiches and toasted the buns.

Omelets for the family all at once

21 each 1/3 pound burgers at once.

3 pounds bacon at once

Pancakes for the family and leftovers as well all at one time.

That's what is great about this larger 36" griddle. You may think it's too big, but the advantage is you can cook it all at once and everyone gets to eat right off the cooker and not have to wait for everyone to get some. Being a large flat top you can also place a pot for cooking on it if you want. You can cook everything for your dinner at once and unless you use a pot or pan on it can clean it in a min, 2 at max. It's also extremely transportable as the griddle top just lifts off and the legs fold up under the grill unit. I can't recommend it enough.

You guys have talked some sense into me, and im going to redirect my attention back towards a gas grill and not a pellet.

Its fast, everyone likes the flavor, and I know exactly what I'm walking back into.

My old grill was propane, but our new house has an outdoor pipe for NG so I might as well use it and get away from worrying how low I am on propane or how many pellets I would hypothetically run through. Im going to lose some BTU's with NG, but think it will be worth the tradeoff. Don’t get me wrong I'm still drawn to the idea of a pellet pusher, but after some internet searching this morning it opens up numerous unintended consequences that aren’t worth mitigating or worrying about such as pellet humidity, pellet consumption, excessive smoke flavor for grilling, problems with electronics, etc..you guys know the rest. Plus in all honesty the pellet message boards are a little bit odder than stick burners or kamodos boards :)

You guys have talked some sense into me, and im going to redirect my attention back towards a gas grill

Dont forget to buy a stainless griddle to throw on the gasser:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=griddle+q&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agriddle+q

I donated my Weber C Propane to a local pool and picked up a nearly idencital used Weber C NG, and never looked back ... until I got my Blackstone pizza oven, and back came the propane tanks.