What charcoal to use? New user

Lump burns longer and cleaner than most briquettes brands.  

Royal Oak in the green bag is cheap, fairly consistent (bigger chunks, less dust) and readily available at most big box stores.  

There are better brands, but they're more expensive.

Sure use it up unless you have somewhere to use it.

For your Akorn lump is best. What lump is a matter of availability and your budget. Personally i would get the best lump you can affort. If you are putting a big dollar piece of meat on to cook, good lump only adds a buck or two to the cost.

Good luck with your Akorn.

Kingsford is fine in the Akorn if you don't mind dumping the ash pan more frequently. The wire style design of the fire grate and efficient use of heat as well as the porcelain lined interior all make it a perfectly acceptable fuel source...unlike ceramic which will easily clog up with ash.

Believe me, I've used a TON of K with absolutely no problems.

Don't believe the hype of lump, KBB(kingsford blue bag) workks great. The advantage is the consisitancy.  Some may complain of the taste, but with the your prefered chunks of wood. 

My last statement would be to experiment and go with what works for you, aftrer all bbq is just like all other cooking ( WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU)!!!!!!!!!

Lots of charcoal choices in TX.  MorganQue is correct, experiment and get something u like. There was a guy on here who used briquettes for low and slow 'cause they didn't burn as hot, pretty smart I thought, worked well for him. I use a mix 'cause i get the best of both worlds but briquettes are cheaper here so ...  I get a bit of grief from the "briquette ash police" sometimes but my tomato plants love it.

I have been using B&B Hickory lump from Academy Sports. I have been pleased with it. Tried RO from Walmart, did good, just a lot of small pieces. As others have said, find something in your area that you can get consistently, and that you like.

I like lump but don't like the dust and crumbs that come in most bags. As others have mentioned, an all natural briquette like Stubbs or Kingsford Competition is a nice compromise. I can't stand the taste that cheaper briqs like KBlue put on food during slow cooks, so that's not an option for me.

I have used every kind available in my area. Kamado Joe, Wicked Good, Royal Oak, Cowboy, Frontier, Best of the West, Im sure I am forgetting a few

My favorite is Carbon Del Sur, available at Restaurant Depot for about $11 per 18lb bag. Here is what it looks like on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Del-Sur-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B00FY2Z36U

Royal Oak is ok, but this stuff is much more dense, burns a lot longer and is made from tree branches, not flooring scraps, and there are no foreign objects (insulation, rocks) in it like Royal Oak. Not that there is anything wrong with flooring and furniture scraps, I just prefer this a lot more